Gaming Games on Wii - No (AA) Anti-Aliasing, do jaggies annoy you?

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
OP
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
I would play on my wii allot more if the games i like to play had atleast x1 AA, or even 2xAA.
Games like Call Of Duty world at war, black ops, Reflex, Conduit are so bad (on the aliasing front) it's hard on the eyes, you cant see far (Anisotropic) because it's just a load of jagged lines everywhere like: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
The wii looks better on an sdtv imho. Its also not really the best platform for the teenage-aimed games you like to play so you're best off sticking to your 360.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
The wii looks better on an sdtv imho. Its also not really the best platform for the teenage-aimed games you like to play so you're best off sticking to your 360.
To be fair, that's a correct statement since standard tv's can hide allot of the crap a higher resolution hdtv or non hdtv shows, i don't notice a worthy leap from sdtv to hdtv for the wii, or scart to component lol.

And nah i'm a PC gamer, i only randomly play on my bros 360 when i pop round his house to play Fifa or something and kick his ass on it haha. ..... that's a thought, Arsenal to beat Man U later this evening in the FA Cup!

I don't mind graphics on my wii, it's just the Anti Aliasing issue that ruins it and prevents me from playing further.....
frown.gif
.... doesn't it bother any of you?

It's like 360 v PS3, of course on paper, you obviously state the PS3's much more powerful, yes that's true apart form the 360's GPU is much more powerful and supports Anti Aliasing x2. And most games run at 60fps, compared to PS3's mostly 30fps. Not only that, but 360 is easier to develop for and optimize and that's why games on 360 look more better graphically, depth of field is further, anisotropic filtering is higher, it has anti aliasing support, shadows are more deeper/darker, everything is better. Of course if some rich 3rd party company decides to figure out how to develop properly for the PS3 they can easily make something that will look awesome, obviously nothing like Crysis on a PC but still something great, to what can be achieved on a 360, but that day will never come.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
UranusKiller said:
...i don't notice a worthy leap from sdtv to hdtv for the wii, or scart to component lol.
I agree with you on the former. But that's obvious, because the wii simply doesn't support HD quality (hint: if you buy a 3D ready television, your games won't be in 3D either). In fact, when I switched back from a very old television that someone dumped (I think it was from back when color television was the nex hype) to my current television (HD ready) I didn't notice any visual improvement at all (but at least this thing doesn't make that soft, high "iiiiiiiiiiiiii"-sound when it's on for longer than 5 minutes).

But scart to component? Oooh, yes. A clear improvement all around. Games like guitar hero 6 still don't look as fancy as their xbox360 counterparts (I don't have friends with PS3's, so can't judge on that), but I don't care. If I want to play a realistic game, I'll do it on my PC (I picked up bioshock 2 from a litter bin...it's collecting dust). I have my wii for the fun smaller kind of games, and personally: I think nintendo aimed their console that way (the thing is cheaper because the hardware isn't so advanced). It's not their fault that big developers want to port their graphic intense monsters to this machine.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
I just wish i didn't have to see such hard jaggies on all objects, it's hard to see clearly. The biggest difference from jumping from sdtv>hdtv is ability to read fonts clearly. I would actual play more often on wii if the jaggies didn't ruin it for me, the graphcis are still pathetic, but i don't mind that, it's the jaggies that lok like strokes of lightening everywhere!

Wii 2 will surely be released in around 2013-14, PS4/xbox720 PROBABLY 2015, Wii 2 will probably be on par with power to the 360.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ugh...is this going to be another speculation thread?

Here are two facts:
1. the wii is techically inferior to the PS3 and the xbox360
2. the wii has good, if not great, sales figures

I think it's safe to conclude from that, that there are people out there who do not mind the graphics the way they are. I'm one of them, but you probably know these people as well. They're the ones who rather play tetris than bulletstorm, or prefer 2D platformers over 3D games (my girlfriend loves the old style Zelda-games...but she doesn't like Twilight princess). I don't know nintendo, but I'm pretty sure that if they wanted a console to compete with sony or microsoft, they'd already had one by now.
There will obviously be a new nintendo console somewhere in the future, but I doubt that they'll have graphic power as the main selling point.

Besides...if nintendo releases a new console that was up to par with the current generation of the competition, then sony and microsoft would release a new console as well (they don't wanna lose clients, right?). And considering you compare current wii games with N64 ones, it wouldn't surprise me if you would come here complaining that the graphics are STILL not up to par with the PS4 or xbox720 (or however they'll call their things).

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Wever said:
Ugh...is this going to be another speculation thread?

Here are two facts:
1. the wii is techically inferior to the PS3 and the xbox360
2. the wii has good, if not great, sales figures

I think it's safe to conclude from that, that there are people out there who do not mind the graphics the way they are. I'm one of them, but you probably know these people as well. They're the ones who rather play tetris than bulletstorm, or prefer 2D platformers over 3D games (my girlfriend loves the old style Zelda-games...but she doesn't like Twilight princess). I don't know nintendo, but I'm pretty sure that if they wanted a console to compete with sony or microsoft, they'd already had one by now.
There will obviously be a new nintendo console somewhere in the future, but I doubt that they'll have graphic power as the main selling point.

Besides...if nintendo releases a new console that was up to par with the current generation of the competition, then sony and microsoft would release a new console as well (they don't wanna lose clients, right?). And considering you compare current wii games with N64 ones, it wouldn't surprise me if you would come here complaining that the graphics are STILL not up to par with the PS4 or xbox720 (or however they'll call their things).
Huh no, my main argument in this thread is the anti aliasing issue, surely everyone is put off by it? It's not hard to add a form of anti aliasing.
And of course Nintendo will release a console way before microsoft and sony, reason being it's being speculated, most of it's newer hardware for the wii has either been a bad success, not sold well or didn't go down well. Not much more Nintendo can do on the wii now. Microsoft and Sony have many years left on their machines.
And many people are simply idiots out there, who in the right mind would prefer 2D graphics over 3D? surely everyone would prefer gameplay+graphics, it's f**king obvious.
People on the PC who play games on that platform try to say they prefer gameplay than graphics? absolute bullsh*t. If that was the case, why aren't they playing on a Atari ST or something? :/
Back to the issue of AA, don'y you guys get annoyed by it? I cant concentrate with it, i don't care of the wii's garbage graphics, it's the fact that i cant concentrate when i see horrible jaggedness everywhere on screen.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Wii graphics "fuck up your eyes" because of the jaggies then you obviously have never played a gaming console outside of the Xbox 360, PS3, and high powered computers.

Truth be told, you have shit eyesight if this is the issue.

Reactions: 1 person

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
If Wii graphics "fuck up your eyes" because of the jaggies then you obviously have never played a gaming console outside of the Xbox 360, PS3, and high powered computers.

Truth be told, you have shit eyesight if this is the issue.
Huh, 20/20 vision is what I have, I have owned a few games consoles and 1 handheld:

Nes
Snes
Master System
Atari Lynx (handheld)
Mega Drive
N64 (Goldeneye was great of course, 2 split screen rocket launching or golden gun) haha.
GameCube (I only enjoyed Mario Kart and Fifa 2004).
Wii (The wii was released at a time when hardware started to become interesting, Nintendo decided to use crap from early 00's? ugh)

Yes I game on my PC, it's not the most powerful money can buy but it can handle the games i play well.

You don't get this annoying super jaggie AA aliasing with a 360, you sometimes get slight issues with the PS3, you can even have bigger problems or none at all on PC.

What has that got to do with it anyway? all i'm saying is the AA problem is annoying, hurtful to the eyes, and ruins the overall experience, you could mistake the jaggedness for an enemy without doubt lol.

2D games look fine on the Wii as you'd expect, but 3D is another matter, all i'm saying is if i didn't ave to experience such horrible jaggies i would actually play on the wii more often instead of like 1 hour every 2 weeks. :/ ....The Wii had all the aspects of an amazing gaming console but let it flop with the idea of gaining an immense profit.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Glottiz said:
Wii looks good over a component cable on my 1080p HDTV.
O'really? what games? maybe it's because people play it that often that they don't mind the jaggedness (unlike me) or that they like to live in the past and not the current/present future in games like you see on a medium>high end PC or 360 (PS3 at times).

ibis_87

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Huh? I do see juggies on the Wii, but I never had an issue playing a game with them. Not that they bother me, actually. I have a 26-inch Sony Bravia HDTV, the Wii video signal goes over a component, of course.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
ibis_87 said:
Huh? I do see juggies on the Wii, but I never had an issue playing a game with them. Not that they bother me, actually. I have a 26-inch Sony Bravia HDTV, the Wii video signal goes over a component, of course.
Guess you can tolerate it, good for you, wish i could, playing a game on pc without AA is unbearable.
smile.gif

Tagg7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, Wii games don't look as good as PS3/360. Get over yourself. We managed fine in the last gen (PS2, GC, Xbox) without AA.

Category

Trainee Romhacker
Trophies
Website
masseffectzero.blogspot.co.uk
XP
Country
If you owned all those consoles, how did you cope with playing Goldeneye on your N64?

AA is a bonus, and the 360 & PS3 have much better hardware that can do it, but its not necessary by any means.

If its a good game, play it. If all you want is graphics, sell all your consoles and watch films.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Category said:
If you owned all those consoles, how did you cope with playing Goldeneye on your N64?

AA is a bonus, and the 360 & PS3 have much better hardware that can do it, but its not necessary by any means.

If its a good game, play it. If all you want is graphics, sell all your consoles and watch films.
Nah i'll happily play on my PC, it's not that exhaustive to add a form of anti aliasing on the wii, it's simply bone idol laziness for sure!

I coped with n64 007 since it was a late 90's game, I was young myself (well i'm only 23 now) but what could you expect for a game that paved the way for First Person Shooters!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UranusKiller said:
Category said:

Nah i'll happily play on my PC, it's not that exhaustive to add a form of anti aliasing on the wii, it's simply bone idol laziness for sure!

I coped with n64 007 since it was a late 90's game, I was young myself (well i'm only 23 now) but what could you expect for a game that paved the way for First Person Shooters!

So you're saying since the games are older they don't bother you with their lack of anti-aliasing? Okay...

It's not you played the games 50 years ago, your eyes aren't getting that sensitive. Tell your eyes to grow up and stop being pussies.

Basically I'm now just perceiving this thread as a big "Bawww Wii graphics suck" thread not so cleverly disguised as a "My eyes hurt because of Wii graphics!" thread.

Category

Trainee Romhacker
Trophies
Website
masseffectzero.blogspot.co.uk
XP
Country
Yeah, software anti-aliasing could be added, but the Wii doesn't have enough processing power. It'd look crisp, but run at 6 frames per second. If graphics are really that important to your gaming experience, I think getting a Wii was the wrong choice.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jaggies do kinda annoy me but even then I still prefer to play some games with AA off....

AA makes things look blurry and cloudy in my opinion and I prefer a sharper look.....

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Guild McCommunis...: Perhaps?! ...all i'm saying is that the terrible aliasing ruins it completely. Instead of looking at an object that should be a straight line, it's just a squiggle of lines running across the screen and it's really annoying (for me atleast) I guess you guys can put up with it. There are a few games i enjoy on the wii, but only for less than an hour, simply because it becomes frustrating due to the jaggedness. There is no escaping it! .... This isn't a grrrr graphics thread, it's just a issue i have with AA.

Category said:
Yeah, software anti-aliasing could be added, but the Wii doesn't have enough processing power. It'd look crisp, but run at 6 frames per second. If graphics are really that important to your gaming experience, I think getting a Wii was the wrong choice.It has enough power to have atleast some form of object aligning easily. That is just lame. Hopefully The Conduit 2 is title that may actually be developed to the core of the wii's maximum processing. o.0

QUOTE(Fear Zoa @ Mar 12 2011, 10:53 PM) Jaggies do kinda annoy me but even then I still prefer to play some games with AA off....

AA makes things look blurry and cloudy in my opinion and I prefer a sharper look.....
Woah someone who kinda agrees to disagree lol, why would you turn off completely or turn down AA on your PC? most games shouldn't need any more than x4, x2 is sufficient on most titles, but some games that use crap engines like frostbite, require 8-16x atleast.

How can you say AA makes things look blurry and cloudy? huh you sure your turning down resolution and not AA? -_-

Have you tried playing Crysis on PC? without AA the game looks horrid, and to me and many people, it's unbearable. It needs x2 or x4, but requires a half decent setup of course, since it's the best graphical game the world has ever seen! a 2007 game which was built for the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool