Gaming Games like Lock's Quest?

Reploid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
This game was in a back of my mind for 12 years, since it was originally released in 2008. But now I actually played it and beat it. Original DS version, not mixed Remaster edition. Indeed, it wouldn't be the same without stylus.

I'm actually surprised how much I liked this game and how engaging it was to play. I remember liking some Tower Defense games like Fieldrunners, but this game is really something else. It has interesting story, light RPG enemies and some action elements, since you control a person that builds stuff, not just an abstract cursor.

So... I want to find something else like this. This game also reminds of Dragon Quest Builders and Herzog Zwei, although very distantly.

Does anybody knows more games that can fill the bill? Basically I want Tower Defense-equae games, but with actual plot and some original in game mechanics.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"actual plot"

That is a harder.
If it was just individual control then some of the plants vs zombies stuff would probably do. There are also a bunch of defend your dungeon against waves of enemies setting up traps each time type deals. Dungeon Defenders and Orcs Must Die! being two of the main things there, though there are others (if you can find the army of darkness one for phones, it being removed a while back, then that could prove to be a bit amusing).

Amusingly enough there was something of a plot to some of the later call of duty zombies, though that gets boring after the third or so run and is more about the people you are with. If that does something for you then very light on the tower defence aspect but Deep Rock Galactic might be something to look at.

Brütal Legend might fit the bill actually and has a bit of a story but is not the best game out there (though some really got on with it)

South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play! could be something for you but we are getting further from Lock's Quest at this point, and is fairly typical of a modern south park game.

Hopefully you played dungeon keeper but if not then no time like the present. The first person control is an optional spell within the game but many find it a key one.

Base building is kind of a thing in some of the later fallout titles but that is stretching things a bit, even if they do have a plot.

Sticking with the DS I do have to suggest ninjatown though it is the more traditional tower defence.

"Herzog Zwei"
I wonder how many people remember that today. For others new to it then if Rampart was the ancestor of tower defence efforts then this was the ancestor of RTS, though also looms somewhat large in tower defence as well.

Reploid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
"actual plot"

That is a harder.
If it was just individual control then some of the plants vs zombies stuff would probably do. There are also a bunch of defend your dungeon against waves of enemies setting up traps each time type deals. Dungeon Defenders and Orcs Must Die! being two of the main things there, though there are others (if you can find the army of darkness one for phones, it being removed a while back, then that could prove to be a bit amusing).

Amusingly enough there was something of a plot to some of the later call of duty zombies, though that gets boring after the third or so run and is more about the people you are with. If that does something for you then very light on the tower defence aspect but Deep Rock Galactic might be something to look at.

Brütal Legend might fit the bill actually and has a bit of a story but is not the best game out there (though some really got on with it)

South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play! could be something for you but we are getting further from Lock's Quest at this point, and is fairly typical of a modern south park game.

Hopefully you played dungeon keeper but if not then no time like the present. The first person control is an optional spell within the game but many find it a key one.

Base building is kind of a thing in some of the later fallout titles but that is stretching things a bit, even if they do have a plot.

Sticking with the DS I do have to suggest ninjatown though it is the more traditional tower defence.

"Herzog Zwei"
I wonder how many people remember that today. For others new to it then if Rampart was the ancestor of tower defence efforts then this was the ancestor of RTS, though also looms somewhat large in tower defence as well.
Thanks for definitive answer. It seems like Lock's quest is still kinda unique game. Just like almost forgotten Herzog. Oh well, Lock's Quest 2 is still not impossible, so let's hope for the better.

Jeffreyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
MonstroCity: Rampage!
Fight the evil genius Dr. Spotnik with your monster squad in this epic city building strategy game. Play with wacky monsters inspired by pop culture and use their unique abilities to destroy other cities. Create a defense strategy, and build turrets and traps to minimize the damage from attacks by opposing monsters.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Edit:
Maybe I mistaken with another game!
an early NDS game, with a character holding a magic staff..

But, at least you still controlled a character instead of a cursor, and gave orders to your troops. maybe it was less tower defense and more tactical.
Edit: It was "Lost Magic". It looked better in my mind :lol:

Original message below:

I was also looking for the same genre of games, where the main character on screen controls troops and gives orders.
It seems this genre is quite rare.

I played "Eco Creatures - Save the forest" on NDS.
Maybe less technical but I had fun to play it anyway.

Pikmin?

In 3D, instead of topdown view, but more near-area focuses, there's Overlord : Raising Hell.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.