shanefromoz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi,

I have 2 xbox 360 1 banned and 1 not.
If i take hard drive from banned unit and plug it into unbanned unit can i use the gamertag with no problems?
I have read that it can corrupt your gamertag when put back into the banned console is this true.
I have also read about uncrippling and would this fix the above issue?

Cheers

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
There is a process that you can use to un corrupt your HDD for use on other 360s, BUT there have been reports of instant bans by using your "banned" hard drive on a legit 360.

shanefromoz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ok so rather then swap hdd i should just get memory unit and transfer saves and gamertag or cant i do that because of the ban?

Cheers

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Got any links to these reports dudeonline, I have yet to see any and would like to read more into it.

Re: original question. The current bans disable file sharing like this (along with Live and dashboard installs) but recovery to the point before the ban is trivial.
Uncrippling can also be done (allows you to swap data is) but it requires reading and writing to the NAND.

Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
A 360 will never be banned based purely on the hard drive plugged into it, unless the hard drive is the actual source of the illegitimate console usage (ie: homebrew). It's not something you can do by accident.

I have modded dozens of 360's. When bans started in November, many of my customers brought me their 360 to have their hard drives uncorrupted so that they could use them on new Arcade 360's. I've fixed over a dozen and not a single one has reported the new console being banned.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Sevael said:
A 360 will never be banned based purely on the hard drive plugged into it, unless the hard drive is the actual source of the illegitimate console usage (ie: homebrew). It's not something you can do by accident.

I have modded dozens of 360's. When bans started in November, many of my customers brought me their 360 to have their hard drives uncorrupted so that they could use them on new Arcade 360's. I've fixed over a dozen and not a single one has reported the new console being banned.

Just because it never happened to you doesn't mean it never happened. There are more people in the world than your (lol) "dozens" of people that you modded consoles for.

It happened to 3 friends of mine atleast, and also happened to my brother, and I was there to witness it first hand.

pitoui

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey mate, same thing happened to me.

I had an elite which got banned. The same day I found out it was banned I bought myself an arcade Xbox 360. I've been using the Arcade with the 120GB hard drive since and had no problems. I also transferred my gamertag back to my hard drive again via live.

Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
dudeonline said:
ust because it never happened to you doesn't mean it never happened. There are more people in the world than your (lol) "dozens" of people that you modded consoles for.

It happened to 3 friends of mine atleast, and also happened to my brother, and I was there to witness it first hand.
If you read between the lines, it means that we doubt your claims. Perusing numerous Xbox 360 modding forums shows that you're pretty much the only one who's ever made such a claim, and now you claim it has also happened to everyone around you. Likely story.

Sorry, but your claim is unfounded. It appears more like an assumption that you made which you are now trying to defend, or simply a rumor you want to see take off. I can't speak for the topic creator, but I would sooner go with the majority than a single person's claim.

You also need to look at things from a logical perspective. Microsoft has no right to ban a console just because the currently-attached hard drive was previously attached to a system with modified DVD drive firmware. They're not trying to alienate their customers, they are trying to discourage piracy and encourage people to play legitimately. They want to sell more systems and keep people paying for Live. They couldn't accomplish that if they judged a system's integrity based soley on the fact that it's using a hard drive that was once attached to a modded system. That would be completely irrational. Microsoft didn't become one of the largest and wealthiest companies in the world by being idiots. They know how business works and they are well versed in legalities.

shanefromoz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sevael said:
dudeonline said:
ust because it never happened to you doesn't mean it never happened. There are more people in the world than your (lol) "dozens" of people that you modded consoles for.

If you read between the lines, it means that we doubt your claims. Perusing numerous Xbox 360 modding forums shows that you're pretty much the only one who's ever made such a claim, and now you claim it has also happened to everyone around you. Likely story.

Sorry, but your claim is unfounded. It appears more like an assumption that you made which you are now trying to defend, or simply a rumor you want to see take off. I can't speak for the topic creator, but I would sooner go with the majority than a single person's claim.

You also need to look at things from a logical perspective. Microsoft has no right to ban a console just because the currently-attached hard drive was previously attached to a system with modified DVD drive firmware. They're not trying to alienate their customers, they are trying to discourage piracy and encourage people to play legitimately. They want to sell more systems and keep people paying for Live. They couldn't accomplish that if they judged a system's integrity based soley on the fact that it's using a hard drive that was once attached to a modded system. That would be completely irrational. Microsoft didn't become one of the largest and wealthiest companies in the world by being idiots. They know how business works and they are well versed in legalities.

Seriously m8 if you aint going to write anything that will help the thread then please dont post at all.
Sorry to be harsh but we only need posts that are going to help not hinder.

Cheers

shanefromoz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
pitoui said:
Hey mate, same thing happened to me.

I had an elite which got banned. The same day I found out it was banned I bought myself an arcade Xbox 360. I've been using the Arcade with the 120GB hard drive since and had no problems. I also transferred my gamertag back to my hard drive again via live.

Ok so i can take old hard drive from banned unit and put in new xbox with no issues.
I then transfer gamertag via live to new unit.
What happens with the saves and acheivements can i still use them?

Cheers

skydoune

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
Got any links to these reports dudeonline, I have yet to see any and would like to read more into it.

Forget this, ms don't ban a console because it has an hd coming from a banned consoled plugged it, it's simply crippled, you can't read shit from it and have to format it if you wanna use it, that's all, no ban on console that haven't been modded. Damn rumors, hate them.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only if you didnt continue to use them once the 360 was banned

ex.
a game save that was saved a few days before you got
you haven't touched it and now put it into an unbanned 360
this will load fine

ex2.
a game save that you saved too or created after the 360 was banned
if you attempted to load this it will show up as a corrupted save on any xbox but the banned one

skydoune said:
FAST6191 said:

Forget this, ms don't ban a console because it has an hd coming from a banned consoled plugged it, it's simply crippled, you can't read shit from it and have to format it if you wanna use it, that's all, no ban on console that haven't been modded. Damn rumors, hate them.

you do not need to format it

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Hey, i'll let the doubters doubt. I wouldnt believe it either if I didnt see it, but I just talked to my brother, and he plugged in the hard drive while he had Modern Warfare 2 installed on it, so that may have been it, or it could also be the fact that he replaced the HDD with an after market one (replaced a 20GB to a 120GB)

Hatsu

Someone's been killing, eh?
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
shanefromoz said:
Sevael said:
dudeonline said:

Seriously m8 if you aint going to write anything that will help the thread then please dont post at all.
Sorry to be harsh but we only need posts that are going to help not hinder.

Cheers
That post was unneeded as well.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
shanefromoz said:
Firstly i want to say thanks for all your help.
I just need to get some clear answers.
Ok i have 2 xbox 360 1 banned and 1 not and want to be sure before i stuff anything else up.
On our banned console my son can still see his acheivements but just cant connect to live.
Also if i move hard drive from banned console,put in new xbox then put back into banned will it mess anything up?
Thanks again.

Cheers Shane

As Joe88 says if it as it was pre ban then it will be OK.
After ban it will show up as corrupt unless you uncripple the console (restore the secdata.bin from the pre ban backup one that should be in a NAND dump) and it saves it again (restoring signing).
The bracketed text more or less explained it but I will write it out in full upon banning in 2009 the ability to sign data for other 360s was removed, this is controlled by the so called secdata.bin and this was supposed to be permanent but one of three things could be done:

Banning was not implicitly linked to upgrades so you could upgrade offline and then

Before heading back online (to get banned) take a backup of the NAND, restoring this restores the secdata.bin. Not everyone has backups though and if you have upgraded after updating you may end up with a version of the code too old to run on the machine (see efuses).

Write protect the NAND: secdata on the nand and by preventing writing the secdata.bin would not be destroyed.

Wear levelled backups: NAND memory is not like a hard drive where it can be overwritten an incredible amount of times, you only have a few tens of thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands) of writes. Knowing this the location of the secdata.bin changes occasionally and the old one stayed on the NAND. You can pull one of these older (pre ban) ones which is all already valid/signed and overwrite the post ban one restoring hard drive functionality to the fullest- indeed the only thing you do not get back is live which is controlled server side by MS.

Re: bans, third party hard drives have not ever been know to be a cause, use of "hacked" (that achievement nonsense) or shared saves has been known- see http://xorloser.com/?p=45 for where I am heading there. That could make for "viral" banning and indeed could explain what you are seeing.

shanefromoz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ok so if i uncripple i can then move the hard drive between banned console and new console with no issues is that correct which means theres no reason to buy a xbox memory unit?
Also with uncrippling do i lose any saves or acheivements?
Thanks again Fast.

Cheers

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Move between consoles: absolutely.
No need for memory card: personally I like to have one around now games are heading down the co-op path again but in your case it is far from necessary.
Lose saves: you should not do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah search Google