Gamecube game listings spotted on Nintendo's website

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Horrible idea. Melee purists will want the pure game experience, and even then I doubt they'd even bother with a Switch VC version, since it'll never be the original Melee.
I just can't get behind a Melee HD or Melee VC. Really, unless you were playing it competitively, it wasn't all that great a game. While Brawl was horrible for competitive play, it clearly outshines Melee as a casual experience, and Smash 4 is the better game to introduce new fans to the series. It just doesn't have a place in my opinion.
I agree. I was never a huge fan of Melee, though I barely got to play it until I got a powerful enough PC to run Dolphin and by then I had already played Brawl lots. The original was always my favorite, in fact I think it still is, that might be the nostalgia talking though.
But anyway, I'm not very interested in the competitive aspect, I only play it for fun, and I find Smash 4, or even Brawl to be more fun than Melee. Especially Smash 4 because there's so much content. My brother has all the DLC (I think) and I enjoy playing it with him occasionally.
It gets boring when being limited to a (relatively) small number of characters and stages. Smash 4 basically has infinite variety.
But I think the main reason I don't like Melee that much is because everyone who still plays it, plays competitively or is learning to play competitively. As a casual Smash player it's not very fun to play against those people, I don't stand a chance. Whereas in other Smash games, I actually stand a chance (even though I'm still not very good at them and lose a lot)
I'm not a sore loser by any means, but I don't think anyone can honestly say they enjoy losing over and over and never feeling like they have any hope of winning.

And indeed, Melee players will probably still prefer to play it on an original GameCube. I mean, they prefer playing it on GameCube over Dolphin, even if it works perfectly on Dolphin. In fact I think they even prefer playing it on GC over Wii even though it's the exact same experience.

Even if it ran perfectly on the Switch, and isn't changed from the original in any way, there'd probably be minute differences (such as in input lag, timing, speed and so on that most people wouldn't even notice) that they would complain about.
A GameCube with original controllers is a very specific set of hardware, it always behaves the same, on the software side and the hardware side, and people used to playing on that specific hardware and software might be able to get used to playing it on Switch VC instead, but the honest truth is they probably wouldn't bother. They would try it once and realize "this doesn't play like I'm used to" and then go back to playing it on GC. And that might be for the best, since it ensures that they wouldn't be thrown off when playing in tournaments because they're used to playing it on VC but the tournament uses original hardware.

The fact that (almost?) all competitive Melee players prefer the original GC controllers over the Sm4sh GC controller is proof enough of that. To me, it feels a bit different compared to the original controllers, but not different enough to matter. For someone who plays competitively, practices every day and so on, it's probably a completely different story. Because they have so much more time invested in playing on a very specific set of hardware, and the way they play is a lot more dependant on muscle memory and timing, if any of the parameters change even a little, they could be thrown off completely.
Notice that while the other three say "undefined" under "type," Doshin the Giant actually has GameCube written there
I noticed that as well. Until I saw that I was wondering if it might just be ports, but nope.

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
"I've spent probably over 3000 hours on melee, "
no ya bro totes hate it bro

No rebuttal or argument, just "haters gonna hate"
Oh you delusional melee fanchild, sweet summer child one day you'll understand.
i understand. i understand that you don't even try to look at melee in the right way.
it's like ppl shittin on balance issues. before they heard it from some ppl on the internet they didn't actually think about it, but now it's "cool to complain"
there's a difference between saying "i prefer new-school style smash" and "competitive melee is garbage"
conclusion
ur garbage :)

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I agree. I was never a huge fan of Melee, though I barely got to play it until I got a powerful enough PC to run Dolphin and by then I had already played Brawl lots. The original was always my favorite, in fact I think it still is, that might be the nostalgia talking though.
But anyway, I'm not very interested in the competitive aspect, I only play it for fun, and I find Smash 4, or even Brawl to be more fun than Melee. Especially Smash 4 because there's so much content. My brother has all the DLC (I think) and I enjoy playing it with him occasionally.
It gets boring when being limited to a (relatively) small number of characters and stages. Smash 4 basically has infinite variety.
But I think the main reason I don't like Melee that much is because everyone who still plays it, plays competitively or is learning to play competitively. As a casual Smash player it's not very fun to play against those people, I don't stand a chance. Whereas in other Smash games, I actually stand a chance (even though I'm still not very good at them and lose a lot)
I'm not a sore loser by any means, but I don't think anyone can honestly say they enjoy losing over and over and never feeling like they have any hope of winning.

And indeed, Melee players will probably still prefer to play it on an original GameCube. I mean, they prefer playing it on GameCube over Dolphin, even if it works perfectly on Dolphin. In fact I think they even prefer playing it on GC over Wii even though it's the exact same experience.

Even if it ran perfectly on the Switch, and isn't changed from the original in any way, there'd probably be minute differences (such as in input lag, timing, speed and so on that most people wouldn't even notice) that they would complain about.
A GameCube with original controllers is a very specific set of hardware, it always behaves the same, on the software side and the hardware side, and people used to playing on that specific hardware and software might be able to get used to playing it on Switch VC instead, but the honest truth is they probably wouldn't bother. They would try it once and realize "this doesn't play like I'm used to" and then go back to playing it on GC. And that might be for the best, since it ensures that they wouldn't be thrown off when playing in tournaments because they're used to playing it on VC but the tournament uses original hardware.

The fact that (almost?) all competitive Melee players prefer the original GC controllers over the Sm4sh GC controller is proof enough of that. To me, it feels a bit different compared to the original controllers, but not different enough to matter. For someone who plays competitively, practices every day and so on, it's probably a completely different story. Because they have so much more time invested in playing on a very specific set of hardware, and the way they play is a lot more dependant on muscle memory and timing, if any of the parameters change even a little, they could be thrown off completely.

I noticed that as well. Until I saw that I was wondering if it might just be ports, but nope.
i pointed some facts in comments above about "melee players wont even like it"
same goes for what i think nintendo should do with casual/not casual issue.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No games people care about though?

THUG2? Why not THPS3? It's superior.
Sonic Adventure DX? Why not SA2 Battle?

Omg I hope they (do or don't) interpolate the audio in their emulation :P

.. I can't finish the joke as I don't remember what you hate :)

The games look like they're from a few publishers, perhaps it's an exercise in licensing over quality of games.

Idk. I'm tired.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Omg I hope they (do or don't) interpolate the audio in their emulation :P

.. I can't finish the joke as I don't remember what you hate :)

The games look like they're from a few publishers, perhaps it's an exercise in licensing over quality of games.

Idk. I'm tired.

Removing or using linear interpolation is not accurate emulation in any hardware emulators, so yeah, there I said it. Haters's gonna hate :lol:

Reactions: KiiWii

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They replaced the Button d-pad with a cross pad. Not very joy-con-ic :P

But wonder if there is Virtual console and is 1080P? Also wonder if they plan to have GBA link cables working, either for 3DS VC ports or something else. :unsure:

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
This seems kind of a joke list but at least there's THU2.
But where's my Pro Skater?!!? 0/10 Nintendo worst company.

That actually begs the question of what games we can actually potentially get, should GameCube VC be real. THPS1 HD was removed from digital storefronts because music licenses had run out. We also saw legal issue be the reason the Wii couldn't get Banjo Kazooie on the VC too. Perhaps some older fan favorite games can never get a hypothetical VC treatment because of dead companies and expired licenses/contracts.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But where's my Pro Skater?!!? 0/10 Nintendo worst company.

That actually begs the question of what games we can actually potentially get, should GameCube VC be real. THPS1 HD was removed from digital storefronts because music licenses had run out. We also saw legal issue be the reason the Wii couldn't get Banjo Kazooie on the VC too. Perhaps some older fan favorite games can never get a hypothetical VC treatment because of dead companies and expired licenses/contracts.

THPS series > THAW or THUG series ;O; :creep:

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i understand. i understand that you don't even try to look at melee in the right way.
it's like ppl shittin on balance issues. before they heard it from some ppl on the internet they didn't actually think about it, but now it's "cool to complain"
there's a difference between saying "i prefer new-school style smash" and "competitive melee is garbage"
conclusion
ur garbage :)

I'm starting to understand why everyone laughs when someone mentions ""competitive"" melee.
The manchildren who play it truly are touched in the head, huh?

Still no argument against anything I said though, which i'm obviously not surprised about anymore. Ah man, too funny.
Still just "ur jst a h8r!!!!!"
No yeah it's uh, not the buggy glitched mess that is competitive, which offers approx 8 of the 26 characters as 'viable' due to horrendous balancing issues, namely caused by these abused glitches/bugs. 8 is pretty generous too, it's more like 3-4. No one except hardcore manchildren can even watch competitive melee because it's just a seizure inducing orgy of bugged out gamecube era exploited splooge all over the screen for 14 seconds until someone wins. That someone generally being fox.

No ya gr8 competive gam bro 8/gr8 so gud i'm jus hatin'.

inb4 reply refuting 0 of my points, only pointing to me being a hater of a game I spent 3+++ years straight playing all through highschool, as an argument.

Reactions: Scarlet

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Remember how Nintendo sourced Roms ripped unnofficially before and used them in their own VC/compilations?

I wonder if they will just yoink dolphin for emulation, optimise it a bit and be done with it, adding any games they can sell from the GC catalog in today's market.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unpopular opinion: Melee is overrated to high heaven, I'd rather see other games on the Gamecube VC. Sorry, not sorry.

Agreed I couldn't give 2 shits about melee, but there are plenty of great games I would love to play again.

Luigi, 1080, f-zero, twin snakes, star fox, etc

Last edited by KiiWii,
Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember how Nintendo sourced Roms ripped unnofficially before and used them in their own VC/compilations?

I wonder if they will just yoink dolphin for emulation, optimise it a bit and be done with it, adding any games they can sell from the GC catalog in today's market.

I'd rather not Nintendo defile Dolphin with their greedy little hands. Sega tried to get Libretro to use their emulators and got shot down big time. Nintendo should write their own damn emulator for once. Wait, never mind, that would require actual conceited effort, silly me.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
OK i go to sleep.
so ill leave here 2 tweets about melee actually making up new standarts. no, don't make excuses. nintendo can make this big.
https://twitter.com/dansalvato/status/895013964593061889
https://twitter.com/dansalvato/status/895331558818631681

good night :) (at least in my place ayyyy)
Nintendo could, but they've never been receptive to fan creations or mods. Didn't Nintendo also kill Project M, as well? That doesn't leave much hope, sadly. I know they're trying to focus more on e-sports however, but even then, I don't think it'll change Nintendo's archaic way of dealing with things.

Should we actually get Melee, I think it'll be disappointing to fans, because no GC controller yet (hypothetically we could see a release of it again like the Wii U, but it's not certain) and it'll be completely locked down. People have been playing Melee on original hardware for 15 years, and via emulation that catered to their desires for almost just as long. I feel like Nintendo would open themselves up to fan outrage if they decided to actually port it. They don't even have a good track record with virtual console after the Wii U. Their NES ports were problem-ridden.

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I'm starting to understand why everyone laughs when someone mentions ""competitive"" melee.
The manchildren who play it truly are touched in the head, huh?

Still no argument against anything I said though, which i'm obviously not surprised about anymore. Ah man, too funny.
Still just "ur jst a h8r!!!!!"
No yeah it's uh, not the buggy glitched mess that is competitive, which offers approx 8 of the 26 characters as 'viable' due to horrendous balancing issues, namely caused by these abused glitches/bugs. 8 is pretty generous too, it's more like 3-4. No one except hardcore manchildren can even watch competitive melee because it's just a seizure inducing orgy of bugged out gamecube era exploited splooge all over the screen for 14 seconds until someone wins. That someone generally being fox.

No ya gr8 competive gam bro 8/gr8 so gud i'm jus hatin'.

inb4 reply refuting 0 of my points, only pointing to me being a hater of a game I spent 3+++ years straight playing all through highschool, as an argument.
nothing here actually says how melee is bad.
glitchy? who cares.. like it actually made melee more deep
8 viable characters? again, no one cares about balancing.
you're trying hard to make excuses cause you didn't try once to understand melee. like the rest of melee haters.
ppl stay play melee for a reason and closed minded like you don't deserve to get from it's beauty.

good night

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Even for a casual experience Brawl was slow and clunky.

Sm4sh 4k when?
It wasn't the best. I had fun with it, but Sm4sh is just so much better in every way, looking at it objectively I really think it's the best Smash game right now. I have a soft spot for the the original (has to be played with original N64 controllers though), but it does feel a lot more primitive.
But Brawl had a lot of content in it. I had fun with Subspace Emissary, especially when playing in coop, and I wish that Sm4sh would have had something similar. You could spend hours upon hours just on beating that mode alone, and then you have all of the classic game modes on top of that, it really made you feel like you were getting your money's worth (Though I never actually bought it :ninja:)
they actually can be. all of the ANGERY shit is just memes lmao. just make input lag as low as possible and dont change the game in stupid ways and it can actually be golden to get rid of crt tvs
and yup, nintendo should make something like capcom's relationship with the sf5 scene while making a new-school smash game which they'll also support
Modern TVs have a lot more input lag than old CRTs, it can be alleviated somewhat with the "Game Mode" or "PC mode" that most modern TVs have that disable some of the post processing. Input lag without enabling that can be awful to the degree that even when just trying to do basic tasks on a connected PC, the mouse will be so laggy that it's almost unusable (Example: Dad's TV, I was trying to install emulators on it and I thought the wireless mouse was just getting a lot of interference because it took like half a second to respond but then every game I tried to run was unplayable because it took literally around half a second after pressing a button before it responded, the solution was to enable the PC mode that was buried in one of the menus, problem solved)
Monitors generally have less input lag than TVs.
But even when all is said and done, the input lag will never be 0 because digital signals don't work that way. Even in optimal conditions, with the best monitor/TV with the least input lag possible, it will not be as good as a CRT, and that's probably enough to throw off competitive Melee players, or even hardcore fans of retro games.
Make the input lag low? I don't think Nintendo can actually make the Switch's connection to the TV low input, since no matter what, it's gonna be HDMI (not component) and even if it's on a Switch screen...which would make tourneys ridiculous, (still not a CRT) I still think hardcores are going to be completely thrown off by any change like that, because it won't be 100% like the original.
Indeed, and that's pretty much what I was trying to say in my previous post, and also signal lag between the console and the TV screen is not the only issue, there will be differences in how long the signal from the controller takes to get processed and how long the console takes to output the video signal, plus maybe some timing differences in the emulation itself. There are a lot of factors that could affect the gameplay when it comes to moves that require frame-perfect timing, there's really not a lot of room for error. Even if you had cycle-accurate emulation (not happening on the Switch or any current hardware, not for GC emulation), there will still be minute differences caused by other things. It's just impossible to get it 100% like the original unless the hardware is identical.
low lag monitors exist :) some ppl actually think we should move on to those monitors aka benq.
and i really think that even if it will have a bit more lag, an offer for full support from nintendo is too big to reject
Low lag, but not 0 lag, and that's the problem ;)

Reactions: Chary

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello