Gaming Gamecube Emulator confirmed?

Gamecube emulation - how are you going to do it?

• Official way trough Nintendo

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Homebrew!

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo gameboy emulator on the 3ds isn't accurate either.
These aren't exactly points you're making, you know this, correct?
Also, it works well enough for me to play soooooo many gameboy games on the 3DS. How is it not accurate? I'd go so far as to say it's super accurate for what it is.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Maybe because PS3 was a Cell powered machine, making it a pain in the ass to even develop games for.
Let alone emulating it.
First off, by PS3-level games, I don’t necessarily mean PS3 games. Take Xbox360 or PC games that were released when the PS3 was Sony’s latest. They all looked and performed more or less the same.

Second of all, who the hell is talking about PS3 emulation?

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
First off, by PS3-level games, I don’t necessarily mean PS3 games. Take Xbox360 or PC games that were released when the PS3 was Sony’s latest. They all looked and performed more or less the same.

Second of all, who the hell is talking about PS3 emulation?
"PS3-level games" is a very specific statement to make, that's why I thought you were aiming at emulating it.
If you're just talking about how they looked and performed, then i'd have to disagree and that it depends on how much effort a developer puts in the game they're creating for Shield, because there are some very good looking ones that perform just fine.

Either way, that's not what this thread is about.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
But I think the biggest reason for homebrew over Nintendo's solution is that, if Nintendo really did make a GC emulator for use on Switch, it would be to package it with single pieces of software and sell it a la carte as Virtual Console titles. That means only a select library of games are playable in the first place. Whereas with a homebrew solution, you could theoretically load any GC iso you wanted. Nintendo's clearly not gonna sell a whole emulator to you for loading your own .isos.
Don't forget the fact that we will be limited due to Licensing issues, like we saw with N64 releases.
Rare titles are a no go, also there are a lot of companies which made games for the Gamecube that are no longer existent anymore, one of those is Factor 5 for the Rogue Squadron games.

That is, without a doubt, the biggest point in choosing Homebrew emulation over Nintendo's.
You won't be limited by whatever selection they decide to bring to the table.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the Shield at stake. It's more powerful than my Shield Portable, with it's Tegra 4 Processor. (The predecessor to the K1 and X1 chips)
I think it's obvious as to which shield is being discussed....

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nintendo's emulators use more resources for example most snes games can run full speed on the old 3ds with a homebrew emulator but not with a Nintendo emulator.
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Hacky, unofficial emulation vs official. Your argument is whole heartedly invalid.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not this thread again...

Dont expect a gamecube virtual console like the shield tv one, since the switch has two modes to develop for, handheld mode will restrict a lot the emulator and im pretty sure it will be pretty limited when it comes to games compatibility. Clockspeeds do mean something in the long run and even if they use the same chip, arround 300mhz of gpu wont do the emulation justice.

Last edited by DeslotlCL,
Reactions: Kioku

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Not this thread again...

Dont expect a gamecube virtual console like the shield tv one, since the switch has two modes to develop for, handheld mode will restrict a lot the emulator and im pretty sure it will be pretty limited when it comes to games compatibility. Clockspeeds do mean something in the long run and even if they use the same chip, arround 300mhz of gpu wont do the emulation justice.
most of the emulators are hard on the cpu, the gpu barely matters as long as it can do the shadders and such, you dont get any improvemente if you have a gpu that costs 800$ or one that costs 300$ dolphin and 99% of the emulators are all cpu dependant.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1