Hacking Gamecube emulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaiKitsun

Trophies
XP
Country
The 3DS is turing complete, so sure, why wouldn't it be able to emulate the Gamecube? Of course, not at a useful speed. Which kind of defeats the purpose.

Jotokun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Home computers are JUST NOW getting to a point where they can emulate gamecube/wii games. The 3DS is an underpowered handheld compared to the NGP which Sony has stated as only being close to as powerful as the PS3. The PS3, while it accells in strongly threaded tasks pales in comparison to desktop computers in terms of raw power. What makes you think the 3DS can even physically do it? It would probably catch on fire, last all of 5 minutes on the battery and get you 5fps at the most.

Now, N64 and PSX? Those are much more reasonable targets.

Net_Bastard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gamecube emulator on the 3DS would be about the same speed as NullDC PSP, I'm guessing. It would just be a proof of concept, nothing more. Probably without sound too.

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Even if it had a fast enough processor, not enough buttons. I think a remake of them to be designed for the 3DS would work, given that they're running modified versions of SF4 on the 3DS...

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
touch screen can be addicional buttons.. anyway.. A gamecube might be possible. Not at good speed though. and they would need to be really talented coders like the coders doing crysis 2. Coding accurate..Yeah..why not. People were like"No!!! N64 on PSP..NOT POSIBLE NOOOO!!" 1 year later... Daedalus beta 1...............................................................................
..............................:wtf:! OH LOL SM64 ful speed.. LOL!!!!

Edwii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I am super surprized this thread has lasted this long, so i feel compelled to add my 2¢
-home brew gamecube emulation will NEVER come to a playable level on the 3DS (as said by many here only now are gc/wii games on pc emulators able to play at normal speeds, and only on the most powerful computers.
-It could be veagly possible that Nintedo develops a Virtual console for the 3DS, but even then I would find it hard to believe it could do GC games unless the games were overhauled and scaled down to better suit a smaller resolution.

Lets look at Nintendo's history of reusing old games and using emulation on newer handhelds.
The GBC had a few NES titles
The GBA focused on some SNES and NES titles and if i recall right had quite a few of the better ones
The DS has focused on mostly on SNES titles but there has be one or 2 N64 title we have seen, like mario64, how ever mario64DS was from what I understand it basicly a full remake of the game not emulated as it was on the wii's virtual console.
Home-brew emulators to the above systems also for the majority follow the same trend when it comes the power of the system.

Following this trend, I'd say its a safe bet that this generation, the 3DS will focus on a lot of N64 titles(like Zelda OOT) where the DS did not/could not. Which may allow home-brew developers to create a N64 emulator. There are many N64 great N64 titles that the DS never saw, it would have been in Nintendo's interest to only invest enough hardware into the 3DS to play titles unique to it and up to N64, jumping the hardware past that wouldn't be as financially effective.

The DS had a hard time in some cases running SNES home-brew emulators, and it was later improved in the DSI, which if I remember correctly at that time could finally run home-brew GBA emulators.

Conclusion:
-GBA and prior - definitely
-N64 - quite probable
-Game Cube -SLIM CHANCE(titles in the future may be seen if they are remade/overhauled as was Mario64 for DS)

Depending on the generation of titles Nintendo re-releases form a older system for a current system, dictates that it can also be emulated, if Nintendo dose not release those titles on the current system then they generally can not. Simply look at the list of upcoming games, and you will be able to tell if it can do it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
if nintendo recompiles from source (ports) gamecube titles, absolutely, especially on the n3ds.
but emulating gamecube? no, just no.

you need a high end computer (recent dualcore or older quadcore at 3ghz+) to do it at good speeds.

the reason the wii (and technically wii u) could do it is because they are hardware compatible, the cpu is the same, the wii doubled the clockspeed and the wii U did that again and added a couple of extra cores.

there is work going on for gamecube/wii emulation on ARM (dolphin emulator) but it slow as hell and to run it even close to playable speeds you need a top of the line phone/tablet, like the nexus 9, or 5X or 6P.
nvidia tegra tablet works ok too I guess.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk how hot of a take this is, but science as a subject sucks