Gamecube discs resetting Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Redah, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Redah
    OP

Redah Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    Not sure if this is the right forum, as it deals with both hacking, backup loaders, and hardware mods :)

Anyway, I have a 1st generation PAL Wii that I got two days before launch. This Wii has been modded with a Wiikey (v1) which has been updated to the last firmware (1.9s). I used to be able to play both Wii and Gamecube backups without any problems, straight from the disc channel. Then the softmodding community took off and so I also softmodded my Wii. I've re-modded it with ModMii, and I am now on the very last system menu and every IOS and cIOS is updated to its latest version. USB Wii loading works fine with USB Loader GX.

I tried to play a burnt Gamecube disc (DVD-R) through the disc channel, and all of a sudden this does not seem to work anymore. Haven't done it in like two years, but I felt the need for some F-Zero GX :D. When I insert the DVD-R, the Wii recognizes a Gamecube disc in the disc channel. When I click start the game should be launched, but instead the drive 'clicks' once (a reset) and for some reason the Wii also resets: I am presented with the Health & Safety warning and are then back in the Wii system menu. Which, again, shows that a Gamecube disc is inserted.

I've spent today by installing a cMIOS (always had a 'official' MIOS) and eventually DML and Neogamma to load Gamecube games from SD-cards. This works... But it's quite a hassle. I can also start the Gamecube game from Neogamma (it resets the drive, then launches the game). For the record I tried to run a Gamecube backup through the disc channel again (hoping cMIOS might help in some way) but again the drive just 'clicks' and the Wii resets.

So, Neogamma works, but I just want to insert my Gamecube backups from the Disc channel and go. I have no idea why this wouldn't work because it used to work perfectly (thanks to the Wiikey).

Anyone have a clue?

2. Anon10W1z

Anon10W1z GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    What's the Wii System Menu version?
    Edit: Nevermind, ur on 4.3E.

You might want to look at this: http://gbatemp.net/topic/321110-poc-boot-neogamma-via-disc-channel/

You first have to install Priiloader: sites.google.com/site/completesg/system-hacks/priiloader

3. Redah
    OP

Redah Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    That's an option, but it used to work with the regular disc channel without any mods (call me stupid, but most of the forwarders/loaders are 'ugly' in my opinion and yes that matters to me :P (i do like forwarders like the one for the homebrew channel and usb loader gx ;) ))...

So I am trying to figure out why this isn't working anymore. The Wii clearly recognizes a GC disc, so I am guessing the Wiikey is doing its job. The question is: Why does the Wii keep resetting itself after it resets the DVD-drive (which apparently is necessary) ?

4. Anon10W1z

Anon10W1z GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    What the thing i told you to look at does is forwards the Disc Channel to a NeoGamma channel included, so basically you boot NeoGamma via the Disc Channel.

No jumping thru hoops.

5. Redah
    OP

Redah Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    I know, and I appreciate the suggestion, but still it's a workaround that doesn't fix the original problem.

Also, preferably I don't want to use Neogamma at all. I would like to just pop in the DVD-R, hit start and go. Like I could before, before softmodding...

6. luckwii

luckwii GBAtemp Fan

Apr 30, 2010
    United States
    I have the same problem...I can't figure out what broke Gamecube backs from disc....One of the newer updates of something.

7. Anon10W1z

Anon10W1z GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    @Redah *facepalm* That's all you have to do!

8. Redah
    OP

Redah Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    And today I stumbled upon a solution: Apparently there is a 1.99 beta firmware for Wiikey v1 available on the official website. I flashed this and now Gamecube DVD-Rs work great again :D The drive also does not seem to reset anymore when launching a Gamecube game, and thus the Wii also doesn't reset.

I now uninstalled cMIOS and replaced it with the original MIOS again, and removed neogamma so my Wii can stay as 'virgin' as possible (except USB loading) :)

9. Anon10W1z

Anon10W1z GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 18, 2012
    United States
    Huh, I found that out before but didn't want to suggest it.

Good to hear the problem's fixed.