Placed the order today for a Funnyplaying "Retropixel" IPS screen kit, and that's the last mod I'm doing to this thing and it will be completed. It has a 2000mAh battery crammed inside (that was a bitch to do!), And the charging board (TP4056) was moved into the front housing of the shell. You can see the charging status LEDs through the shell front when it's plugged in. Modded the power jack to be USB type C with a magnetic charging tip, as with all of my builds. Once my IPS screen kit gets here, this will be my daily driver of monochrome Gameboys and I can retire my DMG to the collection.








This is the first Gameboy pocket I've modded, and personally it was more of a test so i could get comfortable with soldering small components. First and foremost it has the funnyplaying IPS LCD which was annoying as the bracket needed to be sanded in some places to allow it to fit properly in the shell. The second part was a Clean Amp, adjusted to be in the "Louder" position and ho boy is it loud, like mega loud, like 10% volume if that is loud enough. the last major mod was a Clean juice battery and wireless charging coil, the other mods are new shell, buttons, membranes and model sticker, that i've already had to put clear tape on after about 1 month of carrying it. The model sticker is actually the original from the gameboy this started out as. I also realized that i accidentally copied someone else's build off youtube, so maybe next time i'll take the time and design a custom shell for my next project. The only real "problem" is that the amp makes a lot of noise like hums and buzzes.
Attachments
thank you, it was annoying to put together, but a positive about the clean juice is its not a permanent modification, i can take it out, slot in a pair of battery terminals and run it off normal batteries if i have tooLooks very cool!![]()
I've modded one Gameboy pocket, and never again... I think I'll stick to modding SPs. There's far too much shell cutting involved for a good battery mod. (Mine has a 2000mAh battery in it, and it barely fit. I cut the center screw post out and put the charging board there in the front/center of the front plate, between all the buttons.
Yeah, it was tough getting all the wires tucked in and not pinched when closing her all up.yikes, that sounds like it was a pain to put together. Like a serious pain.
finally the buttons and the new speaker arrived. i painted the power led, because it was very blinding in the dark. i also installed a lipo with charging port and the obligatory tft, which i had already reported in my other post.
Small update: I used a shrink tube as a light barrier for the power led. Now it doesnt leak any more as much as on the photo.

Small update: I used a shrink tube as a light barrier for the power led. Now it doesnt leak any more as much as on the photo.
Last edited by ciaomao,
- Joined
- Sep 13, 2022
- Messages
- 11,403
- Solutions
- 5
- Reaction score
- 33,856
- Trophies
- 7
- Website
- m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
- XP
- 27,225
- Country

Really love the UV-printed shell. Where did you get these done?Post your Gameboy Pocket mods!
This is my first pocket mod. I had Retrosix print me up a custom "MediCat USB" themed shell and glass lens:
View attachment 283882
I got it done from Retrosix, it's the cheapest company I could find for a custom UV print.Really love the UV-printed shell. Where did you get these done?
- Joined
- Sep 13, 2022
- Messages
- 11,403
- Solutions
- 5
- Reaction score
- 33,856
- Trophies
- 7
- Website
- m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
- XP
- 27,225
- Country

I see, I'll have a look at them.I got it done from Retrosix, it's the cheapest company I could find for a custom UV print.
Last edited by SylverReZ,
I just wanted to give a small update on my own custom gameboy pocket i had previously shown. It still works, However the rechargable retrosix battery died completely after about 1 month and no longer holds a charge, and somehow one of the screwholes on the shell broke causing the screw to fall out of the system.
That's a shame to hear, I had a screw break off in one of their shells too. (It's an AGB shell)I just wanted to give a small update on my own custom gameboy pocket i had previously shown. It still works, However the rechargable retrosix battery died completely after about 1 month and no longer holds a charge, and somehow one of the screwholes on the shell broke causing the screw to fall out of the system.
- Joined
- Sep 13, 2022
- Messages
- 11,403
- Solutions
- 5
- Reaction score
- 33,856
- Trophies
- 7
- Website
- m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
- XP
- 27,225
- Country

Does that happen a lot to cheap shells?That's a shame to hear, I had a screw break off in one of their shells too. (It's an AGB shell)
Not sure, but probably. Their shell is the only one I had an issue with. I used OEM screws too.Does that happen a lot to cheap shells?
- Joined
- Sep 13, 2022
- Messages
- 11,403
- Solutions
- 5
- Reaction score
- 33,856
- Trophies
- 7
- Website
- m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
- XP
- 27,225
- Country

The purple shell that I used for my GBC didn't like the OEM screws that much.Not sure, but probably. Their shell is the only one I had an issue with. I used OEM screws too.
glad to hear i'm not the only one who's had a shell with that problem.The purple shell that I used for my GBC didn't like the OEM screws that much.![]()
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 396
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 245
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 527









