Gameboy Micro reproduction faceplates!

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Catastrophic, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Catastrophic
    OP

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    I haven't seen this posted anywhere, so I decided to make a thread. Recently, I've seen various custom faceplates for sale on Ebay. Many of them can be found from this seller.

This is what the Zelda one looks like:

[​IMG]

Has anyone else tried these faceplates?

endoverend likes this.

2. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009
    Is that from Rose Colored Gaming?

It looks like theirs.

3. Catastrophic
    OP

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere

I checked out their website and it appears so. They also have things like custom buttons and these really weird sleeves.

[​IMG]

Hi.

4. dibmem

dibmem Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2015
    United States
    Funny timing - I just bought a set of faceplates from a seller on Etsy (8bit Evolution) and Rose Colored Gaming.
    Mixed feelings about the ones from 8bit Evolution - they probably are sourced from the same stock as the eBay seller mentioned above(?).

Overall - they are nice and let's face it - these faces aren't showing up every day.

If I were to nitpick them:
    The Famicom face is more of a creamy yellow and dark pink rather than gold and maroon.
    The DMG face is the same build quality - with colors not quite matching original Nintendo colors. (Which is nearly impossible - how do you 'age' new production stuff?)
    Both have little bit of a texture to them and look like a type of print, rather than something machined.

I picked up two solid color face plates as well..
    The solid colors appear to be refurbished OEM Nintendo faces with a clear coat applied to the front. There are some unfortunate tiny bubbles here and there, but for the most part - totally workable. Some of the edges aren't 'perfect'. Makes me wonder if I could do this myself with some beat up faceplates with some experimentation.
    They don't seat as well as stock faceplates, as they are slightly thicker, but again - this is me nitpicking.

If anyone would like pics, I might be able to do that. (First post - not sure what I can do in this forum.)

Still waiting on the Rose Colored Gaming faceplates. It'll be interesting to compare.

cearp likes this.
  5. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    When I was visiting family out of state, my sister bought me that faceplate. I like it better than the official ones. It feels a bit thicker and has a nice matte finish. I rather like it.

6. serenade.63

serenade.63 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    United States
    this is just made my year, been needing new faceplates as most of mine have scratches, etc. i needed a win after the epic let down of gatewait.

7. Catastrophic
    OP

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    I decided to buy a Zelda themed faceplate from the seller mention in the original post. This is what it looks like on a green Gameboy Micro:

Picture of the Micro

It has a matte finish instead of the glossy one, so it's probably from Rose Colored Gaming as opposed to 8-bit Evolution. The faceplate also fits and sits well on the Micro and is of good quality overall. I'm liking it very much so far.

8. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Here's how it looks on my black one:

My poor old micro

Now I need to repaint the housing, my poor old micro is a bit scratched up.

9. Catastrophic
    OP

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere

The housing on mine is scratched as hell, but I don't really mind because they give off this cool effect as the metal beneath is gilded colored. Goes well with the Zelda faceplate. :rolleyes:

10. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I can see that, but I'm a bit of a neat freak and it drives me insane. I'm no stranger to painting housings, so I just have to not be lazy and do it one of these days.

11. Catastrophic
    OP

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    I've always wanted to try painting a house, like an N64 for example. Do you just coat it with a white base and then a colour of choice?

12. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Sanding it with fine grit sandpaper helps the basecoat stick. Then after painting use a clear coat to seal it.

TecXero and Catastrophic like this.
  13. dibmem

dibmem Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2015
    United States
    Okay - Here we go...
    First three are from 8 bit evolution. Last two just arrived from Rose Colored Gaming.
    gbm-system001.jpg gbm-system001a.jpg gbm-system01b.jpg gbm-system002.jpg gbm-system003.jpg

14. dibmem

dibmem Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2015
    United States
    These are detail photos to show what one would expect from the faceplates seen on multiple websites (as mentioned previously in the thread).

So far, it seems these are all manufactured by the same vendor - My wife (who's also an avid gamer) and I are under the impression these are all from China and are newly manufactured.

You'll notice the trio of faceplates have the same cast / mold marks on the back and the same texture on the top, regardless of distributor.

gbm-detail001.jpg gbm-detail002.jpg gbm-detail001.jpg gbm-detail002.jpg gbm-detail003.jpg gbm-detail004.jpg gbm-detail005.jpg

Attached Files:

15. dibmem

dibmem Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2015
    United States
    These are photos of the bubbles and finish errors on the refurbished faceplates from 8bit Evolution.

gbm-detail007.jpg gbm-detail008.jpg gbm-detail009.jpg

16. dibmem

dibmem Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2015
    United States
    Finally, these are the fun add-on items you can get from Rose Colored Gaming.
    The defacers seem to be created from a 3-D printer and are excellent quality - They work perfectly!
    The 'Micro Shifties' sleeves are just hilarious and we love them. Observe my Micro being consumed by one! gbm-acc001.jpg gbm-acc002.jpg gbm-acc003.jpg gbm-acc004.jpg gbm-acc005.jpg

17. dibmem

dibmem Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2015
    United States
    Ouch - looks like I killed this thread.

18. dibmem

dibmem Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2015
    United States
    For those still lurking and reading this thread - The DMG faceplate arrived from Rose Colored Gaming.
    It's exactly the same as the one we already picked up from 8 bit.

[Hey - don't be afraid to comment... It would be nice to know if my efforts with the photos were worth doing at all... I may be new to this forum, but you don't need to be afraid of me -- I don't bite - much.:blink:]

19. xecutionx

xecutionx Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2008
    United States
    Thanks for posting, going to pick up two for both of my Gameboy Micros.

20. II EXDEATH II

II EXDEATH II Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2014
    Canada
    why cant they make just plain old solid black or silver and if they do im sorry i guess didnt look into it hard enough