Hardware Gameboy Micro reproduction faceplates!

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't seen this posted anywhere, so I decided to make a thread. Recently, I've seen various custom faceplates for sale on Ebay. Many of them can be found from this seller.

This is what the Zelda one looks like:

_57.jpg

Has anyone else tried these faceplates?

Reactions: endoverend

dibmem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny timing - I just bought a set of faceplates from a seller on Etsy (8bit Evolution) and Rose Colored Gaming.
Mixed feelings about the ones from 8bit Evolution - they probably are sourced from the same stock as the eBay seller mentioned above(?).

Overall - they are nice and let's face it - these faces aren't showing up every day.

If I were to nitpick them:
The Famicom face is more of a creamy yellow and dark pink rather than gold and maroon.
The DMG face is the same build quality - with colors not quite matching original Nintendo colors. (Which is nearly impossible - how do you 'age' new production stuff?)
Both have little bit of a texture to them and look like a type of print, rather than something machined.

I picked up two solid color face plates as well..
The solid colors appear to be refurbished OEM Nintendo faces with a clear coat applied to the front. There are some unfortunate tiny bubbles here and there, but for the most part - totally workable. Some of the edges aren't 'perfect'. Makes me wonder if I could do this myself with some beat up faceplates with some experimentation.
They don't seat as well as stock faceplates, as they are slightly thicker, but again - this is me nitpicking.

If anyone would like pics, I might be able to do that. (First post - not sure what I can do in this forum.)

Still waiting on the Rose Colored Gaming faceplates. It'll be interesting to compare.

Reactions: cearp

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I was visiting family out of state, my sister bought me that faceplate. I like it better than the official ones. It feels a bit thicker and has a nice matte finish. I rather like it.

serenade.63

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is just made my year, been needing new faceplates as most of mine have scratches, etc. i needed a win after the epic let down of gatewait.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I decided to buy a Zelda themed faceplate from the seller mention in the original post. This is what it looks like on a green Gameboy Micro:

DSC09295.jpg

It has a matte finish instead of the glossy one, so it's probably from Rose Colored Gaming as opposed to 8-bit Evolution. The faceplate also fits and sits well on the Micro and is of good quality overall. I'm liking it very much so far.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's how it looks on my black one:

0106151714_zps500177af.jpg

Now I need to repaint the housing, my poor old micro is a bit scratched up.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Here's how it looks on my black one:

0106151714_zps500177af.jpg

Now I need to repaint the housing, my poor old micro is a bit scratched up.

The housing on mine is scratched as hell, but I don't really mind because they give off this cool effect as the metal beneath is gilded colored. Goes well with the Zelda faceplate. :rolleyes:

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The housing on mine is scratched as hell, but I don't really mind because they give off this cool effect as the metal beneath is gilded colored. Goes well with the Zelda faceplate. :rolleyes:

I can see that, but I'm a bit of a neat freak and it drives me insane. I'm no stranger to painting housings, so I just have to not be lazy and do it one of these days.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I can see that, but I'm a bit of a neat freak and it drives me insane. I'm no stranger to painting housings, so I just have to not be lazy and do it one of these days.

I've always wanted to try painting a house, like an N64 for example. Do you just coat it with a white base and then a colour of choice?

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I've always wanted to try painting a house, like an N64 for example. Do you just coat it with a white base and then a colour of choice?

Sanding it with fine grit sandpaper helps the basecoat stick. Then after painting use a clear coat to seal it.

dibmem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are detail photos to show what one would expect from the faceplates seen on multiple websites (as mentioned previously in the thread).

So far, it seems these are all manufactured by the same vendor - My wife (who's also an avid gamer) and I are under the impression these are all from China and are newly manufactured.

You'll notice the trio of faceplates have the same cast / mold marks on the back and the same texture on the top, regardless of distributor.

gbm-detail001.jpggbm-detail002.jpggbm-detail001.jpggbm-detail002.jpggbm-detail003.jpggbm-detail004.jpggbm-detail005.jpg

Attachments

• gbm-detail006.jpg
    gbm-detail006.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 705

dibmem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally, these are the fun add-on items you can get from Rose Colored Gaming.
The defacers seem to be created from a 3-D printer and are excellent quality - They work perfectly!
The 'Micro Shifties' sleeves are just hilarious and we love them. Observe my Micro being consumed by one!
gbm-acc001.jpg
gbm-acc002.jpg
gbm-acc003.jpg
gbm-acc004.jpg
gbm-acc005.jpg

dibmem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those still lurking and reading this thread - The DMG faceplate arrived from Rose Colored Gaming.
It's exactly the same as the one we already picked up from 8 bit.

[Hey - don't be afraid to comment... It would be nice to know if my efforts with the photos were worth doing at all... I may be new to this forum, but you don't need to be afraid of me -- I don't bite - much.:blink:]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: 3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a...