Gameboy color games and battery?

Silithas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I got a pokemon crystal yesterday, but the bloody savegame disappears cause the battery inside it is dead..

If the battery dies, will the savegame disappear too?
And how many years does the battery last if it's new?
Cause i want to get a new battery for it, but i don't know how long it will last and/or if the savegame i then build up will just disappear if the new battery dies too...

gothicall

Blah blah blah!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I got a pokemon crystal yesterday, but the bloody savegame disappears cause the battery inside it is dead..

If the battery dies, will the savegame disappear too?
And how many years does the battery last if it's new?
Cause i want to get a new battery for it, but i don't know how long it will last and/or if the savegame i then build up will just disappear if the new battery dies too...
That save is lost, you can't do nothing to recover it. If you change battery you'll be able to keep saving for long time, many years.

Silithas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok, so a save is demanding on the battery to keep it in existence? And once the battery dies, so does the save?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The entire point of the battery is for keeping the save (and time). If you are worried about losing your save later when you have to change the battery again, just backup the save first.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can keep the save if you do one of the following:

1. Back up and restore from a Mega Memory Pack, etc. but some devices can't handle Pokemon games right so read up on them before you buy.
2. Use a Pokemon Transfer Pak with Pokemon Stadium on N64.
3. Use a GBA to power the games while you swap.
4. Connect another battery or ~3.3v power source to the power/ground areas beside the area where the tabs are soldered

Reactions: Shorkio

Silithas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The entire point of the battery is for keeping the save (and time). If you are worried about losing your save later when you have to change the battery again, just backup the save first.

And how the heck do i take backup of it? It's not like i can connect the game to my pc and take a backup that way :P

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bit expensive as a solution, don't you think? :P
I just looked it up, modern ones are expensive. Still, with the things you can do with them, it doesn't hurt to have a flashcart laying around for every cartridge based system. Then again, that's probably just me. At any rate, I was just pointing out a solution.

Reactions: raulpica

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative