1. SkyAeolus

SkyAeolus Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Nah I just don't think telling someone "do it yourself" is a way to actually answer their question.

2. What part of this is telling people to do it themselves?
    Begging for fixes when the dev already stated he didnt know how to fix things doesnt solve anything. Yes, you sound sensitive. You arent even quoting things I actually said.

3. Sonicbrawler

Sonicbrawler GBAtemp Regular

United States
    noticed much less crashes on v8. finally able to pick my starter in a fire red rom hack. been trying since the first release and i can finally make progress. keep up the great work!

jakibaki and SkyAeolus like this.
  4. gdkchan

gdkchan GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Well, I've been working to fix the issues that the users are reporting (the ones that are not directly related to the switch port, at least). I've been thinking in working on a better GUI for the emulator aswell, but as this is a "temporary solution" and a retroarch port using libnx is being planned, then I guess it's not worth the effort for something that will be barely used anyway.

@jakibaki I pushed some fixes to the ppu branch on my repo that should fix some of the graphical issues reported by users, althrough I would like to test it a bit more. If you're interested, it would be nice to see how it performs on the swithc. I'm mostly worried about speed, I tried to optimize it a bit, but then I had to add a bunch of stuff to support blending and window stuff that probably slows it down quite a bit. However if the perf is good enough, it could be worth to release a single version.

5. That is awesome! The community appreciates your efforts!

6. Fer_Elizalde

Fer_Elizalde Member
    Newcomer

Mexico
    I tried too, nothing, kinda sad, I wanted to play it haha

7. jakibaki

OP jakibaki GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Thanks! I'll push another experimental update with them inside :)

Performance is really bad though, for example pokemon runs about half as fast as it does without any of the ppu fixes. But if it's making some games playable it's definitely worth it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

UPDATE 8.5 with the new experimental patches is live now :)

chronoss and Leonidas87 like this.
  8. PRAGMA

PRAGMA GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    The maintainer of it isnt really actively wanting to update stuff, theres tons of apps not on it like the GBC emu GBA emu Checkpoint, Updated Solarus etc

Leonidas87 likes this.
  9. jakibaki

Germany
    I was actually asked for permission to put it on there (which I gave) so chances are good that it will be there in a while :)

Hernie likes this.
  10. PRAGMA

PRAGMA GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    So straight away in the 8.5EXP I noticed the Gameboy Startup Splash Screen's Shine effect is proper and not a circle image looking thing. Meaning there aare definitely some graphical good fixes here.
    But, on the video intro of Pokemon Emerald I notice NO SLOWDOWN at all. Basically full speed. Same with the "Press Start" menu.

By the way, no idea but this COULD have an impact on crashes, Emeral will state: "The internal battery has run dry. The game can be played however clock based events will no longer occur". Perhaps in some games, it tries to request clock based events and cant and crashes?

The Opacity thing seems to be fixed! You can finally now discernably notice when your moving between the options on the "New Game/Continue" and "Options" screen on Emerald. Previously it would be exactly the same image when going up and down and you had to kinda guess which one you were highlighting.

Ingame, In rustboro city, theres DEFINITELY a slowdown. Feels maybe 20 fps to 25 fps.
    But the graphical improvements make this a good direction

There does seem to be a "Fade In/Out Sprite Flicker" for example going into a building you can notice all sprites including yourself flickering.

jakibaki likes this.
  11. jakibaki

Germany
    Hm, at least in pokemon leaf-green the "press start" menu is really slow and ingame it's even worse.
    But it's great to hear that this doesn't seem to affect every game :)

12. Twistedziefer

Twistedziefer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Great job! Awesome work most graphical issues are fixed it looks a 1000x better speed sucks in some games it's not bad definitely playable only game I notice that suffers hard is LTTP keep up the great work thank you @gdkchan!!

13. ownedlol

ownedlol GBAtemp Regular

United States
    IIRC, it's been this way ever since I can remember testing the emu >4 and lower.

14. Leonidas87

Leonidas87 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    @jakibaki you need to speak with @samthebreadman as soon as you can.

The two of you could work together in implementing this with the GBA and GBC emulator no question about it.

@jakibaki and @samthebreadman this is EXACTLY what the two of you have been looking for and need. Together this would be very prosperous.

Video of the game selection screen @jakibaki which @samthebreadman is willing to share and willing to work with.

15. ownedlol

ownedlol GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Seems like TLoZ - Minish Cap is now entirely playable, no fog overlapping the screen preventing you from seeing and performance is the same as it was on V7. Can't speak for other games, but this one is running and looks near perfect.

Good job @jakibaki and @gdkchan! :P

EDIT: V8.5Exp

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    jakibaki likes this.
  16. Leonidas87

Leonidas87 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Yes that is also true The Minish Cap is now playable along with The Legend of Zelda a Link to The Past without the blind walkthrough fix I had for people lol

Performance has gone down in some Games, by performance I mean fps. A Link to the past runs slow in areas with the transparency issue fixed with 8.5

Not complaining by any means.

The clouds are fixed in the Minish cap and it runs good, sound also.

Pokemon i have seen an fps drop but i need to continue testing.

Dragon Ball Z Buu's Furi still unplayable and can not get past the main menue for creating a new game. Along with some other DBZ games, main menue creators new game issue type of thing.

Great progress and to the developer @jakibaki we all thank you for what you have done along with anyone who has helped or contributed.

This emulator should just stick around after full Homebrew release no point seeing it die off.

Has good potential, maybe combine GBC and GBA emulators down the road into one package who knows, just a thought.

All the best everyone and have fun.

Leonidas

17. radaq

radaq Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I’m getting annoying switch crashes with the 7update on pokémon emerald...
    I put 15mins in leveling up my pokémon in the game to have it crash my switch....

18. SkyAeolus

SkyAeolus Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Try using version 8 or 8.5
    I didn't experience any crashing issues with those.

19. radaq

radaq Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ok i’ll try, i was really upset when it crashed leveling up my pokémon....in emerald.

20. SkyAeolus

SkyAeolus Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Yeah it's frustrating to make progress just to lose it. I'd recommend saving often and updating anytime a new version is out to see if it helps fix any issues.

radaq likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Emulator, GameBoy, Advance