GameBoy Advance Emulator port - gdkGBA (works on 5.0)

With the release of vba this emulator is now officially discontinued!

Many many thanks to everyone that helped! :)

I ported the gameboy advance emulator gdkGBA (originally made by gdkchan) to the nintendo switch! (Works on all versions as far as I know)

A0pc3wc.jpg

uMoaxJb.jpg

To set up I strongly recommend putting the original gba_bios.bin in sd:/switch/gba_bios.bin!
After that put the roms into sd:/switch/roms/ and start the homebrew.

As soon as retroarch gets updated for 5.0 this will instantly become obsolete!

source (you need the sdl2-libraries from the devkit-pro pacman to build this)

Known issues:
Sound is a bit weird (it seems like sometimes the wrong instruments play)
Some games seem to crash the switch after a while. (mostly fixed in v8)
Sometimes the switch likes to crash even in games that normally run pretty stable :/ (fixed in v8 I think)
Some games have graphical glitches/don't work at all
Saving doesn't work on some games. If that happens please don't hesitate to tell me and for now you can set (buggy) savestates using plus+r and load them using plus+l.

Please update to the latest version before reporting Problems!

Game compatibility list

UPDATE:
Sound now much better now! Many thanks to @renhei for the fix!
UPDATE2:
Changed rompath from sd:/switch/roms to sd:/switch/roms/gba in order to avoid confusion with the gbc emulator. Also double joycons now work in unattached mode!
UPDATE3:
Merged gdkchans changes to the ppu. Some games that had problems with artifacts on screen (I tried harvest moon) now look much better! However this is apparently causing trouble in some games so I also attached v2.
UPDATE4:
Added proper in-gaming-saving support! The old buggy savestate-feature is now read-only (so that you can move your progress to the new save-files). I recommend removing the old .savegame-file after making sure the new, better in-game-saving works correctly in order to make sure that you don't accidentally load it :)
Many thanks to @gdkchan for fixing some underlying issues with the in-game-saves of this emulator!
Also I added support for the original gba_bios.bin:
If you want to use it (which I strongly recommend since the open-source-one that's bundled is causing trouble with some games) put it into sd:/switch/gba_bios.bin
UPDATE5:
In game saving should now actually work in most games! Many thanks to @gdkchan for explaining to me how the gba handles saves!
UPDATE6:
Recompiled everything with latest libnx. Hopefully fewer crashes now.
UPDATE7:
Savestate feature is back. Please only use if the savegames fail as it is known to sometimes cause issues!
UPDATE8:
Updated libnx (again) and made a few small fixes. If you're experiencing fewer/more crashes please don't hesitate to tell me :)
UPDATE8.5 (Experimental only):
Pushed the new graphics-fixes from @gdkchan. Please only use them if you're experiencing graphical glitches since they introduce a large slowdown in some games.
UPDATE8.6 (Experimental only):
Pushed @gdkchans new fixes+optimisations. The experimental version should now run a bit faster!
UPDATE9:
Saving should now be more reliable again (makes the save-feature work as it did in v7 again).

Attachments

• gdkGBA (v2).zip
    338.9 KB · Views: 501
  • gdkGBA v3 (experimental).zip
    340.2 KB · Views: 250
  • gdkGBA (v4).zip
    337.9 KB · Views: 329
  • gdkGBA (v5).zip
    337.9 KB · Views: 342
  • gdkGBA (v5 with experimental graphics-patches).zip
    339.1 KB · Views: 249
  • gdkGBA (v6 with experimental graphics-patches).zip
    338.9 KB · Views: 237
  • gdkGBA (v6).zip
    337.9 KB · Views: 395
  • gdkGBA (v7 with experimental graphics-patches).zip
    339.3 KB · Views: 414
  • gdkGBA (v7).zip
    338.1 KB · Views: 1,411
  • gdkGBA (v8 with experimental graphics-patches).zip
    342.1 KB · Views: 442
  • gdkGBA (v8).zip
    340.9 KB · Views: 1,047
  • gdkGBA (v8.5 with experimental graphics-patches).zip
    347.4 KB · Views: 607
  • gdkGBA (v8.6 with experimental graphics patches).zip
    347.3 KB · Views: 400
  • gdkGBA (v9).zip
    340.9 KB · Views: 2,094
  • gdkGBA (v9 with experimental graphics-patches).zip
    347.3 KB · Views: 1,185
Last edited by jakibaki,
D

Deletedmember448668

Nah I just don't think telling someone "do it yourself" is a way to actually answer their question.

What part of this is telling people to do it themselves?
If you want to help, either learn programming, or if you already know how to program, offer to help, here's a link to the source: https://github.com/jakibaki/gdkGBA .

Begging for fixes when the dev already stated he didnt know how to fix things doesnt solve anything. Yes, you sound sensitive. You arent even quoting things I actually said.

gdkchan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Please do not get your hopes up with game fixing or this emulator working up to par with actual hw. This project has always been about being a quick fix while we wait for Retroarch to update their libraries to work with later firmware. If you are having issues, dont expect them to get fixed
Well, I've been working to fix the issues that the users are reporting (the ones that are not directly related to the switch port, at least). I've been thinking in working on a better GUI for the emulator aswell, but as this is a "temporary solution" and a retroarch port using libnx is being planned, then I guess it's not worth the effort for something that will be barely used anyway.

@jakibaki I pushed some fixes to the ppu branch on my repo that should fix some of the graphical issues reported by users, althrough I would like to test it a bit more. If you're interested, it would be nice to see how it performs on the swithc. I'm mostly worried about speed, I tried to optimize it a bit, but then I had to add a bunch of stuff to support blending and window stuff that probably slows it down quite a bit. However if the perf is good enough, it could be worth to release a single version.

D

Deletedmember448668

Well, I've been working to fix the issues that the users are reporting (the ones that are not directly related to the switch port, at least). I've been thinking in working on a better GUI for the emulator aswell, but as this is a "temporary solution" and a retroarch port using libnx is being planned, then I guess it's not worth the effort for something that will be barely used anyway.

@jakibaki I pushed some fixes to the ppu branch on my repo that should fix some of the graphical issues reported by users, althrough I would like to test it a bit more. If you're interested, it would be nice to see how it performs on the swithc. I'm mostly worried about speed, I tried to optimize it a bit, but then I had to add a bunch of stuff to support blending and window stuff that probably slows it down quite a bit. However if the perf is good enough, it could be worth to release a single version.
That is awesome! The community appreciates your efforts!

jakibaki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Thanks! I'll push another experimental update with them inside :)

Performance is really bad though, for example pokemon runs about half as fast as it does without any of the ppu fixes. But if it's making some games playable it's definitely worth it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

UPDATE 8.5 with the new experimental patches is live now :)

PRAGMA

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
Why isn't this in the Homebrew app store? Wouldn't it be easier to update through there? Forgive me if it is in there now. When I looked a while ago, it wasn't.
The maintainer of it isnt really actively wanting to update stuff, theres tons of apps not on it like the GBC emu GBA emu Checkpoint, Updated Solarus etc

Reactions: Leonidas87

jakibaki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why isn't this in the Homebrew app store? Wouldn't it be easier to update through there? Forgive me if it is in there now. When I looked a while ago, it wasn't.
I was actually asked for permission to put it on there (which I gave) so chances are good that it will be there in a while :)

Reactions: Hernie

PRAGMA

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
So straight away in the 8.5EXP I noticed the Gameboy Startup Splash Screen's Shine effect is proper and not a circle image looking thing. Meaning there aare definitely some graphical good fixes here.
But, on the video intro of Pokemon Emerald I notice NO SLOWDOWN at all. Basically full speed. Same with the "Press Start" menu.

By the way, no idea but this COULD have an impact on crashes, Emeral will state: "The internal battery has run dry. The game can be played however clock based events will no longer occur". Perhaps in some games, it tries to request clock based events and cant and crashes?

The Opacity thing seems to be fixed! You can finally now discernably notice when your moving between the options on the "New Game/Continue" and "Options" screen on Emerald. Previously it would be exactly the same image when going up and down and you had to kinda guess which one you were highlighting.

Ingame, In rustboro city, theres DEFINITELY a slowdown. Feels maybe 20 fps to 25 fps.
But the graphical improvements make this a good direction

There does seem to be a "Fade In/Out Sprite Flicker" for example going into a building you can notice all sprites including yourself flickering.

Reactions: jakibaki

jakibaki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So straight away in the 8.5EXP I noticed the Gameboy Startup Splash Screen's Shine effect is proper and not a circle image looking thing. Meaning there aare definitely some graphical good fixes here.
But, on the video intro of Pokemon Emerald I notice NO SLOWDOWN at all. Basically full speed. Same with the "Press Start" menu.

Hm, at least in pokemon leaf-green the "press start" menu is really slow and ingame it's even worse.
But it's great to hear that this doesn't seem to affect every game :)

Twistedziefer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great job! Awesome work most graphical issues are fixed it looks a 1000x better speed sucks in some games it's not bad definitely playable only game I notice that suffers hard is LTTP keep up the great work thank you @gdkchan!!

ownedlol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way, no idea but this COULD have an impact on crashes, Emeral will state: "The internal battery has run dry. The game can be played however clock based events will no longer occur". Perhaps in some games, it tries to request clock based events and cant and crashes?

IIRC, it's been this way ever since I can remember testing the emu >4 and lower.

Leonidas87

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
@jakibaki you need to speak with @samthebreadman as soon as you can.

The two of you could work together in implementing this with the GBA and GBC emulator no question about it.

@jakibaki and @samthebreadman this is EXACTLY what the two of you have been looking for and need. Together this would be very prosperous.

Video of the game selection screen @jakibaki which @samthebreadman is willing to share and willing to work with.

ownedlol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like TLoZ - Minish Cap is now entirely playable, no fog overlapping the screen preventing you from seeing and performance is the same as it was on V7. Can't speak for other games, but this one is running and looks near perfect.

Good job @jakibaki and @gdkchan! :P

EDIT: V8.5Exp

Last edited by ownedlol,
Reactions: jakibaki

Leonidas87

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Seems like TLoZ - Minish Cap is now entirely playable, no fog overlapping the screen preventing you from seeing and performance is the same as it was on V7. Can't speak for other games, but this one is running and looks near perfect.

Good job @jakibaki and @gdkchan! :P

EDIT: V8.5Exp

Yes that is also true The Minish Cap is now playable along with The Legend of Zelda a Link to The Past without the blind walkthrough fix I had for people lol

Performance has gone down in some Games, by performance I mean fps. A Link to the past runs slow in areas with the transparency issue fixed with 8.5

Not complaining by any means.

The clouds are fixed in the Minish cap and it runs good, sound also.

Pokemon i have seen an fps drop but i need to continue testing.

Dragon Ball Z Buu's Furi still unplayable and can not get past the main menue for creating a new game. Along with some other DBZ games, main menue creators new game issue type of thing.

Great progress and to the developer @jakibaki we all thank you for what you have done along with anyone who has helped or contributed.

This emulator should just stick around after full Homebrew release no point seeing it die off.

Has good potential, maybe combine GBC and GBA emulators down the road into one package who knows, just a thought.

All the best everyone and have fun.

Leonidas

radaq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ported the gameboy advance emulator gdkGBA (originally made by gdkchan) to the nintendo switch! (Works on all versions as far as I know)

A0pc3wc.jpg

uMoaxJb.jpg

To set up I strongly recommend putting the original gba_bios.bin in sd:/switch/gba_bios.bin!
After that put the roms into sd:/switch/roms/ and start the homebrew.

As soon as retroarch gets updated for 5.0 this will instantly become obsolete!

source (you need the sdl2-libraries from the devkit-pro pacman to build this)

Known issues:
Sound is a bit weird (it seems like sometimes the wrong instruments play)
Some games seem to crash the switch after a while.
Sometimes the switch likes to crash even in games that normally run pretty stable :/
Some games have graphical glitches/don't work at all
Saving doesn't work on some games. If that happens please don't hesitate to tell me and for now you can set (buggy) savestates using plus+r and load them using plus+l.

Game compatibility list

UPDATE:
Sound now much better now! Many thanks to @renhei for the fix!
UPDATE2:
Changed rompath from sd:/switch/roms to sd:/switch/roms/gba in order to avoid confusion with the gbc emulator. Also double joycons now work in unattached mode!
UPDATE3:
Merged gdkchans changes to the ppu. Some games that had problems with artifacts on screen (I tried harvest moon) now look much better! However this is apparently causing trouble in some games so I also attached v2.
UPDATE4:
Added proper in-gaming-saving support! The old buggy savestate-feature is now read-only (so that you can move your progress to the new save-files). I recommend removing the old .savegame-file after making sure the new, better in-game-saving works correctly in order to make sure that you don't accidentally load it :)
Many thanks to @gdkchan for fixing some underlying issues with the in-game-saves of this emulator!
Also I added support for the original gba_bios.bin:
If you want to use it (which I strongly recommend since the open-source-one that's bundled is causing trouble with some games) put it into sd:/switch/gba_bios.bin
UPDATE5:
In game saving should now actually work in most games! Many thanks to @gdkchan for explaining to me how the gba handles saves!
UPDATE6:
Recompiled everything with latest libnx. Hopefully fewer crashes now.
UPDATE7:
Savestate feature is back. Please only use if the savegames fail as it is known to sometimes cause issues!
UPDATE8:
Updated libnx (again) and made a few small fixes. If you're experiencing fewer/more crashes please don't hesitate to tell me :)
UPDATE8.5 (Experimental only):
Pushed the new graphics-fixes from @gdkchan. Please only use them if you're experiencing graphical glitches since they introduce a large slowdown in some games.

I’m getting annoying switch crashes with the 7update on pokémon emerald...
I put 15mins in leveling up my pokémon in the game to have it crash my switch....

SkyAeolus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m getting annoying switch crashes with the 7update on pokémon emerald...
I put 15mins in leveling up my pokémon in the game to have it crash my switch....

Try using version 8 or 8.5
I didn't experience any crashing issues with those.

SkyAeolus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok i’ll try, i was really upset when it crashed leveling up my pokémon....in emerald.
Yeah it's frustrating to make progress just to lose it. I'd recommend saving often and updating anytime a new version is out to see if it helps fix any issues.

Reactions: radaq

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I get what they were trying to say but what the ad actually says is "we tried to cram a ton of... +1