1. jakibaki

OP jakibaki GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Someone submitted a pull request a few days ago which generally cleaned up the repo (which I greatly appreciate) so you probably mean that :)

However the fixes in v8.5 are entirely @gdkchans work.

A port of vba would be pretty great since it supports more features and most likely performs much better so I'm looking forward to that if it happens!

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  2. SkyAeolus

SkyAeolus Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I don't know the lingo but yes! He did that thing you said. He's a rare breed and just picked up a switch JUST to get into the hacking scene.
    He's got other larger projects for after gba is up and running smoothly, but I'll let him surprise people for what he'll do.

jakibaki likes this.
  3. radaq

radaq Member
    Newcomer

United States
    You can’t reveal anytning? snes would be nice or even start working on ns4. c:

4. SkyAeolus

SkyAeolus Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I just don't reserve the right, It isn't anything related to gaming though so it would be off topic anyway.

radaq likes this.
  5. radaq

radaq Member
    Newcomer

United States
    yeah true, I wouldn't want someone showing everyone my wip art without my permission.
    Really odd you would buy the switch just for hacking...

6. jakibaki

Germany
    Well if you want to get into console-hacking the switch is a pretty great choice :).

An active community, pretty great toolchain, proper documentation and still a lot of homebrew/emulators that haven't been done already so it's still easy to contribute.

Also the architecture of the switch os is really fascinating so once atmosphere is out writing kernel modules (services?) is going to be something that's going to be fun to learn/do.

JJTapia19 and radaq like this.
  7. radaq

radaq Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I guess but that's the solely purpose you bought one? Not only that but piracy is going to be a huge program so I wonder what Nintendo is going to do next. They might have a way to see who is using a hack switch and ban them from online.

8. jsan

jsan Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    Hi ownedlol, thanks for reporting on the playability of minish cap. How about the sound, did it get any better? I'll try it tonight once I put the baby to sleep, can't wait!

9. Indigo Marz

Indigo Marz Indigo Marz - No HooX

United States

10. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I was thinking the exact same thing to be honest. If you look back at the wii and wiiu emulator wise; we had a great thing going with the likes of; fce ultra gx, vba gx , snes gx. Not that I dont applaud the work being done already and so quite early in the development chain. Just I am not sure what would be the 'better' aproach.

11. SkyAeolus

SkyAeolus Member
    Newcomer

United States
    4.1 - 5.0.2

12. Samus20XX

Samus20XX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's completely fair because the guy who started this port called it exactly that.

Y'all are endlessly tagging this guy in your posts, chill out.

13. XCJLongbow

XCJLongbow Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Porting a simple, no-frills, no-GUI emulator like this one is magnitudes easier and quicker to do than to port something more complex like VBA. This was the quickest way to get us a functional emulator, and I applaud it.

That said, I'm working on VBA, but it's a much different beast. If you can contribute to projects like these, please do, but otherwise try to support and encourage what's being done - porting emulators, especially complex and GUI-filled ones, isn't a simple task.

zeldaism, SkyAeolus, ownedlol and 3 others like this.
  14. gdkchan

gdkchan GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Thanks for reporting this issue. I already fixed it on my ppu branch.
    I also started working to optimize it a bit more, however I won't have time today so I will continue the work tomorrow. I will also look into the games that aren't starting due to save issues after that (hopefully will have time to do both tomorrow).

15. PatrickD85

Netherlands
    Nah I am not bashing it in any way. Don't get me wrong there.
    The fact that you mention GUI and all is pretty clear, we are still at the infancy of the Switch scene, and already so many things are happening. And I applaud that for sure.

In regard to helping out ... if only I really had the time (and the actual skill) to do so when it comes to porting. I can help in other ways sure (testing, setting up hosting etc (if wanted by anyone in the scene this is a open invite to contact me for that)

But sadly both (time and the porting skills) are a bit lacking on my end due to other projects, work, family and so on.
    (it's even a real feat being able to take some time to come here and interact at a decent level)

PS: cool to hear about your steps in porting VBA; be sure to let people know you are looking for help. More hands make work easier in the long run and I am sure a lot of people would want to get their hands 'dirty'.

16. JJTapia19

JJTapia19 I fight for my friends.

Puerto Rico
    Read my post again slower and maybe you'll understand what I meant. You already did? Good job! Now read this.

Do you understand what I meant now? Hope you do. Also, I didn't know tagging him also notified and bother you or any other user. It doesn't? Then why do you care?

17. jakibaki

Germany
    As always thank you very much! :) I pushed what you've done so far into another experimental release.

KuraudoSutoraifu likes this.
  18. ownedlol

ownedlol GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, realistically how far do you think you are from competing with the VBA emulator?
    To me, it seems like you're making steady progress daily... And who knows, by the time Retroarch/VBA emu is updated you might even be there.

PatrickD85 likes this.
  19. PatrickD85

Netherlands
    And this is one of the core reasons I am asking. WHEN and IF vba will come ....
    Therefore development in each direction is a good one :)

20. D0ct0r

D0ct0r Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I'm still having the issue where this emulator keeps randomly deleting all my save data on all my ROMs. Even though the sav files and save states are still there and everything.

I even tried to bring over save data from my mGBA emulator from my 3DS, but nothing is working? How can I fix this? It's making the entire emulator unusable for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Emulator, GameBoy, Advance