Game & Wario Pictionary (Sketch) Minigame - Modding possible?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by myuuji, Aug 6, 2016.

1. myuuji
    OP

myuuji Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Hey there,
    I've been enjoying the pictionary minigame of "Game & Wario" a lot with friends for 2 years.
    Of course, after a while the words get repetitive so I wonder if there's somewhere (more or less) a simple text file in the game's data to change/add words?

2. handy333

handy333 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 8, 2010
    United States
    Over in Wonderlust
    I've never took a look at that mini game but I'll check and see what I can do.

myuuji likes this.
  3. myuuji
    OP

myuuji Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2008
    Gambia, The
    It's a simple yet amazing mini game. Lots of fun! Thank you :)

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. handy333

handy333 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 8, 2010
    United States
    Over in Wonderlust
    I want to guess that it's in one of those lyt files in folders draw1 or draw2. I can't find a way to extract them. I wish I could figure out a way to decompress packages like that by hand. I've been trying to do that for djmax for years.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  5. myuuji
    OP

myuuji Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2008
    Gambia, The
    This sounds very close to the goal! The game has two drawing minigames. One is singleplayer pictionary tied with Miiverse and the other one is offline multiplayer only.
    Is there anything we can do at this point?

6. handy333

handy333 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 8, 2010
    United States
    Over in Wonderlust
    I want to try to extract them using a bunch of WII tools. I doubt it'll work but you got me curious.

fejich and myuuji like this.
  7. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    They are ZLIB compressed with SARC files inside. At least for the one file I tested in a Lyt folder. Not sure if they are all SARC inside the ZLIB files, but the fzip files are ZLIB files with a different header on them. I would share an extracted file, but it would be illegal to share.

Byte 0x00 - 0x04: is the FZIP Header
    Byte 0x05 - 0x08: is the size of the decompressed file
    Byte 0x08 - end of file: is the actual ZLIB compressed file

Edit 1: The file in the common/msg folder is a WARC file which looks like a SARC file when decompressed, but the contents can easily be read. Starting at offset 0x1A6B4, it looks like that might be the word list in Unicode format.

extracted-word-list.png

Even if that isn't a word list for that game, there are some other TXT2 files inside the WARC file that have random words in them too. One of them has to be the word list used.

If anyone needs more specific info, I'll be glad to help. I wish I had the motivation to create an editor for the game, it would be simple to do, but at this moment, I'm just not up to it. Sorry.

Edit 2: After some further research though, I discovered that the WARC file actually contained MSBT files in it, and there are some tools available to edit those. So if the WARC file header can be decoded to easily edit, then the MSBT files within it can easily be edited. Right now, you can easily copy/paste the MSBT section out, save as a MSBT file, open in a MSBT editor, change the words, save the file, copy/paste the code from that back into the WARC file, making sure the file size is smaller, since the header isn't quite figured out yet. Then you can recompress the file with zlib, add the header back on, and then replace the game file with it. This is fairly easy and basic modding, and hopefully I've given enough info for anyone that feels like making an editor, so they can make one, hopefully a well designed one with a GUI, and not some command line hack ...

Here is a MSBT file I extracted with a hex editor opened up in the MSBT Editor Reloaded which can be found here - https://github.com/IcySon55/3DLandMSBTeditor/releases/tag/v0.9.1
    The release thread for it is here - https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-msbt-editor-reloaded.406208/

msbt-editor.png

Last edited by brienj, Aug 6, 2016
  8. myuuji
    OP

myuuji Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2008
    Gambia, The
    @brienj That's worth a medal, Sir! I owe you one. This is fantastic research.
    So this is possible without an editor, just takes more time to do as far as I understand?

I'd gladly donate if someone was willing to do a nice editor for this game.

9. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    You need a zlib tool to decompress the fzip files, but the header needs modified to have it recognized as a zlib file. Then you need a SARC tool to extract files from SARC file, or you have to manually extract MSBT files from any WARC file with a hex editor. Then edit the files with any available editor if any, the MSBT do have an editor for them. After editing, put the files back, SARC files have a tool for them, WARC files currently don't, or at least I couldn't find one. Then when it's put back together, just compress with ZLIB and change the header to a correct one for FZIP files, I posted the header info. Then just put the modified file back in the game folder. There isn't any editor that does all this right now, but I might make one, I can't promise it though.

SirBeethoven and myuuji like this.
  10. myuuji
    OP

myuuji Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate your input!

brienj likes this.
  11. handy333

handy333 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 8, 2010
    United States
    Over in Wonderlust
    for some reason I didn't see the notifications for the replies. Anyways I was came back to say that I had no luck but thanks for the info. I would like to know more about file structures and stuff like that. Where would I look?

12. kavid

kavid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    this fzip extract script ´╝îquickbms

# Game & Wario - File Decompression
    # Written by Random Talking Bush

endian big
    comtype COMP_UNZIP_DYNAMIC

idstring FZIP
    get ZSIZE asize
    math ZSIZE -= 8