Game poll of the week: SRPGs vs. Traditional JRPGs

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by VVoltz, Oct 12, 2008.

?

SRPGs or Traditional JRPGs?

1. Strategy RPGs all the way!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Japanese RPGs off course!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I love them both!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't like RPGs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. VVoltz
    OP

VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Nov 6, 2002
    USA
    Make your voice heard!

2. Law

Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

Aug 14, 2007
    ‭jerkland
    I like them both. A hybrid is fine too.

3. da_head

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    frig i meant to say i love both styles

(though i didn't like tactics to much)

4. Seven

Seven oh hell no

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    I tend to slide off into the JRPG side, but I do go for SRPGs once in a while (Tactics Ogre!)

5. Banger

Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

Oct 31, 2007
    United States
    Jap for me!

6. Absynthe

Absynthe GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2008
    Italy
    The Isle of Everywhere
    I love 'em both

7. Noitora

Noitora ::

Aug 9, 2007
    Greece
    Athens
    It's offending to say jap, you can use a word like JP or JPN.

8. VVoltz
    OP

VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Nov 6, 2002
    USA
    How about just Pan?

9. shadowboy

shadowboy :D

Aug 30, 2006
    United States
    SRPGs are more challenging.
    And Disgaea + FFT are the two best game stories ever.
    But pokemon was a JRPG and it rocks, so I say tie.

10. Banger

Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

Oct 31, 2007
    United States
    Fine I Personally prefer Pan pizzas... I mean RPG's

11. ojsinnerz.

ojsinnerz. Damned

Oct 27, 2007
    Canada
    Canada
    I love both, and I play both....

12. Raika

Raika uguu

Sep 15, 2008
    uguu
    i love them both, but i guess you can say that i lean more towards SRPGs [​IMG]

13. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    I burnt myself out on RPG's of any kind way back in the C64 days. Anymore, when I try to play them, I just get bored, or I'll start playing them for awhile and then loathe booting it up again after playing a session or two. This happened to me with Zelda, the FF games and most of the other RPG offerings on the DS. In fact, I think Eragon was the only RPG (and that was an action RPG) I ever played all the way through on the DS.

I played EVERY Gold Box Edition D&D RPG for the C64, mapping out the dungeons on graph paper. Those were SRPG's. I played all the Questron's, the Phantasie's, touched into Bard's Tale, but couldn't get into it.....there was one from Epyx called Legend of Blacksilver that I enjoyed. Those were more traditional RPG's. There was an odd one called King's Bounty that I liked. There was even this one pretty cool one call Space Rogue that was loads of fun (fly through space like Elite, then land on planets and explore around like a regular RPG....it was sweet). I'm sure there at least a dozen more I've forgotten. I finished ALL of them too.

But today.....they just don't have the appeal they once did for me. Maybe it's the whole Japanese craze (super-deformed characters) that I just can't get into, I don't know, but the last RPG I really enjoyed was FF7. They just all seem like I've been-there-done-that or they bore me with blah-blah story that I don't care about and only bother with to find out where to go or what to do next. Possibly, it's the "pirate syndrome", maybe it's the fact that I generally just don't have the time to play a long drawn-out epic these days and by the time I get around to loading it back up, I can't remember what I was doing in it, or it might even be middle-age crisis hitting me or just a generation gap in the style that has become popular these days. I tend to prefer a nice shoot'em-up, or otherwise action-packed games now. Games such as Geometry Wars, Speed Racer, EBA, Bleach and the old-school arcade compilations are among my favorites on the DS now. If they re-made the old RPG's I used to love on the C64, with improved graphics and an American look to them, as opposed to that super-deformed Japanese style, I could probably get back into them.

So, when it comes to SRPG's vs. traditional RPG's, I really have no preference. The game just has to hold my interest and lately RPG's just don't seem to do that anymore.

But then, as I've always said, I have a very different taste in games than just about anyone I know. Probably has something to do with the fact that I've played so many games in my life and the fact that I'm 40.

14. eclipsevader123

eclipsevader123 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    in your room +D
    I'm a fan of strategy RPGs

15. dice

dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

Former Staff
    Oct 26, 2002
    England
    "love" is too strong a word for me to use but I certainly have enjoyed playing many of both types of RPGs.

16. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    SRPG, like Fire Emblem [​IMG]

17. Joey R.

Joey R. Banned

Banned
    Jul 7, 2008
    Oviedo, Asturias
    I vote for JRPGs. I like them both, but I've got more fun from traditional RPGs like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and such than from SRPGs. I've loved to death FFTactics Advance, though...

18. xcalibur

xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

Jun 2, 2007
    Sacred Heart
    Its a bit tough to decide. The story on SRPG's tend to be better but the game itself gets repeptitve quickly unless its exceptionally good (Disgaea) but Jrpg's tend to experiment a bit (FF12 comes to mind) with either battle systems or levelling and that keeps things interesting.

I'd have to go with Jrpg's though simply becuase I played more of them and really enjoy them.

19. Jax

Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Jul 31, 2006
    Portugal
    L.A.V.
    SRPGs bore me to death!

20. Doomsday Forte

Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2007
    United States
    Both genres are fine with me. I like SRPGs as much as JRPGs, though as to which one I like better...naaaaaah.