nyanya.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I burnt myself out on RPG's of any kind way back in the C64 days. Anymore, when I try to play them, I just get bored, or I'll start playing them for awhile and then loathe booting it up again after playing a session or two. This happened to me with Zelda, the FF games and most of the other RPG offerings on the DS. In fact, I think Eragon was the only RPG (and that was an action RPG) I ever played all the way through on the DS.

I played EVERY Gold Box Edition D&D RPG for the C64, mapping out the dungeons on graph paper. Those were SRPG's. I played all the Questron's, the Phantasie's, touched into Bard's Tale, but couldn't get into it.....there was one from Epyx called Legend of Blacksilver that I enjoyed. Those were more traditional RPG's. There was an odd one called King's Bounty that I liked. There was even this one pretty cool one call Space Rogue that was loads of fun (fly through space like Elite, then land on planets and explore around like a regular RPG....it was sweet). I'm sure there at least a dozen more I've forgotten. I finished ALL of them too.

But today.....they just don't have the appeal they once did for me. Maybe it's the whole Japanese craze (super-deformed characters) that I just can't get into, I don't know, but the last RPG I really enjoyed was FF7. They just all seem like I've been-there-done-that or they bore me with blah-blah story that I don't care about and only bother with to find out where to go or what to do next. Possibly, it's the "pirate syndrome", maybe it's the fact that I generally just don't have the time to play a long drawn-out epic these days and by the time I get around to loading it back up, I can't remember what I was doing in it, or it might even be middle-age crisis hitting me or just a generation gap in the style that has become popular these days. I tend to prefer a nice shoot'em-up, or otherwise action-packed games now. Games such as Geometry Wars, Speed Racer, EBA, Bleach and the old-school arcade compilations are among my favorites on the DS now. If they re-made the old RPG's I used to love on the C64, with improved graphics and an American look to them, as opposed to that super-deformed Japanese style, I could probably get back into them.

So, when it comes to SRPG's vs. traditional RPG's, I really have no preference. The game just has to hold my interest and lately RPG's just don't seem to do that anymore.

But then, as I've always said, I have a very different taste in games than just about anyone I know. Probably has something to do with the fact that I've played so many games in my life and the fact that I'm 40.

Joey R.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I vote for JRPGs. I like them both, but I've got more fun from traditional RPGs like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and such than from SRPGs. I've loved to death FFTactics Advance, though...

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Its a bit tough to decide. The story on SRPG's tend to be better but the game itself gets repeptitve quickly unless its exceptionally good (Disgaea) but Jrpg's tend to experiment a bit (FF12 comes to mind) with either battle systems or levelling and that keeps things interesting.

I'd have to go with Jrpg's though simply becuase I played more of them and really enjoy them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY