Game Boy Micro has yellow "glare" spot in middle of screen?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by xwatchmanx, Dec 3, 2012.

1. xwatchmanx
    OP

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    I got a Game Boy Micro just recently, and it works great, but there's what appears to be a yellow "glare" spot in the center of the screen. It's only seriously visible when the colors are darker (when the screen goes black, or when opening the start menu in Metroid Zero Mission, for example), other than that, I barely notice it. Any suggestions? I can live with it, but if it's an easy fix (such as dust behind the screen), I'd like to take care of it. One of the screws on the Micro is missing, and another is loose-ish, so it does make sense to me that the previous owner opened it at some point to change the battery or something, and dust got into it. What do you guys think?

2. Latiken

Latiken GBATemp's Epic Fusion

Jul 7, 2011
    United States
    Tennessee
    It makes sense that he opened it to do something. Maybe some liquid or dust got in there like you said? It might be normal do to oldness (but still awesomeness!).

3. Daku93

Daku93 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Düsseldorf, Germany
    I have two Gameboy Micros. One green European and one black Japaneese and both have the problem you described.

4. xwatchmanx
    OP

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    Hm..

5. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    I have a Japanese GBM which I bought used. It was fine for a while, but a few months ago got the same problem you describe.

6. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    i had a sp and ds phat with that problem

7. Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa M3 Perfect fanboy

Sep 17, 2012
    United States
    Ohio
    Any pictures?

8. xwatchmanx
    OP

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    The only camera i have access to is the 5mp one on my smartphone, and im not sure it can take a high-quality enough pic to tell. :\ I'll take one and try tomorrow, though.

9. wiggatron

wiggatron Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2012
    United States
    O-hi-O
    It probably overheated at some point. I'd wager that it was left on a chair, or dashboard, or whatever in the sunlight for too long :(

10. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    My Micro is still White and Bright,

It is however kept in a leather case when not in use and always charged outside of the leather case.
    I Expect heat has had some sort of discoloration effect on your screen, which kinda sucks as these units at least out where I am are very hard to come by.

My Silver unit was given to me as a gift last year from a friend in the USA and I have been lucky enough to have even located 3 new and unused 3rd party faceplates (100% clear ones but still) as far as I know my other friend in the USA who has 2 of them has also not had this problem.