Game Boy Micro has yellow "glare" spot in middle of screen?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by xwatchmanx, Dec 3, 2012.

1. xwatchmanx
    OP

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    I got a Game Boy Micro just recently, and it works great, but there's what appears to be a yellow "glare" spot in the center of the screen. It's only seriously visible when the colors are darker (when the screen goes black, or when opening the start menu in Metroid Zero Mission, for example), other than that, I barely notice it. Any suggestions? I can live with it, but if it's an easy fix (such as dust behind the screen), I'd like to take care of it. One of the screws on the Micro is missing, and another is loose-ish, so it does make sense to me that the previous owner opened it at some point to change the battery or something, and dust got into it. What do you guys think?

2. Latiken

Member Latiken GBATemp's Epic Fusion

United States
    It makes sense that he opened it to do something. Maybe some liquid or dust got in there like you said? It might be normal do to oldness (but still awesomeness!).

3. Daku93

Member Daku93 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    I have two Gameboy Micros. One green European and one black Japaneese and both have the problem you described.

4. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
  5. regnad

Member regnad Button Masher

Japan
    I have a Japanese GBM which I bought used. It was fine for a while, but a few months ago got the same problem you describe.

6. nukeboy95

Member nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

United States
    i had a sp and ds phat with that problem

7. Lemmy Koopa

Member Lemmy Koopa M3 Perfect fanboy

United States
    Any pictures?

8. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    The only camera i have access to is the 5mp one on my smartphone, and im not sure it can take a high-quality enough pic to tell. :\ I'll take one and try tomorrow, though.

9. wiggatron

Newcomer wiggatron Advanced Member

United States
    It probably overheated at some point. I'd wager that it was left on a chair, or dashboard, or whatever in the sunlight for too long :(

10. Kouen Hasuki

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    My Micro is still White and Bright,

It is however kept in a leather case when not in use and always charged outside of the leather case.
    I Expect heat has had some sort of discoloration effect on your screen, which kinda sucks as these units at least out where I am are very hard to come by.

My Silver unit was given to me as a gift last year from a friend in the USA and I have been lucky enough to have even located 3 new and unused 3rd party faceplates (100% clear ones but still) as far as I know my other friend in the USA who has 2 of them has also not had this problem.