Hardware Project Game Boy Advance SD card mod

DecoTheEpicGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What if we made the GBA play games off of an SD card?
Here is my method

Solder in a Everdrive PCB into the cartridge slot and make wires for the SD card slot so it can be somewhere around the GBA shell

That shit is stupid i know, but it is def possible obviously ig, problem is i want to keep my GBA safe in my hands, and i dont have the ability to solder... have the tools, hell, i dont even have a everdrive, if someone attempts this, let me know!

Maybe even take the chance to drop in that sweet IPS screen v2 with that juicy Mario custom shell and that succulent USB-C charging with the fat duration of 24 hours as always lmao

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Solder the Everdrive to the GBA? What? What would that even accomplish?
Just use any of the hundreds of MicroSD to SD extensions. No soldering required.
Really strange that you would want something like this though. MicroSD is already far past the capacity and speed the GBA can use.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You could just mod your gba and then hotglue the ED shell into the slot, if you match the colors of the shells it wouldn't even be all that visible.

But at the same time, why would anyone do that? The draw of real hardware is for most the ability to swap out cartridges so losing that wouldn't be worth it to most. Now if someone made it so the slot is intact and it only boots the ED if no cartridge is detected then I could see someone would want it. But at that point there probably wouldn't be enough space in the shell.

Anyhow, if you really want it just glue the ED in, no soldering needed, same result. The ED has the slot at the top so you can still access the SD card.

DecoTheEpicGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You could just mod your gba and then hotglue the ED shell into the slot, if you match the colors of the shells it wouldn't even be all that visible.

But at the same time, why would anyone do that? The draw of real hardware is for most the ability to swap out cartridges so losing that wouldn't be worth it to most. Now if someone made it so the slot is intact and it only boots the ED if no cartridge is detected then I could see someone would want it. But at that point there probably wouldn't be enough space in the shell.

Anyhow, if you really want it just glue the ED in, no soldering needed, same result. The ED has the slot at the top so you can still access the SD card.
Glue??? im not sure thats safe

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are rear access flash carts, and SD cards with wifi inbuilt.

Anyway as above this seems like a solution in search of a problem rather than something that is going to do much for anybody.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed