Android Galaxy S rooting error, is this fixable?

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm watching an auction for a Galaxy S and the owner says you just need to root the phone for it work again. He can't do it himself because he has a Mac and couldn't figure it out.
I'm wondering if it's possible to fix this phone, and how easy it is?
All I know is this picture:

105114506-de-eerste-bieder-van-110euro-mag-hem-komen-halen.jpg

So is it possible/how easy is it? The price is really good, so I'm willing to take the leap.

Rise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Its in download mode, you should be able to just flash the firmware using Odin.... 5 min process

I`d advice you to find the forum for the phone over at xda, there are tutorials on how to reflash the stock firmware ( or other roms), and root if you want

Reactions: 1 person

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
Any phone that doesn't have a locked boot loader can be rooted. RSD lite should take care of any issue to get you back to stock If It's frozen or any booting errors. If you don't know how to root a phone after that there's always superoneclick.

If that phone is the i9000 model your golden.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for the fast replies. He's saying it's a 'regular Galaxy S1', and I doubt he knows the difference between the i9000 and the i9001....
Which phone would be the best by the way, the regular i9000 or the PLUS i9001?

Rise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The PLUS version released like a month ago, its a slight upgrade to the i9000 in some areas, and in others areas worse.
Slighly better screen, upped processor speed, but they have changed the GPU and Audio Chips to something worse.
The i9000 is known for its great GPU, and awsome sound (with root/voodo)

I

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking the probability of It being a i9000 is about 75%. As far as the "best" goes between the two, the i9000 seems to be the phone preferred in the modding communities.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am thinking the probability of It being a i9000 is about 75%. As far as the "best" goes between the two, the i9000 seems to be the phone preferred in the modding communities.
How future proof do you think the i9000 still is? Is Android 4.0 available on it, perhaps via a hacking/rooting process?
Not yet, but it most likely will be. AFAIK, Galaxy S is supported by CyanogenMod, which will almost certainly receive an update to bring it up to 4.0 code base. Once that happens, all CyanogenMod ROMs will be based on 4.0, including the Galaxy S ROM. Chances are seeing as it is a very popular phone it will also get an unofficial port of stock 4.0 fairly soon after the 4.0 source code is released (keep an eye on XDA Developers). Samsung may even release an official update for it, seeing as it is still one of their most popular phones (but don't rely on it).

In short, I am 99% sure there will be a way to get some form of Android 4.0 on the Galaxy S within the next few months.

Reactions: 1 person

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
How future proof do you think the i9000 still is? Is Android 4.0 available on it, perhaps via a hacking/rooting process?
Not yet, but it most likely will be. AFAIK, Galaxy S is supported by CyanogenMod, which will almost certainly receive an update to bring it up to 4.0 code base. Once that happens, all CyanogenMod ROMs will be based on 4.0, including the Galaxy S ROM. Chances are seeing as it is a very popular phone it will also get an unofficial port of stock 4.0 fairly soon after the 4.0 source code is released (keep an eye on XDA Developers). Samsung may even release an official update for it, seeing as it is still one of their most popular phones (but don't rely on it).

In short, I am 99% sure there will be a way to get some form of Android 4.0 on the Galaxy S within the next few months.
NIce thanks. In 3 years, will this phone still have support? It has a relatively huge userbase, so probably it will?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
3 years? I dunno. I can't think of any phones from 3 years ago still going strong. But then again, there are probably still active communities on sites like XDA Developers for phones at least that old. The Galaxy S is still being sold, and is still not on "cheap" contracts, so I'd say it'll be around for a while (people buying now probably are getting 2 year contracts), but how active the community will be after 3 years is questionable.

However, I think seeing as it is supported by CyanogenMod builds of that ROM at least will be available until they can't run on the phone anymore for some reason.

EDIT: A quick look on XDA reveals that the oldest Android phone (HTC Dream aka G1) still has a fairly active forum there, and it was released in 2008. So it's certainly possible the Galaxy S could still be supported by 3 years time.

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
I agree with what SifJar said. I recently upgraded to the Droid Bionic, It's right up there with the Galaxy S II. I still use my old droid OG though over wifi for free calling and texting and also rom experimentation. If you can get that Galaxy S for a good price go for It, I think It still has at least 2 years of life left in It and It's a pretty solid phone.

NFSGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
It should be fairly easy to fix. By that photo, I can identify that it's not bricked - therefore pushing a new ROM to it should be easy. I don't have any expertise with that phone in particular, but I managed to root my HTC Wildfire (Buzz), so I'm happy to walk you through some of the steps required to fix this phone up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn