possumeaterofficial

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, I have a 3ds with cfw.
Recently i decided to upgrade my SD card to 64GB, as the previous one i had ran out of space. i'm aware of the need to format sd cards over 32GB, so i switched the format to FAT32 before continuing yet whenever i insert it into my 3ds i'm met with this:
IMG_20230118_131841.jpg
i can't figure out how to fix this. i tried formatting again, cleaning the sd card, checking the read-only lock, yet nothing works. interestingly GodMode9 and Luma both boot up as normal with no issues. it simply won't show me any of my games or any software that isn't pre-built into the device. (though weirdly, twilightmenu does show up. i haven't yet figured out if it works since i'm a bit afraid of clicking on it.)

inserting the sd card into my computer doesn't bring up any errors, just the 3ds. i only have a chromebook, and i've heard it's built-in format editing feature can often not work properly and as i have no access to a windows or mac computer i could use for this i think that could be where my problem is coming from. clearing the data off my 32GB SD card changed the partition clusters or however you say it, which i had thought to be the root of my 64GB card's issue but the other one still works, just slowly. does anyone have any answers/fixes for this issue?

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have a 3ds with cfw.
Recently i decided to upgrade my SD card to 64GB, as the previous one i had ran out of space. i'm aware of the need to format sd cards over 32GB, so i switched the format to FAT32 before continuing yet whenever i insert it into my 3ds i'm met with this:
View attachment 348048 i can't figure out how to fix this. i tried formatting again, cleaning the sd card, checking the read-only lock, yet nothing works. interestingly GodMode9 and Luma both boot up as normal with no issues. it simply won't show me any of my games or any software that isn't pre-built into the device. (though weirdly, twilightmenu does show up. i haven't yet figured out if it works since i'm a bit afraid of clicking on it.)

inserting the sd card into my computer doesn't bring up any errors, just the 3ds. i only have a chromebook, and i've heard it's built-in format editing feature can often not work properly and as i have no access to a windows or mac computer i could use for this i think that could be where my problem is coming from. clearing the data off my 32GB SD card changed the partition clusters or however you say it, which i had thought to be the root of my 64GB card's issue but the other one still works, just slowly. does anyone have any answers/fixes for this issue?
You upgraded to a 64gb from a 32gb one? Did you copy all the data to it including the Nintendo 3ds folder (on the root of the sdcard)?
I suggest trying with just Luma3DS files on the root of the sdcard, then trying again.
Also, make sure it's formatted as Fat32 32kb cluster size.
Try with a different sdcard adapter if you have one, they get faulty easily.

UnpredictableEnigma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could be a bad sd card, if you have another try testing with that if possible
Post automatically merged:

or bad blocks/sectors, partially corrupted data/filesystem

also you can take that sd card and check if it's bad, there is software to do it, but I think it also is destructive to the data, as it writes the entire sd, then read it back to check for missing/incorrect sector/blocks/bytes

also a good way to check if your sd card has the actual space as advertised, never buy cheap ass sd that are 32gb and over, average price for a class 10 or UHS-I or II (trust me you want that higher transfer speeds) card would be about 15 bucks or more any thing under 32GB will be pretty cheap...

Last edited by UnpredictableEnigma,

possumeaterofficial

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You upgraded to a 64gb from a 32gb one? Did you copy all the data to it including the Nintendo 3ds folder (on the root of the sdcard)?
I suggest trying with just Luma3DS files on the root of the sdcard, then trying again.
Also, make sure it's formatted as Fat32 32kb cluster size.
Try with a different sdcard adapter if you have one, they get faulty easily.
just to clarify, should i send over everything except the Nintendo 3ds folder or only send over the luma3ds files and nothing else?

UnpredictableEnigma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just to clarify, should i send over everything except the Nintendo 3ds folder or only send over the luma3ds files and nothing else?
you should copy every file and directory over

you can use an sd imaging tool to do all of this for you aswell, it will copy the entire filesystem which you can write back to a larger card, and expand it out to use the additional space

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only Luma3DS files (for now). And you should check it with h2testw as mentioned, to make sure it's not faulty or dying. Backup your data beforehand and test it with the "read & verify" setting.

Reactions: possumeaterofficial

UnpredictableEnigma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also cluster sizes doesn't really matter, just defines the smallest size for a single file can be, i typically use 8kb or 16kb, as larger cluster sizes also reduce overall useable space

and make sure its fat32 not exfat

possumeaterofficial

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
also cluster sizes doesn't really matter, just defines the smallest size for a single file can be, i typically use 8kb or 16kb, as larger cluster sizes also reduce overall useable space

and make sure its fat32 not exfat
thank you, i made sure of this too. i just need it to be 32KB as twilightmenu doesn't work very well without it.

Only Luma3DS files (for now). And you should check it with h2testw as mentioned, to make sure it's not faulty or dying. Backup your data beforehand and test it with the "read & verify" setting.
i figured out another possible way of formatting with godmode9, i'll make sure to try this out if that doesnt work.

Reactions: UnpredictableEnigma

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over