GCN Gaem³@DEATHNET [Portable GC Project]

jonthedit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Thanks for the welcome! As for your question, I really don't know, I love taking on electronic projects so I may build a portable console of some sort (The GameCube is one of the only Nintendo consoles I don't own) but I may buy one just for a personal challenge :lol:

I suggest grabbing one from eBay while you can, they are becoming scarce.
Also try to go for a DOL-001 [REV A or REV B]
C's are a pain in the ass.

Xotadi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I found one for a fairly cheap price one ebay, it says it's a DOL-001, however I have no idea what revision it is. I'll probably buy it in the morning

jonthedit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I found one for a fairly cheap price one ebay, it says it's a DOL-001, however I have no idea what revision it is. I'll probably buy it in the morning

A and B are similar board wise; it won't matter.
What DOES matter is the region (NTSC or PAL) and the IPL
Mine was unfortunetaly a IPL v1.0 which means no WiiKey Fusion Compatibility.
I worked around this by getting my WiiKey Fusion flashed with Swiss autoboot r216, which is compatible with IPL v1.0
If it's a PAL cube then it's for sure above IPL v1.1

P

pasc

Sorry to crash your party, but I believe a portable Wii to be making more sense.

Shouldn't that be easier to accomplish, while having the same output (Gamecube disks work, has 4 GC Controller Ports. etc.)

Xotadi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A and B are similar board wise; it won't matter.
What DOES matter is the region (NTSC or PAL) and the IPL
Mine was unfortunetaly a IPL v1.0 which means no WiiKey Fusion Compatibility.
I worked around this by getting my WiiKey Fusion flashed with Swiss autoboot r216, which is compatible with IPL v1.0
If it's a PAL cube then it's for sure above IPL v1.1
Yeah, it's a PAL cube, thanks, and also I apologize as I have hijacked your thread, sorry.

Xotadi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to crash your party, but I believe a portable Wii to be making more sense.

Shouldn't that be easier to accomplish, while having the same output (Gamecube disks work, has 4 GC Controller Ports. etc.)
I don't know about jonthedit's reasons for doing this but I'm doing it for the very reason you stated; The Wii can play both, so if I mess up I won't have lost the ability to play either consoles games.

P

pasc

Exactly. Thats why I suggest that.
Also it has a more slim form factor, seems like a no-brainer to take that one.

Except if you feel nostaligc, then you might want to use a Gamecube

Or perhaps if you don't want to shell you extra money (however I once got a repalcement Wii for ~30 bucks off ebay, so....)

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Gamecube can be trimmed smaller than the Wii when you remove the disc drives in favor of the Wiikey Fusion. There's a reason you don't see Wii portables floating around. You'll see a small Wii Laptop here and there, but you don't see much done with them for the most part.

Reactions: jonthedit

jonthedit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Exactly. Thats why I suggest that.
Also it has a more slim form factor, seems like a no-brainer to take that one.

Except if you feel nostaligc, then you might want to use a Gamecube

Or perhaps if you don't want to shell you extra money (however I once got a repalcement Wii for ~30 bucks off ebay, so....)

I'm not interested in a portable Wii
Reasons:
-Needs more power
-Will require IR sensor
-Fails to function without DVD chip
-At some point I will have to use a wii remote to setup something
-not that many resources available regarding portable wii's.

Gamecube can be trimmed smaller than the Wii when you remove the disc drives in favor of the Wiikey Fusion. There's a reason you don't see Wii portables floating around. You'll see a small Wii Laptop here and there, but you don't see much done with them for the most part.
Exactly. Thank you for clarifying this for the other members that will come across this thread.
:bow:
I don't know about jonthedit's reasons for doing this but I'm doing it for the very reason you stated; The Wii can play both, so if I mess up I won't have lost the ability to play either consoles games.

That's an odd reason, but whatever floats your boat :P

Yeah, it's a PAL cube, thanks, and also I apologize as I have hijacked your thread, sorry.

You're not hijacking anything. This thread is for discussion regarding anything GameCube portable related. I gladly welcome you to post your works and findings in your thread as well as any tips or questions you come across on your journey.

Xotadi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

And using a wiimote outside your house wouldn't be very convenient along with all the funny looks you'll get while playing star wars on the train

Reactions: jonthedit
P

pasc

I'm not interested in a portable Wii
Reasons:
-Needs more power
-Will require IR sensor
-Fails to function without DVD chip
-At some point I will have to use a wii remote to setup something
-not that many resources available regarding portable wii's.

Exactly. Thank you for clarifying this for the other members that will come across this thread.
:bow:

That's an odd reason, but whatever floats your boat :P

You're not hijacking anything. This thread is for discussion regarding anything GameCube portable related. I gladly welcome you to post your works and findings in your thread as well as any tips or questions you come across on your journey.

Gamecube Games work on the Wii without any chip...

Not sure about the Gamecubes power consumption, but 12V/2A doesn't seem to bad from the Wii side.

Also you could toss the DVD Drive by using USB for Wii Backups and Devolution I guess ?

Xotadi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Not sure about the Gamecubes power consumption, but 12V/2A doesn't seem to bad from the Wii side.

Also you could toss the DVD Drive by using USB for Wii Backups and Devolution I guess ?
Devolution needs the disc to be in first launch so if you ever decide to get a new game, you're not going to have a fun time. If you use DIOS-MIOS then some games will be missing a lot of their audio as it doesn't support disc audio streaming

jonthedit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
*facepalm* exactly! I won't want to have the DVD Drive in my portable.
The Wii doesn't function correctly (be it USB loading, sd loading, etc) if there is no disc drive present at all.

Are you going to use speakers or headphones?
Not sure yet... Might go with both.

Xotadi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
*facepalm* exactly! I won't want to have the DVD Drive in my portable.
The Wii doesn't function correctly (be it USB loading, sd loading, etc) if there is no disc drive present at all.

Not sure yet... Might go with both.

Just bought a GameCube, according to the seller it's in excellent condition but he has used it. Even if it has a few scratches it was only £14.99 and I won't need the case :D

jonthedit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Just bought a GameCube, according to the seller it's in excellent condition but he has used it. Even if it has a few scratches it was only £14.99 and I won't need the case :D

How is your projects going? Just bought another cube just in case.

Xotadi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How is your projects going? Just bought another cube just in case.
My cube still hasn't arrived :( It should be by Friday.
EDIT: It has arrived, however, I need to wait for the power cable to arrive as I don't have one due to the fact that my nintendo console experience went N64 - GBA - DS lite - Wii - DSi. No testing it until it arrives :'(

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
So this is what you have been up. :D

I checked and my spare gamecube motherboard has all the serial ports and the second AV Jack. (my currently assembled and working GC does as well) I'm pretty sure it's the right IPL version for you as well. So if something goes bad with your project, I have a replacement you can buy. If it turns out to not have the right IPL, I will of coarse provide refund. I'm not going to take off the heatsink to find out, since I don't have new thermal material to reapply it. We'll cross that bridge if/when we get there. :D

Reactions: macmanhigh

jonthedit

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
So this is what you have been up. :D

I checked and my spare gamecube motherboard has all the serial ports and the second AV Jack. (my currently assembled and working GC does as well) I'm pretty sure it's the right IPL version for you as well. So if something goes bad with your project, I have a replacement you can buy. If it turns out to not have the right IPL, I will of coarse provide refund. I'm not going to take off the heatsink to find out, since I don't have new thermal material to reapply it. We'll cross that bridge if/when we get there. :D

If you're able to power on the motherboard with AV out to the GC menu, you can check the "START GAME" screen.
If it's red its IPL v1.0
If it's purple its IPL v1.1+
DSCN1323-Copy.jpg

DSCN1325-Copy.jpg

I currently have two IPL v1.0 boards, so I'll let you know.

Reactions: macmanhigh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol