G6DS Real Review

gab10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
very disappointed
just a 2GB internal flash memory(slow speed 3.5M/s) "R4" micro sd(10M/s or above)
i advise to buy r4 or m3dss is better(they are same thing)

if you want to play gba
buy a ez 3in1 gba slot 2 card as it support all slot 1 now

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
9 is pretty tough,

it has full compatability.. what more would u want?

what constitutes a high score? what is actually important?

oh wait... flashing LED's.. i forgot
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

lol nice one
happy.gif

Haha that is so true
laugh.gif

Bitbyte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Awesome review, very extensive! I for one am most pleased with the results, perfect compatability and internal memory was all I was looking for. You guys should just shut up bashing the G6DS just because it's not 100% DP
tongue.gif
. To be honest, your R4DS and M3 cards aren't that great at all, I know how they play and it's not 100% retail, because of the SD cards, I always notice a very little, almost not noticeable, slowdown. But because of this, I hate them. So stop flaming the G6, because your cards aren't all that great themselves
wink.gif

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Awesome review, very extensive! I for one am most pleased with the results, perfect compatability and internal memory was all I was looking for. You guys should just shut up bashing the G6DS just because it's not 100% DPÂ
tongue.gif
. To be honest, your R4DS and M3 cards aren't that great at all, I know how they play and it's not 100% retail, because of the SD cards, I always notice a very little, almost not noticeable, slowdown. But because of this, I hate them. So stop flaming the G6, because your cards aren't all that great themselves
wink.gif

I heard the R4 was 100% compatible IF you had a fast MicroSD card.

I'm disappointed with the G6 lacking 100% download play, though. I would have gotten one, but now there's no reason for me to. I'll stick with my R4 order. That was, I have more control over my memory.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Nice review I agree with nearly all of it except for portrait of ruin working fine. For me it all runs fine but no menu or ingame text appears its just white blocks where the text is. Also had probs with a few other roms.

Bitbyte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would make you a terrible reviewer. I doubt Shaun would use personal satisfaction to sway a review score, seeing as that so many eyes look to his reviews for these products. It's OK to express opinion here and there in a review, but making a review score higher because the reviewer happens to personally like the product only damages the accuracy of the review score.

This card isn't a 9, but apparently Shaun thinks that's what it deserves. People are simply wondering why this is. If you're suggesting it's because he is fond of the card, than let's hope that's not true as that would mean the review score should be disregarded.

I said I am fond of my G6 and maybe he is too. Not his review is a 9 because of that. shaunj66 stated he doesn't even own a G6 so that clears that up but I'm just saying if you own a product already made by that company you might be more inclined to favor it. I own a Neo2 and that thing deserves a 2 but their MK5 is actually really good and would get a 8.5 in my book. So there goes the favoritism reversed out the window.

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, like others, I have have to question that 9 out of 10 score.

I have a G6 Lite and I like it a lot and I think the G6 Real sounds good, but first of all they are flat out *LYING* about the download play. That's an automatic 2-point deduction right there, in my book, but it's not the only apparent problem.

The DLDI driver. I guess if the G6 Real hasn't even been released yet, it's too early to make any kind of call, but as you said in the review, the G6 Team never released a DLDI driver or full sources for the G6 Lite. They repeatedly released partial or non-working source as if people wouldn't notice. Only thanks to the hard work of viruseb and a couple others reversing the binary has DLDI writing been possible on the G6 Lite. I'd say that's a bad track record and certainly shouldn't make you optimistic about how they'll handle things with the G6 Real.

The GUI. In fact, it's quite nice, I like it more than the GUIs in most flash kits, but there's a number of very obvious ways that it could be improved, but they haven't done that. The GUI is essentially the same as the one in the G6 Lite. Only the per-ROM menu where you select cheats or soft reset is new and it seems to be more skinnable this time. However, the main menu, media player and PDA are all still separate applications rather than being unified like they should. The top screen is still unused. The scroll bar still doesn't work smoothly. The filename is used instead of the ROM header for the main menu. Their Mediaplay-Extend is still base don an old version of Moonshell and is not well enough documented. The whoe thing is really still too slow. And so on.

Now, with all those problems, I'd have a hard time giving the G6 Real more than a 7 out of 10. Of course, that wouldn't be fair in comparison to the scores other kits have gotten, but obviously the curve has been set too high. Remember, 5 or 6 has to mean "average" or else you lose all detail in the upper end of the scoring.

...word is bondage...

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
but obviously the curve has been set too high.  Remember, 5 or 6 has to mean "average" or else you lose all detail in the upper end of the scoring.

hmm, interesting point there, but if you think about it, how much better can flash carts get than R4/M3/G6real/N-Card clones ? Being realistic of course, i'm sure you can dream of many extras.

The main thing imperfect is download play.
Memory + gui's are mostly down to personal preference

So say download play gets fixed. It isn't "that" major a feature. maybe worth an extra score of one. That would raiase G6's score to 10.
But then a "perfect" product can never really exist, so perhaps a 10 is misleading. Otherwise a 10 could represent the best possible given curretn times.

So if G6 gets an update that supports DP, do we give it a 10? do we give it a 9.5 and lower all other reviews by .5? or do we give it a 9.5 and leave the other reviews alone, as DP is only worth .5 of a score?

It's all subject to personal opinion.

EDIT: oh and i somewhat agree with PharaohsVizier's opinion. A perfectly accurate review can't really be made until the cart has been widely available to the public and maybe has had the it's bugs ironed out in an updated loader (maybe give it a week or 2)

But i certainly appreciate a review, even if it is not 100% complete. So kudos for the review, which was pretty well written (standard gbatemp style that is)

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
EDIT: oh and i somewhat agree with PharaohsVizier's opinion. A perfectly accurate review can't really be made until the cart has been widely available to the public and maybe has had the it's bugs ironed out in an updated loader (maybe give it a week or 2)

A product should have all bugs worked out by it's release. Consumers don't like being treated as unpaid beta testers (paying for the privilege in fact).

Mawile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
so ds-x is still the best flashcard? come on guys, get serious.

mars77

The reviews are out-of-date, we plan to re-grade all flash kits soon.
but it will be honest to review a 2GB version with the newest firmware (if it finaly comes out......)
by the way no other flash card supports interpretable programming language. that's a nice feature in DS-X.
nice review and i'm glad to find out, it's nothing really better, then the DS-X i'm waiting for. but it's really not honest to review it before the release. let's wait some further updates and info.
it looks, some feature really takes much time to implement, because neither G6DSR nor new DS-X are coming out. maybe they have something to surprise us with?.. who knows..

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
For people who have a G6 DS Real, can I ask about save management? The review says:
QUOTE said:
During boot up, if you have previously played and saved a game, the G6DS Real will write the most recent save file to a file on the card.
I take that to mean that the save isn't written to flash memory straight away. Where is the save stored until you reboot? In the G6 Lite it's kept in a battery-backed memory but I don't think the G6 DS Real has a battery, does it? How long is the save file 'safe' if you just switch off the game?

As an aside, I wish it saved directly to flash as soon as you save in a game. That way the file will be safe straight away, there won't be the bootup delay, and there won't be problems where people take the device out of the DS and plug it into the PC and wonder why they can't see the latest save.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==