Hacking G6 Lite

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I want one. Plain and simple. Cheap. I don't need to buy a new media card. Will fit perfectly in my new lite. I have said before that size sticking doesn't bother me and my original M3 SD is loved very much, and that is still true, but if I was going to get another flash cart it would have to be this one. Might as well go with a perfect fit. Now I'm off to try the mega drive emulator.

Oh and I am already ENVIOUS (is that the word?) of the one who is going to be reviewing this.
rofl2.gif

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a quick question.

Would a 4 GBit version for instance hold 4 copies of Resident Evil DS? Is that what it means?

And everyone keeps saying no slowdowns. But then I hear there are slowdowns in many GBA games on the G6. What gives?

E

exile

I have a quick question.

Would a 4 GBit version for instance hold 4 copies of Resident Evil DS? Is that what it means?

And everyone keeps saying no slowdowns. But then I hear there are slowdowns in many GBA games on the G6. What gives?

I'm not sure if it is true for the G6, but some of the cards emulate part of the GBA support now I have read. Either that or they are using different, cheaper chips to support the GBA side because it has somewhat stricter requirements.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a quick question.

I'm not sure if it is true for the G6, but some of the cards emulate part of the GBA support now I have read. Either that or they are using different, cheaper chips to support the GBA side because it has somewhat stricter requirements.

Hmm. This is making it hard to choose from the EZ Flash 4 Lite. That thing has great GBA support,and flash memory, but bad battery life and sticks out a smidge. The G6 Lite has great DS support, doesn't stick out at all, great battery life, but shitty GBA support. What to do, what to do.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
On the Gameboy SP I already use my ezflash II powerstar 1 gbit and 256mbit carts and they work without a hitch in the Gameboy SP and in the DS. So gameboy compatibility isn't a factor at all for me. The g6 is specifically targetted toward the DS scene and that's why the compatibility is unmatched. Right now I'm using the standard G6 3rd gen 4 gig card for the DS and all I can say is wow.....I really don't think memory size is a factor because 4gigbit isn't exactly small, the standard average games are around 256 mbit right now (even the all popular new super mario bros). I am interested in the g6 lite if the price is really that cheap (of which I doubt, it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever) but I actually like the g6 coming out of the ds lite right now, it doesn't hinder gameplay in anyway and isn't ugly by any means....after all nintendo meant for gba games to stick out like that...if anything the g6 sticking out just a bit makes it hell of a lot easier to take out than the slot cover covering that slot that came with the ds (kind of have to get your fingernail under there).

ole jason

Trophies
XP
Country
It probably creates a save file on the memory.

I thought all the G6 stuff was really expensive? I'd be very surprised if this thing comes out at under a hundred dollars. That said... if it DOES come out for less than $100 I'll definately get one.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. This is making it hard to choose from the EZ Flash 4 Lite. That thing has great GBA support,and flash memory, but bad battery life and sticks out a smidge. The G6 Lite has great DS support, doesn't stick out at all, great battery life, but shitty GBA support. What to do, what to do.

What gave you the idea that an EZ4 lite would have poor battery life? I can't imagine it will be any different then the regular EZ4, and as I've said in that other thread the EZ4's consuption of the DS battery is insignificant.

TheGreat2nd

[No Title]
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sorry for being a n00b but how do you get the roms onto this bad boy? it doesnt appear to have any where you can stick it into the computer?

Do i still need my Passkey?

Oh and while im at it is the Passcard 3out yet (orice?), im using a MML but hate having to swap it with a proper game to use sleep mode.

I don't know either.
Could somebody further explain?
Is there a USB adapter for the cartridge?

And PassKey is probably still needed.

And G6 is bad with GBA support? What? Further explain between G6 and EZ4?

(I'm a noob to DS flashcarts too)

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know either.
Could somebody further explain?
Is there a USB adapter for the cartridge?

And PassKey is probably still needed.

And G6 is bad with GBA support? What? Further explain between G6 and EZ4?

(I'm a noob to DS flashcarts too)

Flash carts of that ilk come w/ a linker, that you plug the cart into, that plugs into a USB port.

Yes you will need a passme style device of some sort unless your DS is FlashMe'ed.

G6 GBA support is bad? I hadn't heard that, but I don't own one so I can't confirm. As far as the EZ4 GBA support goes, I haven't had any problems w/ anything I've tried. I even tried Riviera to make sure the EZ4 could handle 256 Mb ROM images... It can..

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What gave you the idea that an EZ4 lite would have poor battery life? I can't imagine it will be any different then the regular EZ4, and as I've said in that other thread the EZ4's consuption of the DS battery is insignificant.

I was told anything using removable flash memory has much worse battery life than other type flash carts.

bolton2

bolton2
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hmm is this just a bad rumor that g6flash support is bad, because honestly it is after all a gba flashcart, and a ds flashcard, and on top of that its made by the people who make the m3 which has great gba support. and if my m3 has good gba support i would just assume the the g6 has comprable if not even better gba support :/. and with the special m3/g6 type savs this thing dont really need a battery as far as i know

ebcubs03

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, an m3 lite is on its way... In an email, someone from m3 said:

"Thanks for your concern about our products .
But it is impossible to make a adapter for mini SD card & fit in DS lite .
Because the size of mini SD slot is large .
But we will try to make a adapter for micro SD card & fit in DS lite ."

Hmmm.............

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does need a battery for GBA games though. That'd be one reason why the Full GBA+DS G6 Lite costs more.

the "full" version with DS+GBA will have a 256mbit bank of PSRAM that the DS version wouldn't need. DS games can run directly from NAND, but GBA cannot. Just omitting that PSRAM will reduce cost significantly. The usual 3.3v li-ion battery being used in flashcarts (Panasonic VL2020 or whatever) usually sells for ~$3 when bought in bulk, so that's not a huge part of it if there even is a battery.

And as for that battery situation, there's been some theorizing on the EZFLash forum about a capacitor being used rather than the usual li-ion battery. A decent capacitor could hold a charge to power the SRAM for a while, but obviously not as long as a battery. This is just some creative thinking by some folks who know more of what theyre talking about than I - just passing it along since the same situation seems to apply to the G6Lite as the EZ4Lite. Still just guesses though. I'm sure we'll know before long what the battery/save situation is for both.

I hope G6 pops some more info soon. From the babelfish translation of the official announcement, there should also be a regular GBA-sized shell so the G6Lite can be used in std. DS and GBA consoles. They should've included it in the official photos - would've saved me from reading that ridiculous machine translation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0