Spandi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello,

I was wondering how the firmware support for the G6 is nowadays. I haven't been following 'the scene' for a while and now I'm wondering about maybe buying a new card, or just using my old, expensive, G6 one.
I remember it being a card with a few problems and not being that userfriendly, but my main concern is, does it still play the latest games? I'm very interested in the new Metal Slug and the upcoming GTA game.

So, can I still play them easily?

knl

I can change this?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
From what I can tell, some new games haven't worked on my G6 Lite, and it's likely more games won't work. since the team stopped updating the loader since july, there's really nothing that can be done about this.

get a different flash cart. :\

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
You're naming pretty new games, so there's a good chance that they won't work. Just get a cheap cart like the AceKard 2 and you'll most likely be able to play them very early. You could also buy the more expensive M3 Real, which can link with your G6 to provide GBA compatibility.

Spandi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thank you for the replies. I'll just keep the old G6 for GBA games and get me a new one for newer games.
Looking at my local flashcart retailers website i'm having trouble picking one. The DSTT, the EDGE and the Acecard 2 are all in my pricerange.

Any suggestions to which one is the best? I read the reviews here and they all look pretty equal. I'm sorry, I know this is not the right place to ask this, an answer would be nonetheless very much appreciated
smile.gif

Velveteer

Trophies
XP
Country
Any new games that seem incompatible often only need the settings changed.

Disable Soft Reset
Enable Rom Trim
Force R+W

That's your best bet. I only upgraded due to the limited space and battery life reduction.

As for a new card, the EDGE is out of production as far as I know and hard to track down.

I went with the Acekard 2.1, as the DSTT seemed to have small issues that I didn't want to deal with.

Spandi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I remember that from when I still used the G6, Velveteer. It was always quite a hassle to find the right settings for each game.

I've been reading some of the boards here and I think I'll be going with the Acekard 2.1.

Thank you all very much.

knl

I can change this?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Velveteer said:
Any new games that seem incompatible often only need the settings changed.

Disable Soft Reset
Enable Rom Trim
Force R+W

I always try these exact settings with games, and the new ones still didn't work. The G6 lite is simply dead at this point, there's no helping it :\

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Enable Rom Trim doesn´t always work so i wouldnt recomend it.
Anyway, yes the g6 lite is dead on updates but i wonder why there arent even patches for games that currently dont work? Something that will patch the .nds file to work on a g6 lite.

staticfritz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've played a couple hundred games on my DS with the G6, adn the only games that flat out don't work are 'MBA Allstars' and 'Trauma Centre 2'. Any game after the last update only needs to be written in safe mode, and if it doesn't work, it needs to have the Arm7 fix. I'm still doing this cause I can't justify buying a new card when my old card works. But if you're buying new, get something else.

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
G6 Lite is dead to me, I don't even want to use that BS flashcard ever again.
I fear that mine is dying too. At least GBA mode is slowly dying. I can get a good 10-20 minutes before the game crashes. That being said, I've had this thing for 2.5 years and I've put it and my DSL through hell. I still can't believe I've only had that thing for 2.5 years and it looks that bad... Anyways, the G6 lite has played every game I've thrown at it. Yeah, a couple needed patching but none would just flat out not work. I've been happy with this card and will, in all likelihood stick with it at least until Nintendo announces a proper successor to the DS.

DarthMingus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

Actually most new games still work just fine. I just loaded Metal Slug 7 on my G6 lite with the default settings and it works fine. For the record, the only games I haven't gotten to work are Trauma Center 2 and Zelda. Even Chrono Trigger works great. I'm sure its on its way out support-wise, but it does still work with most games.

The thing that sucks is that the support has dried up after only 2 years on the market.

DarthMingus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, just Trauma Center. I downloaded the Independent Zelda and it worked fine.
smile.gif
Chinatown Wars works with no problem too.

Xii

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Melchizedek said:
How did you make it work?

I used ind-gtafix. Everything works with the exception of Wifi, it sits at searching for network. I was able to get Link working as well. And FFCC EoT works for me as well but again, no Wifi - the setup screen goes white. I did try Wii/DS local play and that worked perfectly (except that the Wii version is quite awkward...)

scandal_uk

Not Really There
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Online modes work fine on G6 Lite with GTA:CW, but I haven't got round to multi-cart wireless.

Which mode is broken for you?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."