Hacking FW Updating and Hacking 1.0.0 Switch?

metaphz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good Evening,

I am in possession of a 1.0.0 Nintendo Switch. I had originally played a few release titles on it and then packed it away for a rainy day...Well it's raining today! This Switch has NEVER been online, and I just factory reset it. I have a 128GB SD Card I used before that I believed I used guiformatter for exFAT so I could use exFAT on an older Firmware without updating.

I have been reading that there is now a way to make a NAND backup preserving my original 1.0.0 Firmware, along with updating firmware (should I use 5.1.0?) with ChoiDujournx. I also read about FUSE counts and making sure I don't let that become modified, because if I do, I won't be able to get back to 1.0.0.

I have purchased a Team Xecuter dongle and RCM jig for simplicity sake. I see now there is a lot of options, but this seems versatile. The idea of being able to use the Dongle instead of a phone or PC is which steered me this direction. I am however concerned that one of the threads I read stated using SXOS or the Dongle may change the FUSE count prohibiting me from downgrading back to 1.0.0...

What am I missing here? Of upmost concern to me is being able to preserve this original firmware, but allow me to play my newer game cards, or dump them to the SD Card and allow me to use Homebrew like RetroArch..

Any guidance on this specific issue is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Spunky247

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good Evening,

I am in possession of a 1.0.0 Nintendo Switch. I had originally played a few release titles on it and then packed it away for a rainy day...Well it's raining today! This Switch has NEVER been online, and I just factory reset it. I have a 128GB SD Card I used before that I believed I used guiformatter for exFAT so I could use exFAT on an older Firmware without updating.

I have been reading that there is now a way to make a NAND backup preserving my original 1.0.0 Firmware, along with updating firmware (should I use 5.1.0?) with ChoiDujournx. I also read about FUSE counts and making sure I don't let that become modified, because if I do, I won't be able to get back to 1.0.0.

I have purchased a Team Xecuter dongle and RCM jig for simplicity sake. I see now there is a lot of options, but this seems versatile. The idea of being able to use the Dongle instead of a phone or PC is which steered me this direction. I am however concerned that one of the threads I read stated using SXOS or the Dongle may change the FUSE count prohibiting me from downgrading back to 1.0.0...

What am I missing here? Of upmost concern to me is being able to preserve this original firmware, but allow me to play my newer game cards, or dump them to the SD Card and allow me to use Homebrew like RetroArch..

Any guidance on this specific issue is greatly appreciated.
some ow what you said doesn't make sense. You likely didn't use a formater to format to exfat to use on v1.0 you probably meant you formated it to FAT32 which the windows formatter doesn't allow at 128GB.

In any case, the problem with SXOS (at least some versions) was that it does NOT block the fuse burns, you would need to use a version that does block the fuse burn, or use a different CFW like ReiNX

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some ow what you said doesn't make sense. You likely didn't use a formater to format to exfat to use on v1.0 you probably meant you formated it to FAT32 which the windows formatter doesn't allow at 128GB.

In any case, the problem with SXOS (at least some versions) was that it does NOT block the fuse burns, you would need to use a version that does block the fuse burn, or use a different CFW like ReiNX

the only fuse SXOS doesn't block is the cartridge slot fuse.... It blocks the rest.

metaphz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so yes you are correct, but my statement remains true even though the detail of what fuses are burned wasn't in my comment.

The practical outcome is still the same.

If you use SXOS you can't truly go back to 1.0

Ok good to know. So I need to change the payload from SXOS to something like Hekate, correct?

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so yes you are correct, but my statement remains true even though the detail of what fuses are burned wasn't in my comment.

The practical outcome is still the same.

If you use SXOS you can't truly go back to 1.0

Well, you can go back. Just your cart slot won't work. I assume anyone going back to 1.0 will just use it to install EmuNAND and then use that going forward. They will update EmuNAND and then the cart slot (presumably) will work again. Do you really need a cart to install CFW? I doubt it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not misinformation, it's fact

Sorry, I meant confusing the issue. Just because. 1.0 is obsolete. If we discuss windows will you assume windows XP? No. Because it's obsolete. We're obviously talking the most modern that works. 1.9 I think for 1.0FW. You are just arguing to confuse people.Or you are mistaken. SX OS fixed that shit long ago son. so yes you can downgrade after. Cart slot might not work but you use XCI anyway...

Last edited by mikefor20,

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, you can go back. Just your cart slot won't work. I assume anyone going back to 1.0 will just use it to install EmuNAND and then use that going forward. They will update EmuNAND and then the cart slot (presumably) will work again. Do you really need a cart to install CFW? I doubt it.

That is a pretty terrible assumption to make. If I went to the effort to keep a 1.0 unit around for this long I'd sure as hell want to be sure I could go all the way back, not half way.

So, in conclusion, what I said right in the beginning:

If you use SXOS you can't go back to the way it was before you upgraded is accurate. Use something like ReiNX to keep it pristinely down-gradable

I think you made this a lot more confusing with trivialities and assumptions @mikefor20

Ok good to know. So I need to change the payload from SXOS to something like Hekate, correct?

I'd consider ReiNX, but Hekate is a good payload (but it isn't a CFW you still need to pick one to load)

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That is a pretty terrible assumption to make. If I went to the effort to keep a 1.0 unit around for this long I'd sure as hell want to be sure I could go all the way back, not half way.

The only reason to keep 1.0, unless maybe you are a dev, is to run Atmo and have all the possibilities that come with it on 1.0. Once you are cold booting in to EmuNAND on the latest firm you won't give 2 shits the cart slot doesn't work in 1.0..... I wouldn't give a damn. And I disclosed it. Not a real assumption. Just compete,unbiased information. Not treating the OP like someone who can't make decisions. Present all the options instead of just blindly trying to steer someone to your CFW of choice.
No assumptions, just complete information. Do be a Trump. Don't redact. I never said what was best, just that it's possible.

metaphz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So, in conclusion, what I said right in the beginning:

If you use SXOS you can't go back to the way it was before you upgraded is accurate. Use something like ReiNX to keep it pristinely down-gradable

I think you made this a lot more confusing with trivialities and assumptions @mikefor20

I'd consider ReiNX, but Hekate is a good payload (but it isn't a CFW you still need to pick one to load)

Ok so I don't want to use SXOS and I am totally okay with that. I want this thing pristine. That is why we bought two of these outfits. So I'm following the guide to make a NAND backup of my device and this is progressing a little slow but otherwise okay. My next question is, does the SX Dongle really contains two software products? if I am understanding this correctly I have SX Bootloader, like Hekate, and then SXOS similar to ReiNX and Atmosphere, correct? If I boot in to the SX Bootloader do I burn a fuse, or is it just SXOS?

My device is currently showing 1 FUSE Burned on 1.0.0.

Lastly, do I understand that I can change the Payload on the Dongle to use Hekate or ReiNX so I never boot in to SXOS?

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ok so I don't want to use SXOS and I am totally okay with that. I want this thing pristine. That is why we bought two of these outfits. So I'm following the guide to make a NAND backup of my device and this is progressing a little slow but otherwise okay. My next question is, does the SX Dongle really contains two software products? if I am understanding this correctly I have SX Bootloader, like Hekate, and then SXOS similar to ReiNX and Atmosphere, correct? If I boot in to the SX Bootloader do I burn a fuse, or is it just SXOS?

My device is currently showing 1 FUSE Burned on 1.0.0.

Lastly, do I understand that I can change the Payload on the Dongle to use Hekate or ReiNX so I never boot in to SXOS?

1) A bootloader is always necessary to boot the CFW. I don't know if TX made their own but they are most likely just using Hekate
2) Only the very FIRST version of SX OS burnt fuses, the newwest ones do not. HOWEVER if you're going to use SX OS, DO NOT USE VERSION 2.0, it is currently broken beyond belief
3)Yes, the dongle is updatable, meaning you can use it to load any CFW you want. And, again, Hekate is not a CFW, it's a bootloader. SO what you'd be loading is ReiNX

jysinn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the op needs to do is get into Rcm mode nand backup.
Load up Hekate then CFW install firmaware 5.1 with ChoiDujourNX with exfat support and done..

Just did my 1.0 switch a few weeks back.. had no issues. NO burnt fuses and can go back any time..
Load up ReinNX after you update to 5.1.
Every reboot you will atomaticlly be in RCM mode.

If im not mistaken ReiNX does not update game cart when

Last edited by jysinn,

metaphz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the op needs to do is get into Rcm mode nand backup.
Load up Hekate then CFW install firmaware 5.1 with ChoiDujourNX with exfat support and done..

Just did my 1.0 switch a few weeks back.. had no issues. NO burnt fuses and can go back any time..
Load up ReinNX after you update to 5.1.
Every reboot you will atomaticlly be in RCM mode.

If im not mistaken ReiNX does not update game cart when

Okay...This is what I am doing right now.

I am following the Backup / Restore you Nand + Get....

The next thing I was going to do once the backup is complete I was going to ChoiDujourNX and go to 5.1 NOT 6.0...I seen some folks were having issues with 6.0.

Sounds like I am following your foot steps. What I would like to know, if I put the ReiNX payload on my SDCARD not the SXOS one, it will boot ReiNX correct? The SXOS CFW is not embedded in to the dongle, is it?

Also since you have first hand experience, I take it you made your backup with your SDCARD on FAT32, then after you finished with your backup, you reformatted to exFAT?

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I meant confusing the issue. Just because. 1.0 is obsolete. If we discuss windows will you assume windows XP? No. Because it's obsolete. We're obviously talking the most modern that works. 1.9 I think for 1.0FW. You are just arguing to confuse people.Or you are mistaken. SX OS fixed that shit long ago son. so yes you can downgrade after. Cart slot might not work but you use XCI anyway...

I tend to stay out of these discussions, but most of what you said here is subjective, and a matter of personal preference and opinion. Just because you consider a 1.0.0 Switch (and/or Windows XP) to be obsolete, doesn't mean that another person considers those things obsolete. In addition, just because you wouldn't care that your 1.0.0 Switch couldn't read games from the cartridge reader, doesn't mean that other people also wouldn't care. For example, I own a 1.0.0 Switch, and want my 1.0.0 cartridges to continue to work without any hacking involved. I care enough that if an "EmuNAND" can't solve that cartridge reader issue, I will be buying a second Switch so I can play the latest games without a problem, and I would keep the 1.0.0 Switch for homebrew purposes.

Then again, I would never run any Team Xecuter garbage on my 1.0.0 Switch, but that, again, is just my opinion.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tend to stay out of these discussions, but most of what you said here is subjective, and a matter of personal preference and opinion. Just because you consider a 1.0.0 Switch (and/or Windows XP) to be obsolete, doesn't mean that another person considers those things obsolete. In addition, just because you wouldn't care that your 1.0.0 Switch couldn't read games from the cartridge reader, doesn't mean that other people also wouldn't care. For example, I own a 1.0.0 Switch, and want my 1.0.0 cartridges to continue to work without any hacking involved. I care enough that if an "EmuNAND" can't solve that cartridge reader issue, I will be buying a second Switch so I can play the latest games without a problem, and I would keep the 1.0.0 Switch for homebrew purposes.

Then again, I would never run any Team Xecuter garbage on my 1.0.0 Switch, but that, again, is just my opinion.

My comment about obsolescence was referring SXOS 1.0 not a Switch on FW 1.0. SX OS 1.0 IS obsolete. anything under 1.9 is obsolete. And the CS fuse is a moot point. I understand wanting to stay on a certain FW, more power to you. IF you stay on 1.0 you can only play a few games from the cart slot. The NoGC patch makes your switch too slow. And my intent was really just about presenting every option and letting the OP choose. Tempers are an opinionated bunch from time to time that conveniently leave out information, especially about SX OS and GW. And then sit there and pretend that it's the only way. Same handful of "people" seem to just want to wipe out other options and pretend they are the master race. So 3rd Reich. SX OS has a couple unique perks the others don't. Just like GW. Present the information but don't make up someone else's mind for them. I NEVER said Switch FW 1.0 is obsolete. Unless you want to play SMO or Skyrim, but it has it's issues. So do the other guys. Besides,last I tried it, the NO GC patch was too slow for my taste.

metaphz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm good with that. I don't want to use their software, just the hardware. I looked at the other dongles and this looked like a nice solution to inject payloads. The small form factor, build quality, and easy charging is what interested me.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm good with that. I don't want to use their software, just the hardware. I looked at the other dongles and this looked like a nice solution to inject payloads. The small form factor, build quality, and easy charging is what interested me.

Cool. The dongle is nice. The dongle and the Jig fit in to the old case that came with my R4 so I am using that. Its very portable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-