Further information about the upcoming Nintendo Switch "Mig Switch" flashcart has been revealed

mig.png

A few days after the monumental reveal of a work-in-progress flashcart being made for the Nintendo Switch, more information has been made available. The previously unnamed flashcart is set to be called "Mig Switch", and the initial Twitter user that unveiled the Mig Switch's existence, After Time X, managed to get in contact with the team behind it all. According to them, they were offered a review unit of the Mig Switch, but turned it down, as the After Time X team fears legal repercussions from dealing with "backup loader" hardware.

Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.

The Mig Switch currently has a website, where it is seeking distributors to work together with in order to sell initial limited quantities of the Mig Switch device, with the first units to be delivered sometime in January. The team claims that full availability is expected around March/April 2024. It'll come with the Mig Switch card, and the Mig Switch Dumper, with the latter of which allowing you to back up your games using NXdumpTool.

:arrow: Official Website

SNKFreak

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Will keep an Eye out for that, as I have an patched Switch and can use it for Import Games and such. How DLC and Patches works with this is still a big Question

Cracko298

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cracko298.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Will keep an Eye out for that, as I have an patched Switch and can use it for Import Games and such. How DLC and Patches works with this is still a big Question
No information (at least to my knowledge) on there website states that it can backup Digital Titles, and DLC content.
Could be missing something though.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Today's youth don't know much at all about sports as they spend most of their time playing computer games rather than going outside. Still you know how to use the internet as you had the savvy knowledge on how to read and reply. My post was a play on words (if you know what that means). Oscar Pistorius was a professional paralympic running champion that used to run on "blades" and was know as the blade runner - his feet were amputed when he was 11 months old. Still it didn't stop him from murdering his wife.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Pistorius
The irony here is hilarious, increased by how big of a post you had to make this.

• Haha
Reactions: madisonswitch

G33ksquad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im curious, why? Mig switch isnt illegal, is it? Although it probably will be used for illegal activities, it, on its own, isnt
I would say based on the case against SX OS Nintendo will have a strong argument it is. The determination for Gary Bowser who was found guilty was “sold devices and software used to evade protections placed on video game consoles” . I am no lawyer, this is all opinion, but I imagine they will try the same with this device. It evades the protections of the Switch allowing “backups” to run.

Reactions: sysoverdr1ve

gameboy64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Let's not forget the fact that there will likely be cheaper clones of this card. Possible firmware that will brick your switch could arrive similar to one that was on 3ds as far as I remember...

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Let's not forget the fact that there will likely be cheaper clones of this card. Possible firmware that will brick your switch could arrive similar to one that was on 3ds as far as I remember...
I'm not sure if that would be possible these still have no way to run unsigned code like the gateway did

ButterScott101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A few days after the monumental reveal of a work-in-progress flashcart being made for the Nintendo Switch, more information has been made available. The previously unnamed flashcart is set to be called "Mig Switch", and the initial Twitter user that unveiled the Mig Switch's existence, After Time X, managed to get in contact with the team behind it all. According to them, they were offered a review unit of the Mig Switch, but turned it down, as the After Time X team fears legal repercussions from dealing with "backup loader" hardware.

Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.

The Mig Switch currently has a website, where it is seeking distributors to work together with in order to sell initial limited quantities of the Mig Switch device, with the first units to be delivered sometime in January. The team claims that full availability is expected around March/April 2024. It'll come with the Mig Switch card, and the Mig Switch Dumper, with the latter of which allowing you to back up your games using NXdumpTool.

https://twitter.com/AfterTimeX/status/1740049621320077458

:arrow: Official Website
this will be a pretty cool project for the switch!

cainan__c

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unless the game includes DLC on cart. (Ex. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet + Expansion, Mario Kart 8 Complete Edition, etc.) I doubt there's a way to get DLC on cart. As for updates, unless you actually own the game and it's your own cart dump, expect to have to rely on dumps of newer cart revisions that include a newer build of the game.

Reactions: impeeza

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This isn't a joke to laugh about, do you even understand how serious this guy's life has been? Gary is not okay. He's had his reputation damaged by a severe lawsuit by Nintendo, went to hospital after his left leg started to swell up from lymphedema, and is struggling financially to keep himself up. He recently got threatened by trolls after being targeted by a DNS poisoning campaign, to get himself raided by the feds again.

If you don't realize of how big of a deal this is, maybe re-educate yourself further on your actions.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Unless the game includes DLC on cart. (Ex. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet + Expansion, Mario Kart 8 Complete Edition, etc.) I doubt there's a way to get DLC on cart. As for updates, unless you actually own the game and it's your own cart dump, expect to have to rely on dumps of newer cart revisions that include a newer build of the game.
Exactly, because you CAN NOT change the content of a XCI and generate a new Certificate because you have no access to Private PKI of Big N.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
In the US DMCA, circumvention of copy protection is illegal
Exactly: ON THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, no on other countries like big N want to be. At my country is so legal make backup copy of your software what the manufactured SHOULD give a easy way to do it. That's why Big N doesn't have branch here because when opened one the law demanded they to give us way to backup Wii Games and then they fly from the country.

• Haha
Reactions: tabzer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y