Further information about the upcoming Nintendo Switch "Mig Switch" flashcart has been revealed

mig.png

A few days after the monumental reveal of a work-in-progress flashcart being made for the Nintendo Switch, more information has been made available. The previously unnamed flashcart is set to be called "Mig Switch", and the initial Twitter user that unveiled the Mig Switch's existence, After Time X, managed to get in contact with the team behind it all. According to them, they were offered a review unit of the Mig Switch, but turned it down, as the After Time X team fears legal repercussions from dealing with "backup loader" hardware.

Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.

The Mig Switch currently has a website, where it is seeking distributors to work together with in order to sell initial limited quantities of the Mig Switch device, with the first units to be delivered sometime in January. The team claims that full availability is expected around March/April 2024. It'll come with the Mig Switch card, and the Mig Switch Dumper, with the latter of which allowing you to back up your games using NXdumpTool.

:arrow: Official Website

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quite frankly, if you cannot share your own dumps I'm trying to figure out what purpose would this serve other than being strictly a pirating tool. Do pirates care about being abolished from online activity?
I’m banned already and I’m proud. I don’t think most care if they get banned at this point. To me at this point retroarch is the main reason to have a cfw switch.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you have remorse for stealing from a multi-billion dollar company? It was actually pretty funny and I was genuinely angry when I heard they locked him up in an asylum. Like what the hell, he did a lot of crimes but he's just autistic!

If you're crazy enough to tell a judge you're going to commit the same crime again as soon as you can, you probably need the asylum.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m banned already and I’m proud. I don’t think most care if they get banned at this point. To me at this point retroarch is the main reason to have a cfw switch.
I have a banned Switch myself (my early years, dumbass mistakes) but yes I am the same, kind of, I demo games on it, and if I like it, I buy it for my Oled.

Reactions: tabzer

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quite frankly, if you cannot share your own dumps I'm trying to figure out what purpose would this serve other than being strictly a pirating tool. Do pirates care about being abolished from online activity?
I detest online activity, when it comes to gaming. I detest digital-only content, that can no longer be accessed when the store shuts down. Sorry, but you do NOT have to be a pirate to feel this way.

I also think Nintendo is simply retarded, that their solution to punishing someone who installed homebrew (like an nsp forwarder), is to ban them and prevent them from actually buying games from Nintendo. At that point, you’re pretty much forced to pirate content. Good thinking, boneheads.

cainan__c

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I detest online activity, when it comes to gaming. I detest digital-only content, that can no longer be accessed when the store shuts down. Sorry, but you do NOT have to be a pirate to feel this way.

I also think Nintendo is simply retarded, that their solution to punishing someone who installed homebrew (like an nsp forwarder), is to ban them and prevent them from actually buying games from Nintendo. At that point, you’re pretty much forced to pirate content. Good thinking, boneheads.
Honestly what sent me on a mostly phyisicial crusade Switch onwards (So PS5, PS4, etc.) was getting my 3DS NNID banned back in 2015? Losing access to over 50 games I had bought on the eShop over dumb Miiverse posts when I was 10 was fucking insane. From that day I decided nah, I ain't buying digital games when possible (even if I need to import said title). Since then I own over 60 Switch games on Cart, 20 PS4 games, 20 PS5 games and over 30 Wii and Wii U games (and a very small chunk of 3DS games physically).

Digital-only games are fine for small indie titles and I'll happily get those on PC or Switch but if it's a higher profile release that's digital only I'll typically avoid it OR only buy it on PC.

One game I'm a little annoyed is digital only despite it's price is Groove Coaster on Switch. I'd rather not have to buy a £50 game that's a digital exclusive.

Reactions: Blythe93

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
It'll be interesting to see if Mig backups can be used in emulation.
there is no such thing as "MIG Backup" As far we know Mig use the same XCI dump produced by any existing tool, so today the XCI can be used for emulation.

MIG needs extra files which normally aren't shared because: a) aren´t really needed to run the game offline b) are traceable to a specific physical cartridge.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that's a very rude conclusion to make from this

This guy hacked rockstar from his hotel room on a Fire stick with police outside while he was on bail for hacking NVIDIA. He's unlikely to stop in spite of getting caught again and again. Forced hospital is a mercy compared to having him constantly jailed/fined because he immediately crimes again while being watched on parole.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates

If you already got banned you obviously wouln't care so this question wasn't for you. Would you risk it on an unbanned switch though?

Not sure if any addressed the elephant in the room but...

How would you go about backing up your NAND?
How would you go about dumping your console keys?
How would you run homebrew on an official firmware?
It looks like a Thanos situation where every corner you turn would require you to have a hardmodded switch.

Basically a useless add-on.
I'll reiterate what I said earlier, this is sham to feed on desperate plebs that know nothing better.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Isn't it stupid to use homebrew on a console that you use to buy digital content? Theres a reason why companies use anti piracy measures. If you can't RESPECT someone's policies then maybe you don't deserve to buy their stuff.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you already got banned you obviously wouln't care so this question wasn't for you. Would you risk it on an unbanned switch though?

Not sure if any addressed the elephant in the room but...

How would you go about backing up your NAND?
How would you go about dumping your console keys?
How would you run homebrew on an official firmware?
It looks like a Thanos situation where every corner you turn would require you to have a hardmodded switch.

Basically a useless add-on.
I'll reiterate what I said earlier, this is sham to feed on desperate plebs that know nothing better.
No I can’t afford to get another banned switch but if a cfw switch can modify this in anyway, like changing the way this cart changes games or allowing me to use it for things like retroarch, it might be worth having for extra storage space. The price is still a problem for me at the moment though. If cart could be sold separately might consider for $30 but again cfw has to have a way to change how this cart could work. If we’re lucky maybe the cart could be modified without cfw and that’s a big maybe.
For your other questions, at the moment that is impossible. Supposedly this at the moment is just for switch games.

Last edited by fst312,

BlusterBong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah he definitely isn't. Especially after the gofundme was made so people could assist him in turning his life around.

He's right though, Nintendo will absolutely ruin him if he doesn't cut himself off the project ASAP.
Knowing him, He won't and he'll probably use his stance in Nintendo's eyes as marketing in a very "Fight the big evil bad guy! (While extensivly using the same hardware the bad guy sold you to do it)" approach, and N's Lawyers will have a field day grilling Gary again all while the team behind the flashcart will be further vilified by his association.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't it stupid to use homebrew on a console that you use to buy digital content? Theres a reason why companies use anti piracy measures. If you can't RESPECT someone's policies then maybe you don't deserve to buy their stuff.
Isn’t it stupid to hang around gbatemp if you don’t use homebrew? LoL… Since you didn’t understand the first time, I DO NOT use digital-only content. I refuse to “purchase” something that a company can take away from me after the fact. I refuse to pay for something that requires a subscription, that I can no longer play when that subscription ends. I like to OWN the things that I buy, thanks.

And as for me deserving to buy their stuff… boy are you backwards. THEY don’t deserve my money.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn’t it stupid to hang around gbatemp if you don’t use homebrew? LoL… Since you didn’t understand the first time, I DO NOT use digital-only content. I refuse to “purchase” something that a company can take away from me after the fact. I refuse to pay for something that requires a subscription, that I can no longer play when that subscription ends. I like to OWN the things that I buy, thanks.

And as for me deserving to buy their stuff… boy are you backwards. THEY don’t deserve my money.
Yea like they need your money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo