OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As @MVG mentioned in his video:

he basically wrote an emulator. Trying to tinker with the files and LayerdFS I only get sound on GB and GBC games, but no video. Looking at the files it all seems simple enough to expand on this, but I couldn't get it to work with other Roms.

This is the interesting part from gamesdef.xml:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- This Document contains the skin/game definition-->
<carbon packageName="Shantae GBC">
  <!-- titles is the number of titles in the collection
       engine can be one of 'gb', 'gbc', 'gba' , 'nes' (NES engine is a placeholder)

count is the number of titles in the collection

game id are zero based. so if you have 3 games in your collection label them

<game id = "0" name="My Cool Game">
       <game id = "1" name="My Cool Game 2">
       <game id = "2" name="My Cool Game 3">

romName is a link to the game which must exist in target\rom
  -->
  <titles count="2">
    <game id ="0" name="SHANTAE" engine="gbc" romName="rom:/ShantaeB3ae.bin" previewImage="rom:/assets/gamePreview1.png"
          description="Enjoy the original Game Boy Color version"/>
    <game id ="1" name="SHANTAE (GBA ENHANCED)" engine="gbc" romName="rom:/game2.bin" previewImage="rom:/assets/gamePreview2.png"
          description="Play with Game Boy Advance features unlocked"/>

Maybe someone with more knowledge can check this out.

Last edited by TheRocK,

Fadi5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope we can do the same thing with mario 3d-all stars but I think it’s not possible (at least not yet).

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's cool, but it would have been a bit neater before we had established emulators.
I hope we can do the same thing with mario 3d-all stars but I think it’s not possible (at least not yet).
There was a big push when the game released, but it was deemed impossible when they realized how much of the 3DAS games were recompiled for switch.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's cool, but it would have been a bit neater before we had established emulators.
ah the internet, always complaining

There was a big push when the game released, but it was deemed impossible when they realized how much of the 3DAS games were recompiled for switch.
i guess MVG wrote the emulator explicitly for Shantae, so he probably didn't do a whole lot of compatibility testing beyond Shantae

Gaara4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can we also change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9?
I know many people disslike to change the aspect ratio, but i prefer 16:9 or fullscreen.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
But why? Don't we already have pretty awsome GB-GBC-GBA emulators for the Switch?
Why are you messing around with this?
I mean it's optimized for one game, I don't except all games to run perfectly on this.

AlanLC

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Replaces the rom with Asterix ROM (GBC) and it worked, but I couldn't add it instead of replacing and it only worked GBC.

Why use another emulator instead of using Retroarch?
Dislike the retroarch GUI, want something more simple and straightforward with NES / SNES Online ...... etc

Last edited by AlanLC,
Reactions: TheRocK

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
ah the internet, always complaining

i guess MVG wrote the emulator explicitly for Shantae, so he probably didn't do a whole lot of compatibility testing beyond Shantae
Actually, he was originally testing with Tetris and then other games, he didn't test Shantae until he had a working emulator. It's supposed to work with any GB(C) game Limited Run might want to port to the Switch in the future. And possibly other platforms too from what I understand, GB(C) is just the beginning. Shantae just happened to be the first one they wanted to release.
As @MVG mentioned in his video:

he basically wrote an emulator. Trying to tinker with the files and LayerdFS I only get sound on GB and GBC games, but no video. Looking at the files it all seems simple enough to expand on this, but I couldn't get it to work with other Roms.

This is the interesting part from gamesdef.xml:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- This Document contains the skin/game definition-->
<carbon packageName="Shantae GBC">
  <!-- titles is the number of titles in the collection
       engine can be one of 'gb', 'gbc', 'gba' , 'nes' (NES engine is a placeholder)

count is the number of titles in the collection

game id are zero based. so if you have 3 games in your collection label them

<game id = "0" name="My Cool Game">
       <game id = "1" name="My Cool Game 2">
       <game id = "2" name="My Cool Game 3">

romName is a link to the game which must exist in target\rom
  -->
  <titles count="2">
    <game id ="0" name="SHANTAE" engine="gbc" romName="rom:/ShantaeB3ae.bin" previewImage="rom:/assets/gamePreview1.png"
          description="Enjoy the original Game Boy Color version"/>
    <game id ="1" name="SHANTAE (GBA ENHANCED)" engine="gbc" romName="rom:/game2.bin" previewImage="rom:/assets/gamePreview2.png"
          description="Play with Game Boy Advance features unlocked"/>

Maybe someone with more knowledge can check this out.

I don't think he mentioned anything about GBA support, did he? The "GBA enhanced" Shantae is still a GBC game running in GBC mode, it just has extra features when played on a GBA.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
since the file listing in the xml shows a different rom for "gba enhanced",
the emulator likely uses a prepatched rom with the gba checks permanently enabled

i find it interesting that the xml states that nes is just a placeholder, but says nothing about gba, as both are not really required for shantae.
gb emulation is basically the core of gbc emulation so that has to work.
so, does gba emulation work? i doubt it, but i don't have the game so i didn't check.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*