Front Mission 2089 translation help

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by karnik95, Jul 25, 2009.

Jul 25, 2009
  1. karnik95

Newcomer karnik95 Member

Aug 11, 2008

I enjoy the Front Mission series and have heard that they have released Front Mission 2089. However, it is only available in Japan. So I am on a mission to translate the game for myself.

I deconstructed the game, but realised that the file extensions can't be opened. I looked at the guide posted on the forums and still couldn't find an answer as on how to open them.

they are all .bin extensions and Hex Editors aren't helping.
  2. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 19, 2008
    United States
    Most games don't just have their script lying around in text files. It's binary data, so you need to analyze the format with a hex editor, determine the encoding (usually Shift-JIS or Unicode), decode the text, translate it, then re-encode it and recalculate any pointers as necessary.

If you have no idea how to do that, you're not in any position to start a translation project. Make a post in the request thread offering your services as a translator (I hope you actually know Japanese and weren't just planning to run everything through Google Translate) and hope a romhacker takes interest in the game.