Hacking Freezing off of HDD

Gavin Barrows

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought an external HDD today http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178114
that one to be exact. I plugged it into my computer and got it set to WBFS with a back up manager and put about 20 or so games onto it. Now the problem is when I use USB loader GX I have to load it then wait until it prompts me to plug in the drive (that 20 second thing it gives you) other wise it just freezes no matter what. Every other USB loader also freezes. CFG freezes after plugging in HDD and wiiflow goes to black screen. When I do finally get a game working though off of USB loader GX it will eventually freeze. Rayman Origns after like 20 minutes said Reading Disc... and it went on forever. Silent Hill Shattered Memories said loading in bottom right forever. But on the silent hill one I could access the home menu but when I pressed Wii menu home it took me to a black screen and again I had to unplug the Wii U completely. Any help is really appreciated! Also someone said it could be the HDD needs more power but it has this weird proprietary cord so I can't find a USB Y splitter anywhere that I could use... Also it doesn't have a plug for its own power...

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
It does sound like a power issue, but just to make sure format it to FAT32 with 32KB or 64KB clusters. WBFS is an old problematic format that is not recommended.
With Wii stuff FAT32 is the most compatible. 32KB as cluster size will get you better compatibility than 64 KB, the speed difference is minimal and not really noticeable.

Gavin Barrows

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the tutorial I looked up and after trying it myself it seemed that the USB loader GX didnt recognize a USB with anything other than the format that WBFS manager gave it. Any threads though that tell me how to format my HDD to 32KB cluster or whatever it is? I call myself tech savvy but I really have no idea what a 32KB cluster is or how to get it, thanks so much for the reply though, hopefully this can help me out.

Gavin Barrows

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep I already have that program. Currently transfering all games to my computer and then will format the HDD and put the games back on... Damn this takes a while, 67gb worth of Wii games, shit though one PS3 game is close to that...

Gavin Barrows

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well shit I formatted it to just NTFS and got the games up but it froze. I put all of my games in the recycle bin... Just so they were out of the way. Took my HDD and formatted it to Fat32. Turns out all files in recycle bin were deleted randomly. I only was able to recover Skyward Sword. Both times trying to run it on my now formatted to fat32 HDD failed... First time it booted straight to black screen, second time it thanked me for my purchase, had me configure wii motion plus then went to a screen where the low battery flashed at the bottom right and well it never went past it and the console wouldn't shut off so I guess it froze.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but I can't seem to figure out why people can't figure out how all this works.
The tutorials cover everything, turn off your brain and do exactly what the tuts tell you to do. And all will work.
Also I think there are tons of youtube videos on this.

Gavin Barrows

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange how I have followed tutorials just like these! Oh and they were also newer so if anything has changed I of course have them. Now if we go back to the topic at hand it seems the HDD isn't able to get enough power out of the Wii U's one USB port. Which of course is why I am purchasing a cord right now so the HDD will be able ot work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol