Free to play Starcraft II Multiplayer?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There has recently been a massive, almost Zerg-like rush to the F2P model from developers, and Blizzard has been very willing to experiment. World of Warcraft, for example, allows players to experience the game for free up until they reach a certain level.

Well, it looks like the developer might give it another go in the near future.

During a panel about eSports at the Valencia eSports Congress, Dustin Browder, Lead Designer on Starcraft II, was asked whether Blizzard had any plans for free to play in regards to their strategy behemoth. Free to play opens up the game to a huge number of people, and the more people that play, the more likely it is that you’ll unearth talent for your pro eSports scene.

His answer? Blizzard are ‘looking at free to play as an option for the multiplayer’. That’s not a confirmation, but it’s potentially huge, if Blizzard wanted to make that jump.
icon11.gif
PC GamesN

This is not confirmation, and any leap to F2P would take some time; it certainly won't happen overnight.

Still, seeing how popular Free to Play has become, a move like this doesn't sound as preposterous as it might have only a few years ago. A shift like this in StarCraft could spur other titles to follow suit (the "Domino theory" of F2P).

So, will Blizzard say "GG" to the paid model? Or will they decide this eco build just isn't worth the risk?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The question is how they'd finance the F2P experience without disturbing the current gameplay.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question is how they'd finance the F2P experience without disturbing the current gameplay.

The article does mention that as being a significant hurdle.

They could try Valve's approach to DOTA, where all the stuff available for purchase is purely cosmetic. They might also offer cosmetic items as incentives for players to purchase the single player campaign.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
They could do what Fruit Ninja does, and make the paid version give you "rewards" whenever you reach a certain score or achievement.

Said "rewards" are coupons and advertisements for other companies.

But hey, all they have to do is call it a "reward" and lock it away until a certain score, then it's not an ad!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm all for Multiplayer F2P, perhaps with some micro-transactions for flags or other textures that show you're a subscriber and paid Campaign - that's a good model IMO.

After playing through Wings of Liberty, I did get the feeling that the game was incomplete without Campaigns for all the races like the original game and the Brood War expansion - of course I understand that back in the day, making games was "cheaper", but hell, this is Blizzard. I couldn't understand why they sold practically 1/3 of a game.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I'm all for Multiplayer F2P, perhaps with some micro-transactions for flags or other textures that show you're a subscriber and paid Campaign - that's a good model IMO.

After playing through Wings of Liberty, I did get the feeling that the game was incomplete without Campaigns for all the races like the original game and the Brood War expansion - of course I understand that back in the day, making games was "cheaper", but hell, this is Blizzard. I couldn't understand why they sold practically 1/3 of a game.
This. I don't care what their reason for it was, but I'm guessing it's more like in the movies -- split a single story into 3 parts so you have a trilogy. It's purely cash-driven. I suppose it ensures quality, having this long of a turnaround and taking meticulous attention to each races, but when big companies start passing their games in chapters and call it "complete", it kind of is a bit disheartening.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This. I don't care what their reason for it was, but I'm guessing it's more like in the movies -- split a single story into 3 parts so you have a trilogy. It's purely cash-driven. I suppose it ensures quality, having this long of a turnaround and taking meticulous attention to each races, but when big companies start passing their games in chapters and call it "complete", it kind of is a bit disheartening.
I was expecting the game to have a more definite ending, wheras Wings of Liberty sort of ends on a cliff-hanger to allow Heart of the Swarm to squeeze in. I'm still waiting for the next chapter in the story, and I know that I will be waiting once more when Pylons of the Legion, or whatever they'll call the Protoss expansion will be in development.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k