Free to play Starcraft II Multiplayer?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Sep 23, 2012.

Sep 23, 2012
  1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    There has recently been a massive, almost Zerg-like rush to the F2P model from developers, and Blizzard has been very willing to experiment. World of Warcraft, for example, allows players to experience the game for free up until they reach a certain level.

Well, it looks like the developer might give it another go in the near future.

[​IMG] PC GamesN

This is not confirmation, and any leap to F2P would take some time; it certainly won't happen overnight.

Still, seeing how popular Free to Play has become, a move like this doesn't sound as preposterous as it might have only a few years ago. A shift like this in StarCraft could spur other titles to follow suit (the "Domino theory" of F2P).

So, will Blizzard say "GG" to the paid model? Or will they decide this eco build just isn't worth the risk?

2. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    The question is how they'd finance the F2P experience without disturbing the current gameplay.

3. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    The article does mention that as being a significant hurdle.

They could try Valve's approach to DOTA, where all the stuff available for purchase is purely cosmetic. They might also offer cosmetic items as incentives for players to purchase the single player campaign.

4. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Still waiting for LAN compatibility.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    They could do what Fruit Ninja does, and make the paid version give you "rewards" whenever you reach a certain score or achievement.

Said "rewards" are coupons and advertisements for other companies.

But hey, all they have to do is call it a "reward" and lock it away until a certain score, then it's not an ad!

6. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I'm all for Multiplayer F2P, perhaps with some micro-transactions for flags or other textures that show you're a subscriber and paid Campaign - that's a good model IMO.

After playing through Wings of Liberty, I did get the feeling that the game was incomplete without Campaigns for all the races like the original game and the Brood War expansion - of course I understand that back in the day, making games was "cheaper", but hell, this is Blizzard. I couldn't understand why they sold practically 1/3 of a game.

7. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    Most services are turning to freemium. You can't sell something to someone unless they know what they are missing.

8. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    This. I don't care what their reason for it was, but I'm guessing it's more like in the movies -- split a single story into 3 parts so you have a trilogy. It's purely cash-driven. I suppose it ensures quality, having this long of a turnaround and taking meticulous attention to each races, but when big companies start passing their games in chapters and call it "complete", it kind of is a bit disheartening.

9. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I was expecting the game to have a more definite ending, wheras Wings of Liberty sort of ends on a cliff-hanger to allow Heart of the Swarm to squeeze in. I'm still waiting for the next chapter in the story, and I know that I will be waiting once more when Pylons of the Legion, or whatever they'll call the Protoss expansion will be in development.

10. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    If F2P = LAN play, I'm all for it.

11. chrisrlink

Member chrisrlink Rouge Temper

United States
    wait sc2 isn't f2p? I remember the 1st being free; just needed a batt.net account cheap-ass bastards