Gaming Free Games thread

• Thread starter ThoD
  • Start date
  • Views 321,095
  • Replies 2,514
  • Likes 17

Want me to post about just free games or about giveaway contests too?

• Total voters

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thimbleweed park is free at Epic! Its a Monkey island style adventure game. retro.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/thimbleweed-park/home
Check the post EXACTLY above yours... Avoid posting about something that has already been posted next time.

You might use the epic games app to download unreal for windows. I think it is unreal 4 version 4.21.2.
And yes, on PC, the Epic Games Launcher is needed which is used for everything from Unreal Engine, to games, to mods.

bbking67

FAMILY FIRST
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Check the post EXACTLY above yours... Avoid posting about something that has already been posted next time.

And yes, on PC, the Epic Games Launcher is needed which is used for everything from Unreal Engine, to games, to mods.

Yes sorry, I had not seen that post... for some reason the one before it looked like the last. As soon as it posted I saw the duplication but I couldnt figure out how to delete the duplicate! Well its a good game, so it's worth 2 posts :-)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You might use the epic games app to download unreal for windows. I think it is unreal 4 version 4.21.2.
I'm confused. Are you talking strictly about the Unreal engine (that is used in most if not all of Epic's recent games) ? :unsure:

Because the first game on the engine is called "Unreal" as well. It ran (okay: it still runs) the first version of the engine, and can be bought on many online stores (including steam and GoG).

@ThoD: I'm especially confused about your statement. Surely there are plenty of unreal-based games that are still sold on other stores, so the epic games launcher engine isn't needed there, correct?

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'm confused. Are you talking strictly about the Unreal engine (that is used in most if not all of Epic's recent games) ? :unsure:

Because the first game on the engine is called "Unreal" as well. It ran (okay: it still runs) the first version of the engine, and can be bought on many online stores (including steam and GoG).

@ThoD: I'm especially confused about your statement. Surely there are plenty of unreal-based games that are still sold on other stores, so the epic games launcher engine isn't needed there, correct?
This is what I'm talking about:
upload_2019-2-24_15-42-22.png

All games from the Unreal store just use the exact same Launcher as UE itself, so if you have UE you already have the DRM.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you go to download just unreal tournament it'll bundle the drm with it (was kinda tight when I first learned this)

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Another Indiegala DRM-free freebie, AntiSquad: https://freebies.indiegala.com/antisquad/ Don't know how long this one will last, so get it while you can, even has Linux version available for all you people who still refuse to have a functioning PC in this day and age just to be edgy:P

Just little heads up, it's a decent game normally, but it IS the paid+microtransactions type, so many people like me won't like it much. Should be possible to just find a CE script though to cheat the unlockables in or make one yourself and since it's DRM-free no need to worry about getting banned either for cheating instead of paying, so yeah...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Another Indiegala DRM-free freebie, AntiSquad: https://freebies.indiegala.com/antisquad/ Don't know how long this one will last, so get it while you can, even has Linux version available for all you people who still refuse to have a functioning PC full of crashes, bloatware and spyware in this day and age just to be edgy:P
Oops. You made a little error in your post. I've fixed it for you. ;)

But in all seriousness: thanks for that link (even though, going by the replies in it, linux requires more hoops to jump through than needed). :P

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Oops. You made a little error in your post. I've fixed it for you. ;)

But in all seriousness: thanks for that link (even though, going by the replies in it, linux requires more hoops to jump through than needed). :P
The state of the Linux version simply reflects the OS, needing more work for everything than otherwise needed, I find it pretty fitting:rofl2:

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The state of the Linux version simply reflects the OS, needing more work for everything than otherwise needed, I find it pretty fitting:rofl2:
Yes. Of course. This NEVER happens when you just hit 'install' on steam, and...oh, wait: directX needs to be updated. And then .net has some things it likes to do in the background when it is "preparing the game for the first time". :P

A more serious answer: developers are simply more used to windows. Now that I've taken a closer look at the replies, things are barely more complicated than needed. If the devs had packed the windows version in a .7Z archive rather than a common zip file, the situation would've been 100% the same on the windows end: you'd need an external archiver (like 7-zip) to unpack and play it. Granted: manually making the executable an actual executable is an extra hurdle in linux, but it takes about the same time to fix as clicking yes to that pop-up in windows that says "this software might potentially contain risks, might make changes on your hard drive and might go through your underwear drawer when it feels like it. Do you want to proceed?".

Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yes. Of course. This NEVER happens when you just hit 'install' on steam, and...oh, wait: directX needs to be updated. And then .net has some things it likes to do in the background when it is "preparing the game for the first time". :P

A more serious answer: developers are simply more used to windows. Now that I've taken a closer look at the replies, things are barely more complicated than needed. If the devs had packed the windows version in a .7Z archive rather than a common zip file, the situation would've been 100% the same on the windows end: you'd need an external archiver (like 7-zip) to unpack and play it. Granted: manually making the executable an actual executable is an extra hurdle in linux, but it takes about the same time to fix as clicking yes to that pop-up in windows that says "this software might potentially contain risks, might make changes on your hard drive and might go through your underwear drawer when it feels like it. Do you want to proceed?".
I'll just clear some misconceptions since you brought them up even if as a joke since some people may not know. First off, you don't need to update often, especially DirectX or .netframework/silverlight/etc., unless you have a REALLY new GPU that supports DX12.2 or above, simply because DX12.1 and under have already reached the end of update life, meaning no more updates are coming out, they are 100% completed products, so install latest version of each one your card supports and AT MOST you will need a random .dll or .ocx file for VERY specific rare cases. .net is the same case, hardly getting updates anymore and even if you don't update, everything already runs just fine, so install at least one copy of each version to increase compatibility and you almost definitely won't need to install again for a good 5 years. Finally, the "preparing the game for the first time" is simply doing two things, checking that all necessary libraries/game/etc. are installed properly and caching a part of the loader for faster subsequent loading (Steam doesn't run the .exe, it runs the .exe VIA itself, reason .net is needed as it acts as a check).

Actually, let me address that "fix" you did on my post as well:P A properly configured computer that is maintained well (a clean-up at least once a month), won't experience any sorts of crashes unless the game/program itself is written VERY badly, meaning it's not because of the OS but because of the dev. You can't blame only Windows for something ALL OSs have, since a terribly written program on Linux would also crash and probably even take longer to troubleshoot because of how GNU OSs are. Bloatware exists, sure, but easily disabled if you know even a bit about them by simply loading up MSConfig and unchecking the processes so they never run and on older Windows versions like 7, you only got minor telemetry data processes anyways, nothing like the shit that's going on with 10 where on a new PC half the processes are telemetry alone:rofl2: And at last, only reason your PC would have spyware is if you don't have a good antivirus AND visit shaky websites on top, as even without any sort of protection, just going on trusted sites would probably never infect you (probably never being because you might click on an ad by accident or something which could in turn be meant to infect). That, and avoiding downloading and opening unusually large files (eg: a picture that's too large in size by more than 50Kbs from untrusted sources since Steganography infections are a thing). However, on the other hand with Linux, you aren't safer, you actually have EXACTLY the same chance of encountering a virus as that when using a Windows system. People think that just because Windows is most popular, only viruses are made for it, but the truth is that websites meant to infect you scan for your OS and infect you accordingly regardless of OS if they are from more professional hackers and if anything, it's easier to hide a R.A.T. (very rare to encounter because it's pretty much the most illegal virus available outside of deep web but still possible in scam tech sites) in Linux (or any GNU-based OS) from the user than in Windows because of the different way the OSs are built.

Not saying Linux is a bad OS, it depends on your needs, but MORE than 99% of users of Linux actually have Linux without doing the things that work best on it and instead use them as regular PCs just to be edgy, which is why I automatically dislike people saying they use Linux unless I know they actually use them for those 2-3 things Linux are better than Windows at such as parallel processing apps through multiple devices (eg: network PCs co-processing to compensate for not being high-end but achieving a close result as a PC that is high-end).

Back on topic though because I kinda derailed this and as the OP I have to keep things in check, yes, they just packaged the executable wrongly, big whoop, use 7zip and a Linux unpacker to get it to run, so back to my original post about the game, get it while you can and work the issues out later:P

Reactions: Kioku

akaishi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't know if someone already said these games... but...
These are two open source games that I really like.

Battle for Wesnoth

Fantasy turn-based strategy game. One of best points for this game is that AI is really smart and the online mode is also good.
Have many campaigns to play solo, and many models to play online.
I really like the fantasy in this game, which you can play using elf, orcs, dwarf...

Steam page

wesnoth-1.14.0-5.jpg

Hedgewars

A cute worms-like game.
Have new weapons with different behaviours, like a freezer and air mine. And the online mode is very fun, with very different schemes.

Official page

0_9_23-Ammo.png

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Slime Rancher is now available for free on the Epic Games Store from March 7th to March 21st.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/product/slime-rancher/home

Epic's next freebie (starting March 21st) will be Oxenfree!

Came on to post about the freebies, so along with Slime Rancher there are more right now available:

Camp Sunshine is available DRM-free on IndieGala and is a decent horror game for anyone interested: https://freebies.indiegala.com/camp-sunshine/
Also, Omerta: City of Gangsters is available on GameSessions (you need to play 5 minutes then you get to keep it) and is a REALLY solid turn-based game, too bad it's been forgotten by most: https://www.gamesessions.com/zz/Game/OmertaCityofGangsters

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blade Symphony is now free on steam I've played it before this and it's pretty cool. There's just a lack of people on the servers. Maybe that'll change now

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Blade Symphony is now free on steam I've played it before this and it's pretty cool. There's just a lack of people on the servers. Maybe that'll change now
Checked it out, it has gone permanently free, but apparently it's not that good a game going by the reviews... But at least it has in-game items that are sellable on the Steam marketplace so that could be interesting I guess, they seem to go for a fair bit each with some going to even 20€ and all...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, you hi too