Hacking Frankenfirmware ?

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
It's what happens when there's a mix of files from different firmwares, like how Frankenstein is a mix of different body parts.

Most common example is unintentional partial downgrades,
resulting in System firmware appearing to be 9.2, but unable to use any homebrew or entry hax.

I think a lesser known example might refer to people who purposely downgrade certain parts of their firmware,
such as reverting flashcart whitelist FW1.

koffieleut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A firmware with some missing features like browser.
I don't hope that you have that problem? You can recognize this with the firmware number where the last nr is strangely low like 11.0.0.4

Reactions: Xyphoseos

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's what happens when there's a mix of files from different firmwares, like how Frankenstein is a mix of different body parts.

Most common example is unintentional partial downgrades,
resulting in System firmware appearing to be 9.2, but unable to use any homebrew or entry hax.

I think a lesser known example might refer to people who purposely downgrade certain parts of their firmware,
such as reverting flashcart whitelist FW1.
I thought that :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't hope that you have that problem? You can recognize this with the firmware number where the last nr is strangely low like 11.0.0.4
that is a frankenfirmware too ?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
This isn't a frankenfirmware, as it arises naturally. Frankenfirmware is what @Queno138 described.

Reactions: Queno138

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
A frankenfirmware can also be made deliberately by updating the browser and possibly other modules (nver, cver, friends module, etc) without doing a system update. Not as common nowadays since ctr-httpwn was released but it could come in handy for Gateway users to have a frankenfirmware emunand assuming there is a way to change the minimum nfirm required for the NS and friends modules (and I have a feeling there is).

Last edited by nl255,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    cearp @ cearp: still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm