fpPS4 PlayStation 4 emulator gets new version release, able to boot and play Sonic Mania

gyghghghv.png

There's lots of PlayStation 4 emulator news going on, lately. We saw an update to GPCS4, a new early in development emulator that aims to emulate both PS4 and PS5 in the form of Kyty, and now, an update to fpPS4, A PS4 emulator for Windows, written in Free Pascal. It's been a while since the developer, red-prig, made an update, but as of the v30052022 build, fpPS4 can now play two PlayStation 4 games. A user on YouTube tested these games out, showing Sonic Mania playing at around 50-60fps, and We Are Doomed, which runs at a consistent 9fps. fpPS4 is available to download on GitHub.

PS4 compatibility layer (emulator) on Free Pascal

This project is at the beginning and started for fun.

Building​

• Free pascal compiler: 3.3.1 (use fpcupdeluxe with trunk), x86_64 only.
  • Lazarus: 2.0.0 and higher, x86_64 only.

Minimum system requirements​

• CPU: x64, AVX2 support
  • GPU: Vulkan API support

:arrow: Source

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but like... the ps4 is literally running an 8-core fx chip (a mobile variant, at that), with an rx 460(or maybe a 480?) and 8gb of shared ram, on a custom linux. why would emulation be necessary if anything post-ryzen can slaughter it in performance?

Granted, as fail0verflow discovered, the ps4 environment is needlessly oversimplified in some respects (everything sharing *one* pcie device ID, no hardware clock), and overcomplicated in others (why tf is the internal storage mapped to a USB port? Why display port and a bridge chip when the igpu has native HDMI out?), feels like it'd be easier to just have an environment that replicates what a ps4 disc or package expects.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because after the Turbo Pascal in DOS fad faded, no one used PASCAL ever again.

That overstates things, but not by much. I'm floored that someone wrote the first functional PS4 emulator in that language. I do wonder how optimized the compiler for it really is and whether that was really a good choice. But hey! It's working so...

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 11 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
That's awesome! It will take many years when PS4 games library reach between 80% - 95% means playable later in near future. It will take a longer time. Need better powerful gaming computer with 8 cores or more (3.2 GHz and up) will help more to speed up on PS4 games. Everyone need bigger hard drive storage like 8 TB or more to fill up a lot of PS4 games files on it. B-)

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think PS5 shortage isn't that much anymore? I wouldn't buy one for a couple of reasons, one being it's too damn big, second is there are no games I'm interested, and third, PS1-PS2 (+ PS3) emulation is locked behind a subscription than allowing gamers to play their discs.
Still can't even look at a disc enabled ps5, or series x, in any store, anywhere. They all want you to go online, and of course it's behind a forced bundle that tacks on another $200+ USD to the intended msrp.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL