Homebrew Found something interesting :D

Hatchetball

RepititionRedundancyRepitition
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ONLY TESTED ON TTDS! I have no idea about this working on other carts, please let me know if it does!

So I was playing around last night getting annoyed that in order to play Heart Gold/Soul Silver I had to change my TTMenu.dat file on my firmware to the old one... but then that made Pokemon Black/White not work. So I fixed that problem. ( For me anyways... )

Download link at the bottom. REMEMBER! Always back up your system files on your computer before doing any sort of testing like this! Remember to copy everything in the download and place it at the root of your cart. I am not responsible for the stupidity of others.

Honestly. I don't know a whole lot about YSMenu's system, but I found a way to play Pokemon HG/SS and B/W without having to switch firmware, but by simple renaming one file and using the old TTMenu.dat file (not the one from YSMenu download, and actually all you gotta do is change the .dat file out, I just renamed it so I know which .nds to load LOL)

When you download YSMenu (I have no idea where to find it, got it from a friend) it will come with a file known as TTMenu.nds as well as TTMenu.dat.
When you download TTMenu (TTDS site) it will come with a TTMenu.dat
(Who ever made YSMenu screwed up the TTMenu.dat because HG/SS won't work, but B/W will)

I figured... if I could get the TTMenu.nds file to read a alternate .dat file, all would be easy. A .dat file that allows use of the TTDS Menu and the YSMenu via use of TTDS.nds or YSMenu.nds ( I need something to open .dats with to do this, anyone have a .DAT file viewer???)

So insted I took the TTMenu.nds file I got from the YSMenu download and renamed it "YSMenu" (it's a .nds file)
Then I added another copy of the TTMenu.nds file back to the root.
Finally I took the old TTMenu.dat file from the TTDS site and replaced the one YSMenu came with.

So this causes the TTSystem to:
Boot into it's original looks.
Boot into common TTDS mode - Allowing HG/SS to work!

Also with the TT/YSMenu.nds file, the renamed one, it for some reason accesses the YSMenu's system
Boots with TTDS's looks, but functions in YSMenu mode - Allowing Black/White to work

So just starting the system = TTDS mode
After starting, booting YSMenu.nds = TT/YSMenunds mode

There are some bugs at the moment, as some games won't play in normal TTDS mode (but they will when you use the TT/YSMenu.nds mode!)

NOTE * when you boot into TTDS mode, if the game isn't already set for DMA mode, then it most likely will not boot and will freeze up the TTDS causing you to restart the system, BUT the game SHOULD work after running the YSMenu.nds file. I haven't tested all games, that would take a long time :wtf: I've tested about 60 of the most popular titles and all have worked for me in YSMenu mode and I'd like to say around 85% worked in TTDS mode.

If you want to do the looking, these files are not hard to find. But in this .zip are all the files you need for this to work, just copy/paste them directly to the root of your cart. Then add in games and all that... (having a clean cart is a good idea, make sure you back up your TTDS files!)
HG/SS/B/W YSMenu/TTDS Fix

(None of these files were creater by me, all I did was rename one file from the YSMenu system and use the old TTMenu.dat file to make this work! I'm not claiming any of this to be MADE by me. I just figured out how to do it :wtf:) Thanks to the creators of said files...

Enjoy. PM me of let me know if the link goes down!
(Oh and if this is NOT in the right section, please move it)

Exclaimer: After researching it, there is no need to rename the TTMenu.nds file. Obviously all you have to do is change the TTMenu.dat file... and both of them will work on the same cart... I have no explanation as of why, but they do :wtf:

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
hmm
i have an acekard 2i
but this is good discovery
Good job
biggrin.gif

Hatchetball

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only issue I seen was that certain roms froze without booting into the 2nd TTMenu.nds -
Brain Age for example wouldn't even load and froze my DS
laugh.gif

Other than that, I just miss using YSMenu's look/GUI because it kept my files nice and neat in folders, but the games work fine and the cheats are still there.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I think it might just be your setup that is causing so many weird things (btw that isn't really anything new). The YSMenu that you have included is just a version of the TTMenu kernel or something...the one that is being autobooted as ttmenu.dat is a different from that, but I think it is just a difference of the kernel version...of course, both of them don't match either of the current kernels (fake killer or fake killer disabled) or ysmenu...
YSMenu doesn't come with anything besides the extraction tools, a readme, and the ysmenu.nds (and ysmenu.ini), so whatever your friend gave you is some weird stuff.

You might want to try out building TTMenu and YSMenu from scratch, because the files you have are really...peculiar. Apart from that, your distribution has a couple of files that don't need to be distributed (you have files for the R4 as well as your system's settings). If you do try building from scratch, remember to get the latest extinfo/infolib/savlib.dat as well, since those are the things that handle anti-piracy, loading speed, etc.

Hatchetball

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
I think it might just be your setup that is causing so many weird things (btw that isn't really anything new). The YSMenu that you have included is just a version of the TTMenu kernel or something...the one that is being autobooted as ttmenu.dat is a different from that, but I think it is just a difference of the kernel version...of course, both of them don't match either of the current kernels (fake killer or fake killer disabled) or ysmenu...
YSMenu doesn't come with anything besides the extraction tools, a readme, and the ysmenu.nds (and ysmenu.ini), so whatever your friend gave you is some weird stuff.

You might want to try out building TTMenu and YSMenu from scratch, because the files you have are really...peculiar. Apart from that, your distribution has a couple of files that don't need to be distributed (you have files for the R4 as well as your system's settings). If you do try building from scratch, remember to get the latest extinfo/infolib/savlib.dat as well, since those are the things that handle anti-piracy, loading speed, etc.
It works, so apparently I don't have to change anything. It's not really complicated.
You either:
1. Boot regular as is and play HG/SS or other games
or
2. Boot regular and open the TTMenu.nds/YSMenu.nds (what ever it's named) and play all other games... like Black and White

It's a fix, it's not that special, but it's a fix. I have no need to build anything else as this works.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, I suppose if you are fine with it, then there isn't a problem...but it does make things more convenient since you can use either ysmenu (the ysmenu with the folders and such-like rather than that strange TTDS version that you currently have) or the ttmenu to play any of the commercial roms (as long as the infolib/extinfo/savlib.dat are all updated and the entries are updated as well) rather than having to swap between the two if one doesn't work. If I recall correctly though, TTMenu has a slightly better compatibility with certain roms that won't work in ysmenu, but it's only a couple games and I don't think they are major titles.

Hatchetball

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
Well, I suppose if you are fine with it, then there isn't a problem...but it does make things more convenient since you can use either ysmenu (the ysmenu with the folders and such-like rather than that strange TTDS version that you currently have) or the ttmenu to play any of the commercial roms (as long as the infolib/extinfo/savlib.dat are all updated and the entries are updated as well) rather than having to swap between the two if one doesn't work. If I recall correctly though, TTMenu has a slightly better compatibility with certain roms that won't work in ysmenu, but it's only a couple games and I don't think they are major titles.
Yeah it's a weird TTDS version for sure. Wish I knew where PyRo got those YSMenu files from.
As far as I know it's the TTDS 1.17 firmware and the latest YSMenu firmware (have no idea where it was found :wtf: I want to know though lol) the only thing that's really diffrent is TTMenu.dat.
I still don't understand why loading the 2nd TTMenu (I named YSMenu in mine) causes it to (apparently) use YSMenu's settings and allow access to Black/White. (not proven, yet, still doesn't make sense as the TTMenu.dat from the official site is not updated to run Black/White)
The infolib/extinfo/savlib.dat are the most recent (but they are not the ones released by darkspirit recently, they work cause the Game ID's match the rom ) just edited with my Black/White Game ID's so people will have to make sure the Game ID's match (and they should cause the patchers for V3-V4 Official have the same Game ID's, just gotta change the usrcheat.dat to match the rom for cheats)

It's annoying to me that my files are no longer arranged "neatly" with the YSMenu GUI, but I can deal with it as everything still works fine for loading roms, there is still moonshell/moonshell2 to use, and I can still load all roms properly.
I only posted this cause I didn't see anyone trying to fix the issue with the latest TMenu.dat (from the YSMenu download) - issue being it was ok for running Black/White but HG/SS would error on the save file for some reason. It's a weird/lame work around, but it's a work around I guess lol

It started as theory and worked. Pretty much the same thing that I did when I figured a easier way to use the english patches on roms and get TTDS to recognize the Game ID's (which pissed some people off). Releasing guides to the public seemed to anger them worse... oh well lol

Garchomp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, im using a R4 SDHC w/ysmenu (its my friends so i cant test it right now)

I created a ysmenu using the generator where it boots from file browsing for R4/M3 etc.

I found updated infolib, savlib, and extinfo from your download

will this work on the R4 SDHC Revolution?

Hatchetball

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Garchomp said:
Ok, im using a R4 SDHC w/ysmenu (its my friends so i cant test it right now)

I created a ysmenu using the generator where it boots from file browsing for R4/M3 etc.

I found updated infolib, savlib, and extinfo from your download

will this work on the R4 SDHC Revolution?
Not sure, you are more than welcome to be the first to test it for the R4 SDHC Revolution. I know it works for TTDS.
If anyone would like to test any more cartidges just post and let me know which one it is
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Hey