Found Dreamcast - Thoughts

Dylaan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay so I was going through a pile of junk I saw on the way to school. Nothing much noteworthy, loads of computer shells and useless motherboards... It was raining so I didn't want to hang around, but my eyes caught a box labeled 'Dreamcast'. Took it home, sadly no cables or anything, but it looks as if it should work, I got a CRT screen from the same place that works perfectly...

Anyway... Should I flog it on eBay, try get cables or just throw it out?

Dylaan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice, I was hoping it would be worth keeping. Do you have to soft-mod it or does it just play burnt discs?
tongue.gif
Any idea how much controller/s and an AV cable would cost and or where I can get them? What would you recommend? eBay, a games shop, pawnbroker or where?

Oh, and just wondering, do they have online play?

DarkMatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Most games will work fine just from being burnt with Alcohol 120 or Imgburn. Some however will need a bootdisc, so you might end up needing to burn one of them too.

You might want to check out dcforums.co.uk - there's a bunch of stuff there you might find useful as well. (I'm a member there and it's a good little community). There's a surprising amount of stuff floating around on the net for it though, so give it a look
happy.gif

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
You found a Dreamcast? Oh you lucky devil. That takes me back, ah, nostalgia. There was just something about that baby that made it special, I could never quite put my finger on it. Anyway... you should definitely try finding some cables and games. When you have a Dreamcast, you should never ever let it go *nod*.
happy.gif

R.I.P. Dreamcast.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
But... why? The dreamcast's almost perfectly emulated on PC, only you can squeeze better resolutions. AND you don't need to burn CDs, as chankast can use isos.

I think the only game I miss that I can't get working thru emulation is ecco... And even then, My old DC still collects dust.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
But... why? The dreamcast's almost perfectly emulated on PC, only you can squeeze better resolutions. AND you don't need to burn CDs, as chankast can use isos.

not everyone has a top of the range powerhouse PC to run dreamcast games on their PC.

as for the OP finding a dreamcast, lucky you, it's a great console and i've had mine for years now, but why would you consider selling it?

Dylaan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
So, are you saying I should sell it and just use emulator or what?
frown.gif
I was kinda excited... I might try get cables just so I can see if it works, no?

And on a side note, it's an ex-demo console, there are blueprints that were in the box that say how to assemble the display unit... Shame I can't get the unit itself!
tongue.gif
I'm gonna go back tomorrow and see if I can grab anything else.

DarkMatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I think the only game I miss that I can't get working thru emulation is ecco... And even then, My old DC still collects dust.

The same reason people still play real SNES consoles, or Amiga's. You can't beat the real hardware. He's gotten it for free, so all he's paying for is a video cable, controller and VMU
happy.gif

Plus, DC's deserve to live
tongue.gif

Dylaan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure if I should create a separate topic for this, but I have two Sega Genesis (think only one works, but needs RF cable) and a perfectly good Sega Master System II. Again, they're sitting in the roof collecting dust, any ideas?

Oh, and I already asked this but can I play online still or has the service been discontinued? It has a modem.

DarkMatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh, and I already asked this but can I play online still or has the service been discontinued? It has a modem.

Some games still work online, others don't. Check out Online Consoles to see which ones are online and which ones aren't.

Also, there's a web browser for the DC - DreamKey for PAL ones. If you send an email to Sega Europe, they'll ship you out a copy of DreamKey 3.0 for nothing. They sent one out to me a couple of years ago, from what I hear they're still doing it. Sega Europe have been incredibly helpful actually - they've sent me PSO keys for copies I bought on eBay, DreamKey, etc, all at no cost to me. Good stuff for a console that's long dead (at least in everywhere but Japan).

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
hmm, i really want to find a dreamcast myself, considering i'm a homebrew nut!

Also, there's a web browser for the DC - DreamKey for PAL ones. If you send an email to Sega Europe, they'll ship you out a copy of DreamKey 3.0 for nothing. They sent one out to me a couple of years ago, from what I hear they're still doing it. Sega Europe have been incredibly helpful actually - they've sent me PSO keys for copies I bought on eBay, DreamKey, etc, all at no cost to me. Good stuff for a console that's long dead (at least in everywhere but Japan).

wow, that is pretty impressive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good deal. I love Sun chips. I also love Rye chips, and had to order some from Amazon cause can't find in stores much anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking subways like that'll be $3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/1Ic2tqw_AmM?si=JprHwElZWw_oO_ii