Found an HDGM1. Eager for modding ideas.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So over this past weekend, while looking through different shops for stuff that I could do regarding console modding projects, I stumble across an HDGM1 ( High Definition Genesis Model 1 ). While it came with an RF adapter that was not even for it, and a busted controller, I thankfully found the composite A/V and the headphone-to-RCA cables needed so I could use the thing and verify it works.

For me, this is quite the throwback. And it's got my modding motivation going for what I could do with it.

It also helps that I was very recently able to finally find a working CRT TV at last, with a working component video input as well (480i, but still). I was just trying to think of what I could do to improve it further via modification before requiring moire hardware.

Reason I was still able to have spare, working controllers was because my fiancee kept her original Model 2 Genesis. However, she's made it clear that she doesn't want any of her systems modded. Hence why I was motivated to find a moddable SNES ( thread ) and couldn't believe my fortune in securing this unit.

Mods I was thinking of already would be...
  • I remember seeing that it was possible to add some industry-standard RCA, and even S-Video out from the system.
  • I did manage to secure a Japanese RGBs cable for a Sega; however, it's made for the Model 2 system, not my new-old Model 1. I was briefly entertaining the thought of seeing if I could add a model 2-style A/V out jack, say in place of the RF out that I never intend on using again...
  • Obviously, I would intend on Neptunizing it, both for more selection of games, but also if I ever get myself an Everdrive for the unit, I can then play every Genesis and 32X game, ever. :P
  • Maybe if there was a way to give it Component Video out like I intend on doing with the SNES...
The obvious upside with a model 1 is that there's a lot more space inside to work with for modding purposes. I'm just trying to think of the best way to go, like if I basically only have this, while say leaving room in case I am able to get any of its add-ons to better complete the system.

Drud1995

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ever checked into the cables being made by HD RetroVision? They seem to be working on some component cables right now for both Genesis 1 and Super Nintendo. Great results with no modding necessary might be a good choice. The Genesis does already output RGB, so S-Video would be the inferior choice. Retro Console Accessories has some fantastic scart cables available right now though if you don't want to wait on the component. Just get a cable and a SCART converter box. The can still give an output quality 90% of what the FrameMeister can do for a fraction of the cost.

Links:
SCART Cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161639540959?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

SCART Converter:

Component box for your CRT TV:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCART-R...hash=item337dfa167b:m:mL77q83PIBdVHyF2RvMlcww

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I... don't have the best experiences with ebay resellers at present.

Still better than NCIX, though. But I don't trust ebay, especially with its fondness of marking things up beyond practicality; or for then promising a system at a great price, only to get the box for it filled with a cinder block. Also, looking at the picture in question, the SCART cable there would not facilitate stereo audio. And the Component box has no way to output audio, either. I bring this up not so much for the Model 1, but more if say, I switch the Model 2 over to it, or for other systems that would pump their audio through the same cable.

For what it's worth, S-Video would still be better than the composite I am having to make due with. Once up and running, I started to remember one of the things I didn't like so much with CRT's... the kind of bleeding of colors I tended to see on composite, and especially RF. Fuzzy text just irks me, especially if it's supposed to be legible.

I keep hearing of these said component cables from them, but see literally nowhere carrying them. At all. They're about as vaporware at this point as Starcraft: GHOST.

Last edited by codezer0,

Drud1995

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cables are supposedly still in manufacturing according to their Kickstarter. Never had a problem with eBay to this day. Just buy from reputable sellers with good feedback, as anything else is protected by eBay's buyer protection program. Nobody can scam you anymore with a cinder block or some other stupid thing unless they make it VERY clear that they are really selling that to you. Even then, I'm not so sure. Good luck anyways with whatever you decide upon!

Last edited by Drud1995,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no such thing as a "reputable seller". ebay, unlike a site like Newegg or Amazon, has zero accountability when things go wrong. Hell, eBay won't even take payments outside of Paypal anymore, which demands to be linked to a bank account. Even if they offer a "buy it now" button, it's usually countermanded by a shipping rate more expensive than the item is worth. Or some other nonsense like that. Even when everything goes right, the simple matter is that I have such an extreme lack of trust with the way eBay is by design, so I can never truly believe anyone on there. I could have more of a rant, but it would totally derail this thread.

That said, even if I could find a component-based solution, there is a part of me that would want to find a way to do some extra stuff inside. I guess the question now is, would an HDGM1 need to have any caps or resistors replaced?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o