Homebrew Question FOSS boxboy?

ButtonMarkedErase

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I was thinking about making a FOSS version of BoxBoy, but I'm afraid the big N might come knocking down my door lol... I was planning on using Godot and change up all the assets and I think I may be good? Would I have to change the level design as well so it's not infringing anything or would that be safe to copy over?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hey everyone, I was thinking about making a FOSS version of BoxBoy, but I'm afraid the big N might come knocking down my door lol... I was planning on using Godot and change up all the assets and I think I may be good? Would I have to change the level design as well so it's not infringing anything or would that be safe to copy over?
You could allow people to import the assets and levels from an actual copy of the game. Much in the same way open source engines typically do. There is nothing illegal about making a from-scratch engine for a game, as long as you don't include anything copyrighted/trademarked.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

ButtonMarkedErase

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could allow people to import the assets and levels from an actual copy of the game. Much in the same way open source engines typically do. There is nothing illegal about making a from-scratch engine for a game, as long as you don't include anything copyrighted/trademarked.

But how would users be able to get assets of the game that's on the 3ds? I don't plan on doing this and instead only having assets I've made but I'm curious as to how one would do that.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You can remake the game as you want. Where the asset ripping conversation came from, I don't know.

But I'd recommend making new levels. What's the point of making a game that exists already?

ButtonMarkedErase

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking of keeping the same level design since this version would be on the switch, whereas the first one is only available on the 3ds

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Welcome back