Formating PC question?

dragonblood9999

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello everyone, I am not a noob when it comes to everything pc but that does not mean that i am stephen hawking when it come to everything PC.

Ok so now that that is out of the way my question is that i have a pc that someone asked me to format for them. They have a 1TB hdd partitioned into 2 500GB drives and they want me to save all of there data, over 400GB to be exact, and i wanted to know if i can copy all of the data to one of the partition's and format, reinstall windows, on there main partition, if the hdd will lose the partition's and the data.

I have done this on my pc, but i have a back up of my pc that i made when i first got it, and when i use it to reinstall windows all of my data that is on my other partition stay's the same.

So i don't know if it will do they same.

They have a downloaded iso from micro$oft and the cd key they bought from micro$oft( so it is not a pirated version)

thanks for any help

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I am not a noob when it comes to everything pc but that does not mean that i am stephen hawking when it come to everything PC.

Ok so now that that is out of the way my question is that i have a pc that someone asked me to format for them. They have a 1TB hdd partitioned into 2 500GB drives and they want me to save all of there data, over 400GB to be exact, and i wanted to know if i can copy all of the data to one of the partition's and format, reinstall windows, on there main partition, if the hdd will lose the partition's and the data.

I have done this on my pc, but i have a back up of my pc that i made when i first got it, and when i use it to reinstall windows all of my data that is on my other partition stay's the same.

So i don't know if it will do they same.

They have a downloaded iso from micro$oft and the cd key they bought from micro$oft( so it is not a pirated version)

thanks for any help

Yes, you can do that no problem, but it's probably a good idea to have a backup of the backup data in case something goes horribly wrong.

Reactions: dragonblood9999

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Partitions are independent.

If you format one, the other will remain untouched.

Copy the 400GB from partition A to partition B, format partition A and install Windows on it. Leave the data on B, or copy it back to A.

Reactions: dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, you can do that no problem, but it's probably a good idea to have a backup of the backup data in case something goes horribly wrong.
Partitions are independent.

If you format one, the other will remain untouched.

Copy the 400GB from partition A to partition B, format partition A and install Windows on it. Leave the data on B, or copy it back to A.

ok thanks to both of you i just wanted to make sure.
i have done this before but that was with a backup of windows so i wasn't to sure

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @The Real Jdbye, there wasnt even a conversation in place