Formating PC question?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by dragonblood9999, Jul 12, 2013.

1. dragonblood9999
    OP

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    Hello everyone, I am not a noob when it comes to everything pc but that does not mean that i am stephen hawking when it come to everything PC.

Ok so now that that is out of the way my question is that i have a pc that someone asked me to format for them. They have a 1TB hdd partitioned into 2 500GB drives and they want me to save all of there data, over 400GB to be exact, and i wanted to know if i can copy all of the data to one of the partition's and format, reinstall windows, on there main partition, if the hdd will lose the partition's and the data.

I have done this on my pc, but i have a back up of my pc that i made when i first got it, and when i use it to reinstall windows all of my data that is on my other partition stay's the same.

So i don't know if it will do they same.

They have a downloaded iso from micro$oft and the cd key they bought from micro$oft( so it is not a pirated version)

thanks for any help

2. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Yes, you can do that no problem, but it's probably a good idea to have a backup of the backup data in case something goes horribly wrong.

dragonblood9999 likes this.
  3. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    Partitions are independent.

If you format one, the other will remain untouched.

Copy the 400GB from partition A to partition B, format partition A and install Windows on it. Leave the data on B, or copy it back to A.

dragonblood9999 likes this.
  4. dragonblood9999
    OP

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    ok thanks to both of you i just wanted to make sure.
    i have done this before but that was with a backup of windows so i wasn't to sure