• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Food Shortages, Wendy's takes Burgers off Menu

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I agree that the people you're voting for would do more to stop the spread. The problem is how they would; Kim Jong Un shoots everyone in North Korea who has it, and NK is a communist country.
Is it the same source that claimed Kim was dead?

The DPRK may actually have no cases at all. They closed the border very early. Russia did so as well but they did let Europeans come (which is how it spread to Russia). The Democrats shot themselves in the foot in the beginning. The should have demanded a complete border closing instead of replicating the naive "does not respect borders" meme. If they had done so, they could actually blame Trump today.

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,
Reactions: Amadren

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
But over time, people will become more susceptible to it due to weaker immune systems.
I don't know where you got that idea. A stay at home order is not the same as a stay indoors 24/7 order.

"experts"
Yeah, y'know, the opposite of Youtubers and reality TV stars. People who have dedicated their lives to one study.

Suppose you own a small business.
Suppose you ever want to own a small business. $7.50 an hour makes that perpetually impossible. And loosening regulations so that it's easier for corporations to muscle out the little guy doesn't help either.

Gee, it's almost like random acts of violence occur every day in the US. Also worth noting that his research wasn't going to produce an instant cure/vaccine either way, it would only serve to speed up the research process some.

I agree that the people you're voting for would do more to stop the spread. The problem is how they would; Kim Jong Un shoots everyone in North Korea who has it, and NK is a communist country.
The US has the most infections and deaths by far, and we're a capitalist country. In fact, one could say that the capitalist thought process is precisely the reason why we were so unprepared for this pandemic, and why we'll be just as unprepared for the next one too.

Of course it's silly to pretend there isn't more nuance to the situation, North Korea is a dictatorship and the US is essentially a banana republic, with the leaders of the two countries being corruption BFFs. Obviously South Korea is a much better model for how to handle outbreaks such as Covid, and proof that even a capitalist country can protect its citizens as long as the government actually gives a fuck about them.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Obviously South Korea is a much better model for how to handle outbreaks such as Covid, and proof that even a capitalist country can protect its citizens as long as the government actually gives a fuck about them.
Only considering profits can indeed be a problem. But that´s not even the case in the US either. The US government spends an enormous amount of money for the unprofitable military. By just reducing it by half you could probably not only have healthcare for all but also give it to everyone in North and South America (not that it would be desirable, just saying). The crazy thing is almost nobody addresses this point. Trump ran as an anti foreign intervention candidate but he always wanted to make the military as powerful as never before. Sanders complains about the billionaires all day long but never talked about "defence" spending either (as far as I know). The only exception is Ron Paul but he is shunned by the media. I wonder why...

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know where you got that idea. A stay at home order is not the same as a stay indoors 24/7 order.
Uh...yeah it is.
Yeah, y'know, the opposite of Youtubers and reality TV stars. People who have dedicated their lives to one study.
That being journalism, disguised as medical advice.
Suppose you ever want to own a small business. $7.50 an hour makes that perpetually impossible. And loosening regulations so that it's easier for corporations to muscle out the little guy doesn't help either.
Eradicate the minimum wage.
Gee, it's almost like random acts of violence occur every day in the US.
Gee, it's almost like flu deaths occur every day in the US.
The US has the most infections and deaths by far,
Correction: the most reported infections and deaths.
even a capitalist country can protect its citizens as long as the government actually gives a fuck about them.
Trump issued the stay at home order in the first place. It's the liberals that don't give a crap about us; this was gonna only last two weeks to get the hospitals ready, rather than until the end of time to do something that has never been done once in human history.

Last edited by UltraSUPRA,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Uh...yeah it is.
You were misinformed. People were out walking their dogs in my neighborhood every day during the stay at home order, it's easy enough to comply with social distancing in that type of situation.

That being journalism, disguised as medical advice.
I never mentioned any article or news outlet, it's strictly what the experts are saying regardless of where you get your news.

Eradicate the minimum wage.
I mean, I guess if you want people to get desperate enough to eat the rich, this is probably the fastest way to get there.

Gee, it's almost like flu deaths occur every day in the US.
It's almost like we've had various protections and treatments against the flu for decades, and we've only known about the existence of Covid-19 for less than a year.

Correction: the most reported infections and deaths.
And we're still under-reporting in many states.

Trump issued the stay at home order in the first place.
About a month too late and after governors had already been forced to take action individually, sure.

The meat shortages we're facing now aren't because of resistance to re-opening, either, but because so many processing plants did re-open just to find a majority of their employees infected. We're getting the worst of both worlds by closing too late and re-opening too early.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: slaphappygamer

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
"experts"
No, dipshit. Experts. As in: people with actual expertise on the field they're talking about. Just because you found quotation marks on your keyboard doesn't mean you can just dismiss their stance as opinions. :angry:

@Xzi and others: I'm sorry you've got to share a country with these kinds of morons.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
But over time, people will become more susceptible to it due to weaker immune systems.
Yeah, not how this works.

Infection rate is the same, weak immune system or not.

(Oh, and while we are at it, weak immune system is nothing thats a universall thing someone can just have, or that someone gets, if they dont go outside often anymore. (There are allergies, there is aids (/auto immune illnesseses), and there are people producing less antibodies, for this virus, but not for another, and we dont know why.))

Lets say your point were correct, and staying home, made people sick with different illnesseses, thereby making them at least more susceptible to dying (infection rate still would be roughly the same). That percentage - would still be so low - that people carrying the virus around, sometimes with no, or only mild symptoms is the bigger issue here, IF your medical system is on brink of being overtaxed, which in the US it is.

So the more people carry it, the more people get sick, the more the health system is taxed, the more people die. 'Weak immune system from people getting not enough sun' doesnt compare risk profile wise.
-

Staying home works as many people are getting over the virus at home, or in hospital - but at the same time, stopping the exponential infection rate. While people are on curfew. And lowering the overall number, quite radically, as you prevent further spread, while people get over it.

If you then open up stores again, even if the infection rate becomes exponential again, but from a far lower case number (people got over the infection in quarantine), even exponential growth is less worrying - for a time. If numbers become big again, same procedure, or hopefully some sort of treatment becomes available.
-

Now here is where you are right. In certain businesses (gastronomy) losses now are losses that dont get 'reconsumed' after a curfew, jobs lost now, doesnt mean, that they will come back when curfews are lifted, and unemployment rises throughout the US.

So ultimately curfews will have to be lifted as a result of that. That doesnt mean, that peoples consumption behavior will be back to normal right out of the gate.

And at the same time, if you press on doing it faster, infection rate in the population is higher, and you've gained not as much as if you could have, if you kept curfews longer.

The next time your hospitals become overfilled people will be less likely to comply to curfews to 'fix that' anyhow. So why not give it at least one good try?

Its not like someone could overlook, that the economy doesnt like curfews. And its not like someone wouldnt have thought of that unforseeable effect, of people getting less well the longer they are isolated.

Its just mainly, that all those fruit juices, and yoga lessons, and fitness centers really have no effect on your immune system at all (medium term (as in months not outside), and its absolutely the right thing to ignore your theory of 'but more people will die from not jogging enough'. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Economic perspective in canada, should anyone want more in debt information:

Also some new polls in the EU point towards curfews in france and belgium not being upholdable for very much longer. ;) (Majority of the citizens is against it by now.. ;) )

Last edited by notimp,

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Mama Corona

Attachments

• DdGQc5uVwAAtxn5.jpg
    DdGQc5uVwAAtxn5.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: notimp

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
Kinda hard to stay at home when people need to go to the grocerie store to buy stuff to survive. Majority of covid patients were people staying at home. Got infected going out doing essential things.

God bless you if you think stay at home orders includes somehow not buying and therefore not ingesting food for 2+ months.

lmfao

Amadren

Pasta Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just find that surprising that you are all pushing for lockdown and staying this way to "save other people" but you never think about how much an economic hit will kill too.

The deaths related to economic crisis in the USA are counted in the millions, I mean come on, it's not speculation, we had global crash of the stock market before, and we'll have more in the future. The Fed printing billions of dollars to save the stock market is only creating economical bubbles that will just explode later on, while making a huge increase in inflation.

Soon, the lockdown will cause poor people to not being able to afford basic supplies and healthcare. Patient with chronic illnesses are not going to the hospital anymore because they are afraid to die of covid. Heck, even hospitals are shutting down altogether because they don't have enough patients.

Put simply, it's more like, poor people will either die of covid, or of hunger/homelessness. /shrug

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
What? Where did I say that?
I literally even quoted you. Maybe read the quote to find where you made that suggestion. Jesus how much help do you need?

And Amadren you have no hard data to support a societal collapse like that is incoming. I'm very ready for this lockdown to be done too now but let's not be inventing things hmm?

Last edited by Waygeek,

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I literally even quoted you. Maybe read the quote to find where you made that suggestion. Jesus how much help do you need?

And Amadren you have no hard data to support a societal collapse like that is incoming. I'm very ready for this lockdown to be done too now but let's not be inventing things hmm?
I never said that. I never said people shouldn't be eating.

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
The opposite, in fact, is what you implied.

You're arguing that stay at home orders should be lifted, because people need to buy groceries.

Except buying groceries is not covered by stay at home orders.

You are very, very confused. God bless you.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
The opposite, in fact, is what you implied.

You're arguing that stay at home orders should be lifted, because people need to buy groceries.

Except buying groceries is not covered by stay at home orders.

You are very, very confused. God bless you.
No, never said that. Stay at home orders helped reduce the amount getting infected. I know myself and what I meant more then you. Unless you know me more then I know myself.

Few people still got infected going out to get groceries because fully staying at home is not possible because people need food, so we will see most infected that are following stay at home rather then people breaking the stay at home rules.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I've had plenty of time to think over my response.
You were misinformed. People were out walking their dogs in my neighborhood every day during the stay at home order, it's easy enough to comply with social distancing in that type of situation.
If a large part of the population were thieves, would theft be legal?
I never mentioned any article or news outlet, it's strictly what the experts are saying regardless of where you get your news.
These "experts" that you're talking about are likely the same ones that sent out infected tests and chose a Swedish high school dropout over a trained doctor to discuss Winnie the Flu.
I mean, I guess if you want people to get desperate enough to eat the rich, this is probably the fastest way to get there.
Small businesses tend to be very generous.
It's almost like we've had various protections and treatments against the flu for decades, and we've only known about the existence of Covid-19 for less than a year.
That fact that Flu Bear is even an issue stems from the fact that we don't have a vaccine for the flu in general. Only flu shots that give you temporary antibodies.
And we're still under-reporting in many states.
Please adjust your statistics to account for population.
About a month too late and after governors had already been forced to take action individually, sure.
It was so that we wouldn't overwhelm hospitals. This quarantine has lasted so long that we'll end up overwhelming the hospitals anyway because so many doctors are being laid off.
The meat shortages we're facing now aren't because of resistance to re-opening, either, but because so many processing plants did re-open just to find a majority of their employees infected. We're getting the worst of both worlds by closing too late and re-opening too early.
That's because more and more tests are becoming available, not because more and more people are getting it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If a large part of the population were thieves, would theft be legal?
I have no idea what point it is you're trying to make here. Not a single governor declared it illegal to take a walk outside during the stay at home order.

These "experts" that you're talking about are likely the same ones that sent out infected tests and chose a Swedish high school dropout over a trained doctor to discuss Winnie the Flu.
Like I said, pick your own expert. As long as they have even a rudimentary knowledge of infectious diseases, they'll tell you the same damn thing. Dr. Fauci has been a part of the CDC since the early 80s IIRC, he's served under like ten different presidents. Nobody needed to learn his name until now because every president other than Trump simply took his advice.

Small businesses tend to be very generous.
So noble of you, shifting more of society's burdens off of the billionaires and corporations at the top, and back down on to small businesses and individuals already struggling to stay afloat. /s

That fact that Flu Bear is even an issue stems from the fact that we don't have a vaccine for the flu in general. Only flu shots that give you temporary antibodies.
True, but the flu was never as deadly or infectious as COVID-19 even before we developed shots for it.

Please adjust your statistics to account for population.
I didn't post any statistics. Under-reporting is under-reporting, regardless of the exact number.

It was so that we wouldn't overwhelm hospitals. This quarantine has lasted so long that we'll end up overwhelming the hospitals anyway because so many doctors are being laid off.
That doesn't make any sense. Issuing the stay at home order later than we should have is exactly what caused so many overwhelmed hospitals. Fewer people going out means fewer people getting infected. I haven't heard of any doctors being laid off, but if that is happening, it's surely the result of pure greed at the executive level.

That's because more and more tests are becoming available, not because more and more people are getting it.
It's both, otherwise only tests for antibodies would be turning up positive at such a high rate.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think