All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I was going to suggest my own handwriting, but we're out of printer ink here so I can't do the online handwriting-font converter thingy (it requires you to print a template, write on the template, then scan the template back to your computer and upload that to the website and it'll convert it to a font).

...I was also thinking of suggesting the Zelda Hylian fonts, for Zelda discussions, then I remembered that not a lot of people know Hylian enough to be able to read it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that in most cases fonts will not show up unless the user has them installed.

Now there have been some technologies to implement automatic font use by the browser, but as far as I know support is still shakey for some, in fact Firefox implemented just enough of certain font technologies to pass Acid3, not to be usable, since they didn't care to implement that specific font technology (SVG fonts).
(Then Acid3 removed that part of the test.)

Anyways while the CSS3 version of font embedding seems nice and seems to work fine in the latest stable release of Firefox/Safari/Chrome, it's not supported in IE9 (or earlier), and as for mobile browsers those are often lesser than desktops feature-wise, not sure if they support it.

Just my two cents as always.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that in most cases fonts will not show up unless the user has them installed.

Now there have been some technologies to implement automatic font use by the browser, but as far as I know support is still shakey for some, in fact Firefox implemented just enough of certain font technologies to pass Acid3, not to be usable, since they didn't care to implement that specific font technology (SVG fonts).
(Then Acid3 removed that part of the test.)

Anyways while the CSS3 version of font embedding seems nice and seems to work fine in the latest stable release of Firefox/Safari/Chrome, it's not supported in IE9 (or earlier), and as for mobile browsers those are often lesser than desktops feature-wise, not sure if they support it.

Just my two cents as always.
Yeah, I forgot about that. I just see more forums that have more font choices and think "Wow, why can't I do that on GBATemp?"

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The extra font choices are generally ones that can assume to be preinstalled. The selection has grown over time, but yeah any time custom ones (like video game fonts) are used, people on IE or older/weaker browsers will simply see the default font, not the special one.

So it's not like it breaks shit, but, 'ya know, forums don't usually want to spend a lot of time coding a feature very few can make use of.

Not to say that CSS3's implementation looks hard or anything...

HEY LOOK, A DISTRACTION!

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want my opinion, More fonts = More things for people to bitch about and report.
We already get reports for people using the non-standard fonts that we do support.
Generally speaking, people don't want a bunch of alternate fonts
unless they intend to fuck with everyone.

Reactions: 3 people

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1329199307.gif
But then people can't be fancy!

Anyways I'm curious, are the reports on actual fonts, or the outside-of-text-range thing people do in EoF like this?
http://gbatemp.net/topic/320784-le-internet-glitch/

Reactions: 1 person

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The list doesn't matter, it's only a list with shortcuts to common fonts.
The Font BBcode accepts any font

testing
Of course you need the webdings font on your PC for the above to work.

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
Damn Straight, Comic Sans is epic, if this is taken away I will boycott the temp. Until I decide I miss Vulpes and Raulpica too much and come back :D

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While we're discussing fonts, can we get rid of Comic Sans? Because really... it's Comic Sans.
But Comic Sans is my happy font :)

BEING HAPPY IS NOT ALLOWED! :angry:

QFT.

Where the hell do you think you are?! Down with choice, down with fonts, down with ponies, DOWN WITH EVERYTHING REMOTELY HAPPY. Accept (@[member='p1ngpong']) as your new overlord, and welcome the new world order of sadness and despair.

Reactions: 6 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: hello