Following the controversy of Shenmue III becoming an Epic exclusive, backers can now get refunds

f39161b437eaee0b9f62abac2fd0e25b_original.png

During E3 2019, it had been quietly revealed that Shenmue III would be headed to the Epic Games Store for PC, as an exclusive. This contrasted with what had been initially promised to Kickstarter backers--a Steam key--which resulted in controversy and confusion as to how things would play out for those who paid for the game and requested a digital PC copy. When it was announced that backers would be unable to request a refund, things became even more contentious. Aiming to calm the masses, a message from the Shenmue III development team noted that the Ys Net and Deep Silver would be looking into how best to work the situation out. Now, after a few weeks, it appears that the team has come up with a solution.

Those who backed the game get one of four options:
  • a. PC Physical: Package (Disc) + EGS Key
  • b. PC Digital: EGS Key
  • c. PS4 Physical: Package (Disc)
  • d. PS4 Digital: PSN Voucher Code
For those that choose the PC option, you'll get a copy of the game on the Epic Game Store, but you'll also receive a Steam key as well, which will arrive exactly one year post-launch. Backers can also switch their platform to PS4, if they no longer wish to have the game on PC.

Most importantly, refunds will now be allowed, if none of the above choices suit you.

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of backers invested into the game out of reasonable trust for Steam, only for developers to switch to a vastly inferior and less user-friendly distribution service - it's only logical that a good amount of them want their money back, since that's just not something they were bargaining for. I do think the whole backlash was rather nerdy and not very constructive (stuff like metabombing or silly temper tantrums), but I would be pissed about it if I was a backer.
What kind of quality control does Steam/Valve in the modern world enforce? In the dim and distant past then maybe the thinnest veneer of it but that went with greenlight.

As for vastly inferior then not especially seeing it. The games work and download, and it mostly gets out of the way. Anything more than that is surely a perk. It seems so minor and frivolous a change that being upset about it seems bizarre.

DarkKaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What kind of quality control does Steam/Valve in the modern world enforce? In the dim and distant past then maybe the thinnest veneer of it but that went with greenlight.

As for vastly inferior then not especially seeing it. The games work and download, and it mostly gets out of the way. Anything more than that is surely a perk. It seems so minor and frivolous a change that being upset about it seems bizarre.
That's besides the point. People don't want this shit running on their computers that's all. One bloatware app is enough and we certainly don't want to encourage exclusivity on PC. If the game completely bombs as a result then so be it. Of course we want to play the game but at the same time we want to make a statement. Either we get the game on steam or on the pirate bay.

Reactions: Shadowfied and vpd

r5xscn

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So can someone explain the hate for Epic's service over Steam? I understand some people getting a refund because they paid for Steam key but why are some people so against using a different launcher?
Its because Fortnite bad, Minecraft good. Jk. I heard its because epic tried to make all games exclusive to its platform.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So can someone explain the hate for Epic's service over Steam? I understand some people getting a refund because they paid for Steam key but why are some people so against using a different launcher?

Barebones launcher.

Steam has a ton of features, that a lot of people like. Being forced to switch to a inferior launcher, doesn't go down well. Not every one cares about the features, to some it is "just a launcher", but those people aren't the ones complaining.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Getting a physical disk for PC is actually pretty awesome. Anyone know if it's just an unlabeled disc in a sleeve, or a proper disk with box art and everything?
proper disc with boxart and everything, BUT the disc only contains an installer for the epic client, NOT the game

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else sick of people crying about the Epic Store? Guess what the solution is, install it and quit crying. Problems solved. Do these people buy EVERYTHING they own and have EVER owned from the exact same single store? So you have to buy your PC games from more than one place now. Big deal. Get over it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's moot, shopping carts are a rudiment, not having one is dumb af
So you say. I can see a scenario wherein it is not that useful and the cost of having it outweighs not. I can't say I would say lose the feature should they implement it but at the same time if you are buying more than 3 games in a sitting and it is not a bundle then you are probably an edge case.

You also get suspended / banned if you buy too many games in rapid succession :)
Hopefully they correct their overzealous fraud detection or implement a better system.

That's besides the point. People don't want this shit running on their computers that's all. One bloatware app is enough and we certainly don't want to encourage exclusivity on PC. If the game completely bombs as a result then so be it. Of course we want to play the game but at the same time we want to make a statement. Either we get the game on steam or on the pirate bay.
The post I quoted initially said it was trust for Steam. I don't however know what Steam offers here in all that -- they still allow endless amounts of badly coded and unoptimised dross to appear on their platform. Similarly other than Epic contracts seeing some devs shelve Linux and OSX plans then I am not seeing it be exclusivity in the same way it has been understood for years, or if it is then any different to what Steam does.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

Better optimization, dedicated community forums, well-implemented GUI, stuff like direct streaming or Linux compatibility tool out of the box, better tech support, and ability to refund your game on the spot if it doesn't run on your machine for some reason. I'm not even going into basic stuff like achievements, or ability to buy multiple games at once. I respect opinions and tastes, but Epic Games Store is so objectively undercooked and bare-boned in comparison at the moment that it's not even a contest - and for some people, having undercooked, inferior frontend is a dealbreaker.

Last edited by Pipistrele,
Reactions: brenokk

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Everyone should refund. Nobody should get Borderlands 3 on Epic store, just these two things should be enough for devs to stop going with exclusivity deals. But nope, you can't get everyone to do the same thing sadly.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A few loud valve fanboys.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A lot of backers invested into the game out of reasonable trust for Steam, only for developers to switch to a vastly inferior and less user-friendly distribution service - it's only logical that a good amount of them want their money back, since that's just not something they were bargaining for. I do think the whole backlash was rather nerdy and not very constructive (stuff like metabombing or silly temper tantrums), but I would be pissed about it if I was a backer.

Its only a few, but people just cant put that into perspective. They see something online and they think its happening everywhere all the time.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Everyone should refund. Nobody should get Borderlands 3 on Epic store, just these two things should be enough for devs to stop going with exclusivity deals. But nope, you can't get everyone to do the same thing sadly.
So its ok for valve to have exclusive deals?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-