Following the controversy of Shenmue III becoming an Epic exclusive, backers can now get refunds

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 2, 2019.

Front-page
    f39161b437eaee0b9f62abac2fd0e25b_original.

During E3 2019, it had been quietly revealed that Shenmue III would be headed to the Epic Games Store for PC, as an exclusive. This contrasted with what had been initially promised to Kickstarter backers--a Steam key--which resulted in controversy and confusion as to how things would play out for those who paid for the game and requested a digital PC copy. When it was announced that backers would be unable to request a refund, things became even more contentious. Aiming to calm the masses, a message from the Shenmue III development team noted that the Ys Net and Deep Silver would be looking into how best to work the situation out. Now, after a few weeks, it appears that the team has come up with a solution.

Those who backed the game get one of four options:
    • a. PC Physical: Package (Disc) + EGS Key
    • b. PC Digital: EGS Key
    • c. PS4 Physical: Package (Disc)
    • d. PS4 Digital: PSN Voucher Code
    For those that choose the PC option, you'll get a copy of the game on the Epic Game Store, but you'll also receive a Steam key as well, which will arrive exactly one year post-launch. Backers can also switch their platform to PS4, if they no longer wish to have the game on PC.

Most importantly, refunds will now be allowed, if none of the above choices suit you.

:arrow: Source

TheMrIron2, Peloisan, Y0shII and 8 others like this.
    Discussion (170 replies)
  1. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Still not sure why people are upset (it is not like a Linux build was promised and suddenly not delivered), much less deserving of refunds.

Foxi4, tatumanu, Skelletonike and 9 others like this.
  2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    guaranteed 90% refunded :lol:

3. Godofcheese

Godofcheese GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2016
    Sweden
    Shivering Isles
    Yep, refund for me.

4. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I like how they are still trying to shove the Epic Store on you, but at least you will still get your Steam key. Should have done it this way in the first place. Much less messed up and would have been much less backlash.

Let's just hope they don't pull a fast one again. lol

damiano2712, FateForWindows and Xzi like this.
  5. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    More games for my "to pirate" list! Has been a few years since I've done PC piracy... thanks Epic for keeping the flame alive!

TheMrIron2, brenokk, Karones and 12 others like this.
  6. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    A one year timed exclusive. Yeah, that's the way to do it... Dear lord I thought we were making progress. Nope. Refunds are good, though.

7. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Crowd funding for games is idiotic to begin with.

8. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    I'm glad people are getting their refunds. People were promised a Steam release on launch. I think people have every reason to back out of this if that promise was broken.

9. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Some games would never came to live if it wasn't for crowdfunding.

Foxi4, jimmyj, Karones and 10 others like this.
  10. voddy

voddy No Title Available

Jul 14, 2013
    United States
    i m happy i didnt pre order it ... else i d be on the refund list too!

11. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Eh, depends on the game I guess? When you have a big name looking to crowd fund a game like.. Oh, I don't know... Shenmue 3, it's kind of pathetic. However, smaller dev teams aren't always in with bigger publishers who can fund their games..

piratesephiroth likes this.
  12. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    So? The Shenmue games are bad, anyway. The success of the previous entries have proven that people don't care for it.

Yu laughed at you.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Them promising multiplayer and backing out. Sure offer refunds as some kind of good will gesture if you want/can as that is a fundamental shift in offerings. From a technical sense you are some kind of investor so "this is why you never invest what you can't afford to lose" is in full force but hey.
    Them making people use an alternative free launcher on an identical system for the same game (or indeed potentially better if it the deal resulted in some assistance with dev)... not seeing the need.

Why? People club together to make projects, purchases and more happen that would otherwise take a lot of finance all the time. Why would it not be an option for games or inherently flawed for use in games? I have many problems with the amounts asked for vs the timeframes and results expected to be achieved but as a general concept there are more than enough people interested in games to fund the development of games if they all club together.

Skelletonike and tyrantnyx like this.
  14. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Norway
    Grand Line
    I'm actually glad it's an Epic Store exclusive. Steam has gotten way to greedy to begin with.

15. diggeloid

diggeloid Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    United States
    Getting a physical disk for PC is actually pretty awesome. Anyone know if it's just an unlabeled disc in a sleeve, or a proper disk with box art and everything?

16. Godofcheese

Godofcheese GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2016
    Sweden
    Shivering Isles
    Greedy?
    In what way

Consoles takes the same cut as them.

17. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    A lot of backers invested into the game out of reasonable trust for Steam, only for developers to switch to a vastly inferior and less user-friendly distribution service - it's only logical that a good amount of them want their money back, since that's just not something they were bargaining for. I do think the whole backlash was rather nerdy and not very constructive (stuff like metabombing or silly temper tantrums), but I would be pissed about it if I was a backer.

TheMrIron2 likes this.
  18. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Refund. I regret backing this project.

19. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere See i would put something here if i knew what to

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Just pirate this game
    Waste of money
    fuck deep silvet

Pluupy, SlasherGamer21 and Ziko like this.