PS1/2 FMCB Checklist

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lali ho!

Right, I'm wanting to hack my 7K series slim PS2. I've been studying the matter and lemme just see if I've got everything in the right order. Please correct any errors I make.

1) Open up the system and block the disk spin sensors, allowing me to swap disks mid-game.

2) Burn a copy of Agent Under Fire with the Driving.ELF file equipped to it.

3) Play through my newly acquired official copy of Agent Under Fire until I reach level 2 (shouldn't be difficult)

4) Swap disks then load up mission 2.

5) Follow on-screen instructions to begin installing FMCB from USB keystick

6) Boot up system with FMCB memory card to enable use of ISOs stored on USB Keystick/copied disks.

Have I missed anything?

Secondly, as I understand things this will allow me to use PSX backups as well. Does anything need doing to any of the following games to allow playback without the glitches and freezes I've encountered while playing them on my PSP?

- Alundra
- Final Fantasy 9
- Silent Bomber
- Legend Of The Dragoon
- Tales of Destiny.

Anything else I need to know, or have I got everything in order? 'cause I can start as soon as I find a blank DVD. I'm supposed to have over a dozen around here but I can't find any
frown.gif

Failing that, anyone close by wanna just install it for me? Would save time and greatly reduce the risk of me damaging those spin sensors since I'm notorious for being a bit ham-fisted when it comes to small technology. I broke my EZ Flash 3-1 just trying to replace a battery
frown.gif

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is correct.
there is a new way to do it however that doesn't have any potential to harm your system with disc swapping.
http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/free-m...ls-released-40/
you just need a ps2 memory card to usb adapter for the PS3.
though you can still do the AUF exploit if you already have it, and as for psx backups you'll need cogswap and a original psx game i believe, you can also already do this with the psx swap trick with no mods except for sensor mods.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
#6 should read "Boot up system with FMCB memory card and load a iso from usb or network with open ps2 loader or a ESR patched back-up disc"

don't forget to rename your iso like this: SCES_507.60.ICO.iso (32 character limit)

if you don't want to patch your iso before burning them, you can always use swap magic3.8

for ps1 games, you need an original ps1 game and psxlauncher.elf or cogswap
http://versatile1.wordpress.com/2009/12/26...2-v9-and-above/

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This is why I love my PSP and my old DS Lite before it died on me. Hacking on them was a matter of 'put card in machine, select game, play'. All these file names and techno-babble nonsense gets on my nerves
frown.gif
If it wasn't for the fact that PS2 games that work are obscenely rare around here, I wouldn't even bother.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like you should just invest in a chip if that's what you want.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
xist said:
Sounds like you should just invest in a chip if that's what you want.

And these chips will just let me plug my USB Keystick in and play whatever? If so, what are we talking in terms of costs, dangers, etc?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
C'mon Blaze, a Modchip. You must be familiar with them....

Play burned discs etc....native USB loading no but you can get a cheap one with Dev modes (like the Modbo i believe) to launch elf's from Memory card and use OPL that way for USB play.

Ultimately the best way to play games from a non disc medium is either over the network or on a Phat PS2's internal IDE connection.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
modchip is the easiest way in terms of software manipulation and all, however they may be harder to install depending on the price you are ready to pay. (20$-40$, solderless being pricier of course)

I know fmcb may sounds hard or weird at first, but it isn't that bad.
The hardest part is to install it the first time, after, it's just a matter of fiddling around to understand how the stuff works.
the best advice I can give you is to install the noobie package on your first installation to see how it works.

the noobie package comes with:
Open ps2 loader (loads iso from usb, network or hdd)
ESR loader (loads disc back-up patched with esr patcher)
Ulaunch (launch elf (ps2 executable) that weren't installed with your fmcb installation and advanced MC management, file management/browser)
sms (media player)

probably the hardest thing is to figure out how will your ps2 works once fmcb is installed, so there it goes:
when you boot your ps2 without discs, you have a menu that appear (browser + config), when fmcb is installed that menu will be longer. The name of the program you chose with your fmcb installation will appear there (if noobie package, the name of the aforementioned program + fmcb config. util. will be aded).
This is a screenshot of the new menu you will have (except with different applications)
http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/....8/centered.jpg

From there you simply choose what you want to load, if it is a esr patched disc, click "esr", if it's a iso from usb click "Open ps2 loader" and that's it.
There's a bit fiddling the first day to understand how everything work but once you get your stuff functional, the operation is pretty seamless, with the exception of ps1 back-up which require rebooting and disc swapping.

@xist, 7000 (v12,v13) ps2 have ide controller, but it's not wired. It's possible to install a hdd on those with a kit like hdcombo, or some home-made method.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
marcus134 said:
@xist, 7000 (v12,v13) ps2 have ide controller, but it's not wired. It's possible to install a hdd on those with a kit like hdcombo, or some home-made method.

Which is why i said a phat PS2. Given the amount of work HDCombo or HDPro (or similar) would involved i don't think that it's practical for Blaze, far easier to use FMCB+OPL on a cheap used old style PS2 with a NA and internal drive. USB gaming doesn't cut it and whilst ESR is nice for slim's i'd still worry about the laser (plus burning and patching hassle).

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ugh. Typical. Asked my tech-savvy neighbour to loan my a couple of blank DVD-R's to burn my first couple of games and the copy of AUF, and she dropped off half a dozen CD-R's which are of no use to me 'cause they're too small to hold anything
frown.gif

slayerdx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i had a question. You do those steps to install FMCB onto a card, what happens if you already have FMCB installed on a memory card. Is there an easier way to install it onto a 2nd card?

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
slayerdx said:
so i had a question. You do those steps to install FMCB onto a card, what happens if you already have FMCB installed on a memory card. Is there an easier way to install it onto a 2nd card?
If you already have on installed on one card, you can install it on to the other.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK. DVD R's acquired thanks to a timely donation from Heather. Never thought to ask her, to be honest. Turns out she's got hundreds of the damn things she never uses. All I have to do now is block those sensors. As I understand it, there are 3 of them? Is it absolutely necessary to open up my PS2's case to block these sensors? It's just the dog WILL get into anything I'm doing so having extremely small screws loose around the table isn't exactly practical. I'm to understand I just have to block 3 little sensors with tissue paper, I'll be following a youtube vid on the subject as I hack this thing. Any last minute advice you guys can give me to avoid me fuckin' this thing up?

Off topic, just watched Screwattack test out the Nyko power pack for the 3DS. Looks like a good deal, $20 for doubled battery life. Anyone know anywhere a UK gamer like myself can acquire one? How much should it cost here 'cause I'm not too savvy with exchange rates.

EDIT: Sorry to sound dense but the vid I'm following says there are 6 screws on the underside of my PS2 I need to loosen to open up the system in order to block the sensors. I CAN'T FIND THEM. Are they underneath the little rubber 'feet' or something? 'Cause I seriously can't see a single screw. The model number reads as SCPH-70003. Can that even be hacked? I can't see any of the sensors or the screws. Please help this utter newb.

See, this is why I don't hack shit.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD DAMN IT!!!!

I've blocked the two easy to get to sensors (the ones I don't need to open the PS2 to block) but I can't get to the third one because the screws are so ludicrously tight they won't move. At all. And then the internet died for about the last half hour for the entire street (problem with the big green box we all go through) and as such my downloads stopped and cancelled. Thanks for that.

Suggestions?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.