Gaming FLV player

WeeBabyDoll

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I downloaded FLV player last night as I was trying to watch a film online, only it was running slow. Anyway, upon restarting my browser it changed my homepage to
http://flvdirect.iamwired.net/ which my WOT says isnt a trustworthy site. I changed it back to the original homepage and uninstalled the program.
I tried to go onto a movie site to catch up on my favourite TV show and it sends me to the same site. WTF is going on?!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Congratulations, you installed a PUP, Potentially Unwanted Program. The funny thing is, it's not considered a virus since it doesn't spread itself, you chose to download and install it, not reading the license agreement which said they'd do this shit.
frown.gif

Check the addons for your internet browser, and remove the one the program installed.

EDIT: Then use VLC for playing FLV videos, it doesn't pull any of this crap and is well-known.

EDIT2: Argh, typo. Again.

WeeBabyDoll

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I checked my addons, and there is nothing except the ones I installed already. My own stupidity really...
I uninstalled FLV should that not have sorted the problem??

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Check your hosts file.

1) Open Notepad as an Admin (if you're on Vista or Windows 7)
2) Click Open & browse to C:/Windows/System32/drivers/ect
3) Select to see "All Files" in the drop down menu from the "Open File" dialog box
4) Click Hosts
5) Should look like this.

If there's anything else delete it but you MUST have the 127.0.0.1 localhost line. Unless there are lines that you know are suppose to be there... (like when you pirate Photoshop CS4, there are blacklist URLs there or you'll get caught...)

Good Luck.

Also, give us a link to FLV player's installer. Lemme check it out.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've got VLC on, although I use a separate player for FLV usually; I'm guessing you've installed a different version to what I use...

WeeBabyDoll

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey,
under 127.0.0.1 local host was
# ::1 localhost

Here is a list of my extensions-
AdBlock plus 1.1.3
WOT
Yahoo toolbar
Flashblock

And my plugins -
Adobe Acrobat
Divs player netscape plugin
Divx player
Google plugin
Java deployment toolkit
Java platform SE 6 U14
Mozilla default plugin
Shockwave flash
Silverlight plugin
Windows live photo gallery
Yahoo! Browser plus plugin

Hope this helps
smile.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The version I use is located here, so you can give that a try if you want. Also, I don't think you should provide the link for that other site, just in case.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Definitely a virus. The countdown for when their "offer" expires, reset each time you visit the page. How to remove it will be revealed shortly after I experiment on my Windows 7's XP Mode.

EDIT: The installer is 290KB, why not just hold up a sign that says HI IM A VIRUS. (technically its adware). NVM, it connected to the site during installation. Its one of those installers that downloads the actual installer from the main site. Like Avast!.

EDIT2: Everything's fine.... It didn't change my homepage or anything... O.o then again I'm using IE6 since its XP mode on Windows 7.

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country
did you know you can play .flv in almost any media player or just open it with your browser, downloading a player just for flv is idiotic

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Check this out: link

You're not the only one my friend. My suggestion: Download & Install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Run a full scan and let it fix your computer ;D

EDIT: Just did a scan with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware on my XP Mode Environment. Did a QUICK Scan and it found 54 infections. All FLV Direct Player. Well there's the solution & proven too.

EDIT2: Just got a new PCWorld Mag in the mail. Title pertains to Security Threats and how to remove them. Wanna borrow? hahaha jk.

If you ever have anymore virus related problems you can always check out Rydian's very well written & formatted guide on how to remove infections. link

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
nitrostemp said:
no one wants to use such a sad program
It's the program that comes with windows.
It can't play FLVs.
Therefore, you do need to download something to play FLVs on windows.
Somebody that doesn't already know about FLVs could easily be led to download a program they don't need to, like the OP did.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021