Gaming flickering computer screen problem

fairlyevenparents

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last night my computer screen started flickering, it kept on flickering getting lighter and darker every flicker(just by a little bit).It also made a noise kinda like when you see light bulbs in horror movies flickering on and off. So my brother said to turn off the screen and I did. when i get back from school it stopped flickering. I went outside for a few hours and came back in to find it flickering again. what should I do?

fairlyevenparents

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
Check and see if your monitor is still in warranty. Usually they have more than one year from the manufacturer.

It's past the warranty.
so I can't do that
glare.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is a flat panel LCD display, not a CRT, right? LCD monitors use fluorescent lamps as the backlight (unless it's an LED backlit monitor), and they eventually burn out and flicker just like the ones in grocery stores and horror movies.

If that is what's going on, you will either have to replace the lamp or replace the monitor.

fairlyevenparents

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
This is a flat panel LCD display, not a CRT, right? LCD monitors use fluorescent lamps as the backlight (unless it's an LED backlit monitor), and they eventually burn out and flicker just like the ones in grocery stores and horror movies.

If that is what's going on, you will either have to replace the lamp or replace the monitor.
My brother said its a flat panel LCD display, I'm not really sure if he's right.
It flickers but every now and then it'll go back to not flickering

QUOTE(Rydian @ May 10 2010, 09:53 PM) If it does it connected to another computer, it's fucked. You'll need to find somebody that can fix it IRL.

It's not connected to another computer

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
zuriel102 said:
Rydian said:
If it does it connected to another computer, it's fucked. You'll need to find somebody that can fix it IRL.

It's not connected to another computer
That's not what Rydian meant. He meant that if you connect it to a different computer and it still does this than it is the monitor, not your computer.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If it's the monitor, it'll happen no matter what computer you plug it into. In that case, it's probably the backlight as mentioned above.

If it's the graphics card (or just the cable) then it'll prolly be fixed when you plug it into another computer. That implies bad shielding or dirty/broken pins. Personally, I think it's the monitor.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's possibly magnetic interferance. I've seen it happen. Take it over to a buddy's house, in a different house. That way you can test both where the problem lies AND if you are receiving interefance.

Alternatively, you can take a laptop and plug the monitor outside your house or something crazy like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: It's Mayday fellas