flashing the 360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by woody0, Feb 9, 2008.

Feb 9, 2008

flashing the 360 by woody0 at 8:39 PM (1,810 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. woody0
    OP

Member woody0 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    tomorrow i'm having my 360 flashed for £50 and it comes with 3 game of my choice, also from then on, games come at £6 a game or 4 games for £20 and i have 2 questions

1. is this price a good deal?

2. if it is flashed am i still able to go online?

2. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I suggest you flash it yourself, it's not that hard. And in case you need to update the firmware, you'll know how.

I don't think the deal is worth it. For $15 a month, you can get as many 360 games as you like on Usenet.

You'll be able to play on Xbox Live, just be careful to use good backups only so you don't get banned.

3. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    1. Uuuuuh... Personally no, I think it's a bit too much considering how few work it is (open a 360, connect the drive to a PC, flash...), but each their own, and that you can simply buy a DVD+R DL for 2£ and burn the games all by yourself.

2. It depends on what firmware you get flashed with. You can only go online with the latest iXtreme firmware (1.4) and with GOOD stealthed games. If you get a bad stealthed game, you might be banned.

4. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Damn, thats like $100 US. Kinda expensive if you ask me, even with the games. Try to see if you can flash it yourself. If that doesn't work out then I guess you have no choice but to pa the guy.I also recmmend you get yourself
    a dual layer dvd burner for cheap, download and burn your own games. This shouldn't be a problem unless you're on dialup or something.

5. jalapeno

Member jalapeno GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    buy a kreon drive = $50 on ebay [so you can copy disc yourself]

cost of game rental + cost of dvd+r dl = less than £6

you never know whether the guy will be using quality discs... also

if you're happy with the price go for it....

.... but you can save some $$$ in the long term and the short term if you do it yourself.

6. woody0
    OP

United Kingdom
    well my friend has had his done by the same person last week, hes gone online on over 30 online games and its been fine, also my dad is thinking of buying me a samsung DL DVDRW for his computer that i can use off of ebay for just under £20 and because its flashed, can you just download ROMs and write those onto disc or do you have to copy them yourself from rentals or something?

EDIT: and theres no turning back now as iv sent it in with the games i want and the money, im just now waiting for a call to say its done

7. modshroom128

Member modshroom128 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    lol he said roms

8. woody0
    OP

United Kingdom
    well the word ROM is what im used to as i have an R4 and thats what files they use, ROMs, i mean i dont know what files are used, anyway onto topic, iv searched the internet and i can download these "files" ready for burning but i dont have enough space on either my computer or laptop, so id rather rent, then copy and put on disc, then delete the file, and if needed, learn how to stealth these games and everything.

9. martin88

Canada
    Well the steps are basically:
    1. Buy DVD-RW drives that can write dual layer disk
    2. Buy Verbatim DVD-DL Disk
    3. Download Xbox 360 ISOs
    4. Burn them onto DVD-DL disk
    5. Play

Provided you have flashed your 360's drive.

10. woody0
    OP

United Kingdom
    but are ISOs stealthed properly?

11. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    This is way too expensive. I got a SATA card about 18 months ago now for less than £10 that does the job on my samsung drive. I always think people are very silly who pay to get it done, for a few reasons.

1) You will almost definitely have to upgrade again, so you'll have to pay again
    2) You will be banned from live, maybe it'll take M$ a few months to collect enough data to ban you
    3) If you need to flash back to the original firmware, you'll have to pay again

12. martin88

Canada
    You can check with Mulleter. But most ISOs on Usenet are scene releases, and are safe for live.

13. woody0
    OP

United Kingdom
    whats mulleter? and whats Usenet?

14. nicholas9576

Newcomer nicholas9576 Member

United States
    Im not sure what mulleter is but usenet is a service kind of like bittorrent but you can download the same stuff at http speeds. But you have to pay for usenet, It ranges from $10-20/month from what ive seen.

15. woody0
    OP

United Kingdom
    ahh. i think id rather use my UTorrent, as thats my fastest download program

16. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Not necessarily.....you might get lucky like me and your ISP will provide it for free. Just check and see first. Because its definitely the way to go to get your collection up. I use torrents as a last resort.

17. Knab

Member Knab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    true some isp's do have news servers like roadrunner...sadly they went from letting me have 12 connections down to 4 [​IMG]

so i went and bought a monthly service unlimited for $20 a month now which i dont regret now i have 14 connections lol.

with as much as i download im not getting ripped off. i think im up to 235gb so far this month lol

18. woody0
    OP

United Kingdom
    well for now theres no point in me downloading them yet as one. i only have enough space for one ISO at a time, and i also dont have a dual layer DVD writer at the minute, if anyone of you does, could you pm me please as i have a request.