Hacking Flashed vs Nonflashed

Do you have your NDS(Lite) flashed or not flashed?

• Flashed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NonFlashed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

neojei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's probably been asked before, and I was just so stupid that I couldn't find it (tried search, and searching for it manually couldn't find a topic). I'm just wondering how many people have their DSes flashed vs those who don't have it flashed. Posting why you flashed/didn't flash it would be good. Was thinking this might be good for those thinking about flashing or not flashing. I myself am still debating this, and came to a conclusion to flash my DS Phat, and leave my DS Lite stock. Thanks
smile.gif

Update: Though I'd list why people are flashing and not flashing in the first post.
Flashed:
-Supposed battery life last longer.
-Didn't want to lug around an older passme device.
-Download play.
-Malicious software (malware)
-Removes splash screen.
-Removes health warning screen when not using stealth.

Not Flashed:
-Risk of malware is significantly low that there's hardly a reason to bother if you play your cards right.
-Don't want to invalidate warranty on a new system.
-Might blow a fuse during the process (known for DS Lites)
-Might brick while flashing. (Only occurs if the progress of flashing did not reach 1% and over. Not tested with slot 1 solution yet.)

Issues brought up about flashed hardware:
-Very few games do not work (about 2 DS games and 1 GBA game, has been confirmed about the 2 DS games.

I think a thread like this is worth it because, people ask why they should and shouldn't and some people are just like "just flash it it isn't hard." That doesn't exactly help people.

Superchimp-uk

Trophies
XP
Country
Not Flashed - got a passcard3
Only reason is because it's new and I didn't want to invalidate the warranty.
When the warranty expires I'll probably flash it then.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Unflashed. I would reccomend flashing though. I would have my DS flashed, but I'm not too sure about flashing it myself, since electronicky things tend to go belly-up when I mess with them
shy.gif

neojei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From a test done at scdev, there wasn't a significant difference between using a passcard and not for battery life, just 10-20 minutes.

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am suprised no one has mentioned that there are some games, not a lot mind you (the two new puzzle games are the only ones I can think of right now) that have or have had problems with the flashed DS and not the DS with the Flashcard.
huh.gif

Edit: Oh, and for some reason I think Racing Gears GBA also.

CYatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flashed. But I did it just because I got my Phat DS in Nov last year, and my M3CF came with a Passkey 1. No way I was gonna lug that thing around just to play video games.

There was also that argument about, Malicious content and random bricking, and that a flashed can be restored, vs a pass device not being able to do anything. But, I'm hardly worried about that

With all the smaller pass devices now, If i bought a DSLite, I might leave it stock and just get a Passcard3 or something

But.....
Flashed so I could download play from DSs that use flash carts.
I hadn't thought of this. If ya can't Download Play from DSs that use flash carts without flashing, then that might become a deciding factor. I do remember having to flash some of my friends Phat DSs a while back so we could play Tetris DS and such. But I guess that only matters if ya got friends with flash carts, otherwise you could just flash their DSs
tongue.gif

Also if more games start to not work with flashed DSs, that might become a problem unless Flashme's updated. You could always unFlashme, but eh.

Just stuff to think about. Good luck

Kaphis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
flashed..only for one reason..to download play~

thats all the reason I need~ even if Ihave a DSL that is under a month old...the whole point of DS and the wifi + download play~ Wifi is fine flashed or non-flashed but a lot of games only work with flashed when using download play.

neojei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone elaborate on this download play problem? I've read other threads but people just usually say "flash your ds" and that doesn't help. Other times it's just confusing.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The reason I flashed mine was I got the Max Media Launcher and it doesn't have sleep mode. The MML didn't seem to have the same features as the flashme and I've always used flashme on my old DS with no problems. Flashme saves a lot of hastle and I have a DS game in the back for the sleep mode.

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
Flashed. It's so easy to do and nearly impossible to screw up. People make it out to be harder than it really is. If you have a Lite then take a sliver of paper and put it on the left side and use a nail foil (nail + foil + tape) and flash it. Takes about 30 seconds.

Dwaalspoor98

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
2 X Silver 'Phat' Nintendo DS (FlashMe7)
Flashed in the DS 'early' days with wifi (Because the only other option available was a custom made passme device)

1 Black DS Lite (Passcard 3)
Flashed immediately, didn't know I couldn't go back (at least for now)
frown.gif

On the other side I hear you get a better battery life when flashed?

UPDATE: Just brought the DS Lite back to the shop for a new one (I couldn't live with a yellow tinted bottom screen) And now without flashme
tongue.gif

Cards:
Flash2Advance 256 Mb + (This one ruled with PogoShell)
Ecube 1Gb (This one Sucks!)
Supercard (This is almost perfect (Phat & Ugly but has great DS compatibility and cheap), never tried for GBA)
G6Lite (Seems to be great)

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All 5 of my ds lites (including my gf's) flashed directly out of the box. Flashed my friends as well. Why you ask hmmmm....why not? There are no disadvantages except the stupid warranty that I don't plan to use anyways. And every other sense it's an advantage? What if it breaks? Buy a new one, probably a better color or whatever by that time nehow.

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All 5 of my ds lites (including my gf's) flashed directly out of the box. Flashed my friends as well. Why you ask hmmmm....why not? There are no disadvantages except the stupid warranty that I don't plan to use anyways. And every other sense it's an advantage? What if it breaks? Buy a new one, probably a better color or whatever by that time nehow.
This was true in the beginning but now there are a few games that seem to, inexplicably, have a problem with a flashed DS. There are not a lot and it may be no big deal right now, but the fact that it can affect compatability may be considered a disadvantage.
huh.gif

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you're talking about 2 games that you can just soft reset and start playing it afterwards.  it's hardly an issue.
Can you get racing gears advance to work?Not meant as a snyde comment, there are a bunch of people that can't get it to work) Also, as I said, it is not a huge issue now, but there is a difference and before someone figured out a workaround it did not work for many. Again, they were minor titles but it seems as though all it really needs is an update to the flashed FW. I just hate to see the one sided approach to every single topic and when you say there is no downside I would say there is the potential of a downside and as it stands now, unflashing a DSL is not recommended. (Not really sure what that means but, boy, it sure sounds ominous)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4FTASzSPThM?si=i8JRmmFkpcXXIT7o +1