Flash drive for expanded storage?

DeadOneWalking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a Wii U (as a gift), and am realizing that the internal storage is rather lacking. To expand the storage, I am considering getting a 128GB Samsung Fit Plus drive, but I keep seeing mixed things about using flash drives for expanded storage. I don;t have the space for a self powered HDD, and my only other options are either a portable HDD or get a laptop HDD, an enclosure, and a Y cable which I can't afford.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a Wii U (as a gift), and am realizing that the internal storage is rather lacking. To expand the storage, I am considering getting a 128GB Samsung Fit Plus drive, but I keep seeing mixed things about using flash drives for expanded storage. I don;t have the space for a self powered HDD, and my only other options are either a portable HDD or get a laptop HDD, an enclosure, and a Y cable which I can't afford.
Get a wall power HDD thumb drives will have a quick and sudden death and not only that USB ports don't output enough power is why Nintendo recommends wall powered HDDs

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lemme tell you an old story about this one guy who installed BOTW on a USB stick, thinking it was all well and good. Big brand name, fast read/write speed, plenty of space for games and what not. Despite other people told him not to use the stick, or even Nintendo recommend against it yada yada. He went ahead and do it anyway, hey it works so whatever right?

Fast forward after 80-90 hr of game time later and wouldn't you know it, the freaking stick gave out and he lost everything. Games, saves, dlc, not just BOTW but the works. That guy was me and since then I've using an external HDD with no issue since 2018, with y cable of course.

But if you wanna go ahead and repeat the same mistake, just like a bunch of people then go ahead. It'll work for awhile but you'll be sitting on a time bomb.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Wii U`s own specific filesystem is writing a lot to the drive, even in standby. And because of limited writecycles of the flashdrive they are not recommended. Like mentioned before, its a timebomb.
HDD is recommended and they work fine with Y-Cable on WiiU as long its a USB 2.0/USB 3.0. Enclosure might work too.

Reactions: jeannotte

tmnr1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lemme tell you an old story about this one guy who installed BOTW on a USB stick, thinking it was all well and good. Big brand name, fast read/write speed, plenty of space for games and what not. Despite other people told him not to use the stick, or even Nintendo recommend against it yada yada. He went ahead and do it anyway, hey it works so whatever right?

Fast forward after 80-90 hr of game time later and wouldn't you know it, the freaking stick gave out and he lost everything. Games, saves, dlc, not just BOTW but the works. That guy was me and since then I've using an external HDD with no issue since 2018, with y cable of course.

But if you wanna go ahead and repeat the same mistake, just like a bunch of people then go ahead. It'll work for awhile but you'll be sitting on a time bomb.

I killed a USB flash drive after playing Super Mario Sunshine for a few minutes, so yeah not recommended at all.

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been using the same USB drive for a couple years and its still working fine.

Its one of those things that you probably shouldn't do but if you just don't care then roll the dice i guess, iirc aroma stores your saves on the SD card so if the USB stick dies then its not as big of a deal.
I am not sure about that save thing tho but coulda sworn.

DeadOneWalking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I went ahead and got a USB2 2.5" enclosure and a cheap 128GB SSD. Actually cost about $3 more then flash drive because the SSD was on sale, and the enclosure was on clearance. I have used the enclosure brand and model before and the only issue I ever had with it was the cable they included.

The specific stuff I got was Inland brand for both, Inland Enclosure 128GB Inland SSD

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would a mSATA/NVMe external SSD work fine as a Wii U drive?
It would have the same problem as other flash media. The Wii U OS constantly writes to external Wii U-formatted media and SSDs have limited write cycles.

I somehow managed to get through BotW on a 32 GB SD card via a USB adapter. And I didn't had any problems with it while I was using it. But it probably tanked the write cycles. So although everything might seem okay in practice, in the background it's slowly decreasing the life of the storage device.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A bit overdosed :P But it may work with a USB-adapter. Someone used here for a mod as internal drive in WiiU.

Personally I'm more of the "small formfactor, easily concealed in a thumbdrive package" type, don't like having external media hanging onto the consoles I have.
External 2.5" drives are just a tad to bulky imo.

Yeh I seen that one, at that rate I'd much rather develop a Sundriver solution haha.

It would have the same problem as other flash media. The Wii U OS constantly writes to external Wii U-formatted media and SSDs have limited write cycles.

I somehow managed to get through BotW on a 32 GB SD card via a USB adapter. And I didn't had any problems with it while I was using it. But it probably tanked the write cycles. So although everything might seem okay in practice, in the background it's slowly decreasing the life of the storage device.

Tbf I'm not using the Wii U all that much so longevity isn't to much of an issue, besides, wouldn't modern SSDs do wear leveling on a controller basis, independent of OS?
I think the whole "limited write cycles" thing was true in the past, when SSDs where relatively new.

Anyway, do you have a link to a more detailed explaination of how the Wii U writes to external media etc?

Reactions: AQS

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyway, do you have a link to a more detailed explaination of how the Wii U writes to external media etc?

I don't. I would be interested to know the details, too. As far as I'm aware, all we have to go on are the disclaimer Nintendo have on their website about external storage for Wii U and the many anecdotal accounts of flash drives suddenly dying.

I'm sure it's less of a problem on newer SSDs. I guess it comes down to a cost to benefit analysis. Could still be worth it.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
wouldn't modern SSDs do wear leveling on a controller basis, independent of OS?
Ya they do to expand the lifetime. They keep the writelevel of all cells on a constant same level, by writing the information everytime to another location. But dont know which manufacturer and flashdrive (SSD, nVME, microSD) support it.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't. I would be interested to know the details, too. As far as I'm aware, all we have to go on are the disclaimer Nintendo have on their website about external storage for Wii U and the many anecdotal accounts of flash drives suddenly dying.

I'm sure it's less of a problem on newer SSDs. I guess it comes down to a cost to benefit analysis. Could still be worth it.

I can fully believe flashdrives dying, truth be told, I've got a 128 GB flashdrive in mine right now, has seen maybe 50h of gameplay in total and hasn't died or degraded. it's just that SSDs are a tad more advanced then flashdrives ;p

I suppose I shouldn't complain about SSD cost tbf, I frequently get hardware donated that contains some form of NGFF storage, usually in very good nick.
So if anything, I just need to get meself a nice thumbdrive style enclosure, SSDs a plenty haha.

Ya they do to expand the lifetime. They keep the writelevel of all cells on a constant same level, by writing the information everytime to another location. But dont know which manufacturer and flashdrive (SSD, nVME, microSD) support it.

I'd assume the leading brands have it, Samsung etc.

Reactions: SylverReZ

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Would a mSATA/NVMe external SSD work fine as a Wii U drive?
Those would work perfectly fine, the read and write cycles are so high chances are the drive will outlast the Wii U even if it was powered on 24/7. If you have a drive that is rated to survive at least 150tb written to it the Wii U would take 220+ days of nonstop, max write speed to reach that level, and for obvious reasons they don't do that, at all.

You might want to disconnect it occasionally and run trim on a PC, though, just to ensure empty cells are flushed properly every now and then. Once all few years should be enough unless you move a lot of files around on it.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Those would work perfectly fine, the read and write cycles are so high chances are the drive will outlast the Wii U even if it was powered on 24/7. If you have a drive that is rated to survive at least 150tb written to it the Wii U would take 220+ days of nonstop, max write speed to reach that level, and for obvious reasons they don't do that, at all.

You might want to disconnect it occasionally and run trim on a PC, though, just to ensure empty cells are flushed properly every now and then. Once all few years should be enough unless you move a lot of files around on it.

Neat!, got a link to more info about the Wii U's writing process?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr