Hardware WiiU Internal SSD Mod

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Pretty simple mod I got an m.2 to usb adapter and soldered it to the pins for the back usb port. I saw someone else do something similar on youtube but they had to remove part of the disc drive to get it to fit since it was a sata drive. The m.2 with an adapter is a lot smaller and there is space for it to fit next to the heatsink cover. I used this adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08XTG7XW1 with a 42mm m.2 drive

IMG_20210622_204447.jpg

IMG_20210622_204452.jpg IMG_20210622_203526.jpg

The wires go from the pins of the usb port on the underside of the board under the fan and come out through the metal shield thing

IMG_20210622_203550.jpg

Wiring diagram here
diagram.png

Just reassembled and I think it might be blocking wifi, wont connect to my router. Managed to fix this by opening and wrapping the ssd in tinfoil. This might not be an issue with more expensive m.2 adapters or ssds
IMG_20210623_084511.jpg

Last edited by Shadow_The_Hedgehog82,

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Whaouou! Congratulations for your motivation! nice job! Let us know if tinfoil around ssdmake the wifi again!
And if you earn time when installing games? thanks !
The tinfoil did fix the wifi I think something on the ssd or converter board was making noise or something ive read usb 3.0 devices can cause issues with 2.4ghz wifi and its right next to the wii u antenna. Not sure how the speed is as i've never used another usb device itll be the same as any other sata ssd with a usb adapter i assume

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Geat work, just one adition. For a more stable power source you might want to reroute 5v VCC to the big red dot (ignore the two small ones) shown on that picture:
130373-wiiu-power-hack-png

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Geat work, just one adition. For a more stable power source you might want to reroute 5v VCC to the big red dot (ignore the two small ones) shown on that picture:
130373-wiiu-power-hack-png
I dont think It needs it, its working fine from one power pin, probably doesn't use much more than a normal usb stick

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Great mod. I love it.
Not criticizing your idea but, I was able to miniaturize my Wii U with a mini SD card reader + 256GB SD card. The Wii U can barely reach full USB 2.0 speed.

Edit:
20210724_222511.jpg

20210724_222718.jpg

Last edited by depaul,
Reactions: AQS and jeannotte

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hello after install , wiiu reconize the disk ? what is the cons and pros for this mod ?
Yes it recognised it its the same as just connecting over usb. Pro is that you dont have to have an ssd/hdd hanging about con i guess is that you gotta open the machine if you want a bigger ssd

Great mod. I love it.
Not criticizing your idea but, I was able to miniaturize my Wii U with a mini SD card reader + 256GB SD card. The Wii U can barely reach full USB 2.0 speed.
I think sd cards are still slower even if the wiiu cant take full advantage of usb 2 speeds

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Awesome Mod,Congratulations for your Work and many,many Thanks for sharing it with us !! :yay:

How about the "Heat" from the SSD ? Did it maybe affect the WiFi ? :(

Thank you and awesome Work.:bow:

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello.:)

Awesome Mod,Congratulations for your Work and many,many Thanks for sharing it with us !! :yay:

How about the "Heat" from the SSD ? Did it maybe affect the WiFi ? :(

Thank you and awesome Work.:bow:
I'm not sure about heat I redid the tinfoil nicely after taking that picture and stuck sheets on the top and bottom so air can still get in there a bit. Heat is probably fine tho since its not running at full usb3 speeds I'd imagine it will produce less heat because of that. Wifi does not work at all without the tinfoil

Reactions: Alexander1970

jul16ares

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Pretty simple mod I got an m.2 to usb adapter and soldered it to the pins for the back usb port. I saw someone else do something similar on youtube but they had to remove part of the disc drive to get it to fit since it was a sata drive. The m.2 with an adapter is a lot smaller and there is space for it to fit next to the heatsink cover. I used this adapter with a 42mm m.2 drive

View attachment 267756

View attachment 267758 View attachment 267759

The wires go from the pins of the usb port on the underside of the board under the fan and come out through the metal shield thing

View attachment 267755

Wiring diagram here
View attachment 267757

Just reassembled and I think it might be blocking wifi, wont connect to my router. Managed to fix this by opening and wrapping the ssd in tinfoil. This might not be an issue with more expensive m.2 adapters or ssds
View attachment 267790
Why do you put some tiny electronics insulation tape pieces on wires above sensor bar red connector ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1