Flash card for Gameboy Macro (NDS Lite)

duffman2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a broken NDS Lite and want to make a Gameboy Macro, and the post I find are quite old and I wonder what flashcard to get.
I see Everdrive have a flashcard that will flush with Ds lite in the hva slot, but I don't see the advantage over getting a flashcard that fits in the cheaper flashcard that fit in slot 1.

ryba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
so,what's the point?
if you're using GBA slot + GBA flashcart, your DS will run only in GBA mode, so same as stock GBA. So, You'lll be able to play GBA, GBC, GB and NES games (if your flashcart supports it through emulation)
I think this way you'll get more GBA games compatibility, also this depends on your flashcart.
if you're using DS slot + DS flashcart, you'd be better to install Twilightmenu++ cause you can enable Macro mode here and run NDS, DSiWare, GBA, GBC, GB, NES, SNES (well, not all of them), PCE, NeoGeo, ScummVM, (well.. few other system) games. IF dedicated emulator have Macro mode support.
I'm not familiar with Macro mode, so, dunno about NDS/DSiWare games that uses mostly only one screen, so... hard to judge.
other systems use it's own emulators (e.g. GBArunner2 for GBA games - there is games compatibility list so,check that)

duffman2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks that clears up some. Are there any recommendations on what flashcard that supports Twilightmenu++ to get. I see r4 is mentioned online on old post, but I believe they are discontinued and only fakes are left?
Have anyone tried the Everdrive for NDS Lite and can tell if it is worth it?

ryba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I have only R4 clones ad it works OK. the're rather cheap. Also I have Everdrive GBAX5, but I think I didn't tried it on DS, cause I didn't bother. Using it only on GBA SP. I just use R4s od DSs... So..
I don't see any NDS dedicated cart on Krikzz's web, so as I said, DS with GBA cart works just as regular GBA (without serial port for multiplayer...)

duffman2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Found this video that is pretty up to date. Ez flash have a card that fit NDS Lite, not Everdrive as I incorrectly remember.
Apparently the DS is not good at emulating GBA, so using GBA flash allows to make use of the GBA hardware.
How is your experience with GBA emulating via r4?

ryba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Yes, EZ flash Omega.
So about GBA emulation, there's whole long thread about GBARunner2, so check that out.
I'm not a big GBA player, so.. It really depends on games you'd like to play.
What do you want to play?
And def. Check the compatibility list..
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/GBARunner2
anyone else want to share their experience?

Last edited by ryba,

duffman2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I would like to play Metroid, Mario kart and Zelda. #basicbeach
Guess I can try a cheap r4 and just use it for my DS/DS lite if I'm not happy.

ryba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Yeah. Try that. In lots of GBA games I came across US version doesn't run, but EU version works. This is the case of Metroids too. I didn't play Zelda, Also not a big Metroid player, but I tried it now and EU version works (there are probably some glitches mentioned in compatibily list...). It seem OK and playable. For a MarioKart, I played DS version more. GBA has some graphical glitches in background, But It's OK for me and playable.

duffman2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Kind of forgot about updating. Got a cheap r4 clone and it works quite good in the Micro. Running Twilight menu++ and gb, gba and Nes are working allright. A bit annoying to get everything running on the button screen, have to use my ds lite to change all settings to bottom screen then plug it into the Macro.
Kind of hoped there was a version of that could fix this, but again its a super niche product and changing all the emulators and menus would be a big ask.
Pics of end result.
Purple front fra Boxy Pixel, grey front and r/l bottons and white back

Attachments

• 20240219_200345.JPG
    20240219_200345.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240219_200324.JPG
    20240219_200324.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Last edited by duffman2k,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I can't really explain it, but GBC seems to feel "better" when run from Slot 1 (GameYob) versus Slot 2 (GoombaColor). Maybe the emulator is better optimized, maybe it's the beefier hardware, I dunno. It doesn't feel as sluggish with the "heavy" GBC games for me, like Shantae. Neither emulator can get the sampling sounds right though, Pikachu's cries in Yellow and Pinball both come out sounding horrific.
Post automatically merged:

Kind of forgot about updating. Got a cheap r4 clone and it works quite good in the Micro. Running Twilight menu++ and gb, gba and Nes are working allright. A bit annoying to get everything running on the button screen, have to use my ds lite to change all settings to bottom screen then plug it into the Macro.
Kind of hoped there was a version of that could fix this, but again its a super niche product and changing all the emulators and menus would be a big ask.
Pics of end result.
One more thing you may want to attempt is installing FlashME v8 on it, but it requires the use of the X button that you no longer have. so taking the system apart is going to be essential for getting that done. I've avoided doing it myself on mine because of what a chore it will be.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One more thing you may want to attempt is installing FlashME v8 on it, but it requires the use of the X button that you no longer have. so taking the system apart is going to be essential for getting that done. I've avoided doing it myself on mine because of what a chore it will be.
I recommend getting the stealth version if you want to retain the H&S and menu screens, always be sure to backup your stock firmware in case you want to restore it. If you want to get into PassMe, then you need to hold down a button combo when powering on the system.

Instructions: http://web.archive.org/web/20071027234341/http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/flashme/
Download: https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/FlashMe

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I recommend getting the stealth version if you want to retain the H&S and menu screens, always be sure to backup your stock firmware in case you want to restore it. If you want to get into PassMe, then you need to hold down a button combo when powering on the system.

Instructions: http://web.archive.org/web/20071027234341/http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/flashme/
Download: https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/FlashMe
Getting rid of the annoying H&S screen is the main selling point and benefit of FlashMe for me, but the autoboot is nice too.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just to make sure. The benefit of FlashMe is to automatically boot to gba if a cartridge is detected?
Main goal of FlashMe is to boot GBA flashcarts into DS-mode to enable you to play DS ROMs from slot-2.

Reactions: duffman2k

duffman2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Have anyone made a custom startup gif in twilight menu for Gameboy Macro? Would be awesome to get a gba like intro saying Gameboy Macro

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Pics of end result.
No 4-button gang? :huh:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto